collapse

Author Topic: The Tamber Saga  (Read 4272 times)

Description: The Story of Tamalyn Traveler Continues

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Grand Duke/Grand Duchess
  • Face for radio, voice for print!
  • Awards Has made 9,000+ posts Has made 8,000+ posts Has made 7,000+ posts Has made 6,000+ posts Has made 5,000+ posts Has made 4,000+ posts Has made 3,000+ posts Has made 2,000+ posts A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
Re: The Tamber Saga
« Reply #625 on: December 01, 2017, 11:46:51 PM »
"You look regal while everyone fawns and grovels over you," he grinned. "And dance a bit. Watch the punch though. Breecher is charge of the punch. Don't eat any fruit out of it. Just avoid the punch."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
  • Awards Has made 6,000+ posts Has made 5,000+ posts Has made 4,000+ posts Has made 3,000+ posts Has made 2,000+ posts Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Awards
« Reply #626 on: December 02, 2017, 10:50:43 PM »
"No one fawns over me" she shrugged, "and I am alright with that. I just dislike crowds because I become no one wants to actually talk to me. I am watched and spoken about, but I might as well be any expensive chair. Serially, I should start bringingbooks with me."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Awards Has made 9,000+ posts Has made 8,000+ posts Has made 7,000+ posts Has made 6,000+ posts Has made 5,000+ posts Has made 4,000+ posts Has made 3,000+ posts Has made 2,000+ posts A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #627 on: December 03, 2017, 01:35:46 AM »
"If you had experienced more of this thing that they call small-talk, you'd be grateful to be ignored," he smirked. "Empty-headed nonsense."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
  • Awards Has made 6,000+ posts Has made 5,000+ posts Has made 4,000+ posts Has made 3,000+ posts Has made 2,000+ posts Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Awards
« Reply #628 on: December 03, 2017, 09:35:53 AM »
"I have been attempting to make small talk. I am pretty sure it just puts people in edge, they are visibly relieved when abandon my attempts and return to business." She straightened his uniform jacket. "Going to functions is easier with you, you are good at working a room and everyone genuinely wants to talk to you" she added, "speaking to me is the price they pay to talk to you" she smiled.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #629 on: December 03, 2017, 09:28:08 PM »
"We should have you walk through the ball, carrying a bloody head," he chuckled. "See if anybody asks you about it."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #630 on: December 03, 2017, 09:37:36 PM »
"Doubtful" she admitted, "though I am sure that there would be some very nervous glances. I am going to pass on the idea" she added, "no sense working those who distrust me into a tizzy. You should get to work, and I should too. Though, I am sure your schedule is filet tan mine. I may even take some time and visit another Duke or Duchess today. Perhaps I will check on the wolf clan, that should make for an interesting visit."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #631 on: December 04, 2017, 04:23:00 AM »
"Iron Wolf should prove to be interesting," he agreed. "They are building a duchy militia with a great deal of potential. They're also the first ready to take refugees."

=======================================
“Interesting,” Larissa murmured as she compared the properties of the ingredients that she considered for her elixir. Six of them had promise, but they wouldn’t work for that project, but they showed great promise to work together, and the results looked promising. She gathered samples and carefully combined and distilled them, then made a thick cream from it. She looked into the dish and dast a divination spell, and studied the properties revealed to her. She nodded and added more honey to the mix and cast the spell again, and smiled.

She sighed and made a cut on her hand, it bled fiercely as she cleaned it, then smeared a layer of her cream over it. As she suspected the blood stopped flowing and quickly formed a scab as she watched. She cast a different spell this time and observed the rate of healing. The wound closed and agents that could cause an infection here killed by the properties of the cream, then she used her sense to feel the healing begin, quicker than normal. She took another drop of her blood and cast yet another divination, and found that there were no adverse effects on her body. She nodded and put the sample into an empty jar and vanished.

Alera was a woman of incredible talent in the arts of magic and healing, Larissa stepped into her small shop and presented the jar to her. “I think I have something here,” she said by way of explanation to the older woman. Alera studied it for several minutes with her senses and a few carefully chosen spells.

“Very good,” she murmured. “Will you sell it?”

“The product, perhaps,” Lariss replied. “Not the formula.”

“How much?” Alera asked bluntly.
“I’m not sure yet, I haven’t priced the ingredients, or what equipment I’ll have to buy to make it in bulk,” she replied.

“And the jars,” Alera agreed. “Always something to consider. Such as, your own profit from this,” she almost inquired at that.

“I don’t need much profit per sale,” Larissa replied. “I would rather profit by volume of sales.”

“When you have your price, tell me, I will buy, perhaps, a thousand quarter pints.”

“Very generous of you,” Larissa tilted her head and studied the woman.

“Not at all, this is quite good,” Alera replied. “I suspect that the army would buy all that you can make, so I want to get in first, before they discover this.”

“Up to a thousand,” Larissa smiled and they clasped hands on the agreement.

Larissa roamed the markets for her ingredients, buying in bulk. Actually,  more that bulk, she was buying in lots measured in tons. Then she bought a large still to distill the essences of the ingredients, before she returned home. As she assembled the still she realized that her space here was limited, but, she would be able to do this here, at the beginning at least.  Taking breaks to see how her mixture reacted when exposed to air, which often dried and hardened creams, she was relieved to see that it was still soft enough to spread. She’d watch it for several days to see how long that lasted, then she made another small batch and rolled and folded it into a paper cone and sealed it in wax to see how it tolerated that. Then, heeding a moment of inspiration, she laid a small coil of sinew, threat for sewing wounds, into a small bottle of the cream. The rest went into a sealed jar. She made sure that everything was cleaned up and went upstairs to wash and change for supper.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #632 on: December 04, 2017, 09:39:51 AM »
"Good to know. Before you head off, I wanted to ask you if there was anything that I should, or could, be doing to make your preparations easier? This is an area that I am not very familiar with, so I do rely on you to let me know if you need assistance" she added.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #633 on: December 04, 2017, 05:13:06 PM »
"By and large everything handled at lower command levels," he replied. "They tell me what is done and what isn't, and I grumble until things get done. If I have to come to you, other than to report our readiness, then we have a problem. Or politics. Which is in and of itself a problem."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #634 on: December 04, 2017, 05:35:21 PM »
"The King has said that we, you and I, do not play the game properly. Apparently it has people quite upset because they can't get leverage on us to force to play. I have no intention of playing any games, so we will proceed as usual. No bribes, no increased bidding, fair trading and hiring only those who can live up to our standards. As for you, you go and succeed during this campaign so we can prove we are doing all the right things" she grinned and kissed him.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #635 on: December 04, 2017, 10:02:39 PM »
"We'll give them a proper thrashing," he gave her tush an impudent little squeeze. "And than turn the place upside down to find everyone we can held in bondage."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #636 on: December 05, 2017, 12:34:41 AM »
"I am sure you will do just that" she smiled, "so go get your planning finished" she said opening the door. "Or come have breakfast with me" she suggested, "either way, we should begin our day" she said sadly.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #637 on: December 05, 2017, 11:52:51 AM »
"I have morning reports waiting on me," he sighed. "I need to see to those and then meet with the Commander of the Palatine's Third Corps before lunch. She has a few ideas she wants to work through."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #638 on: December 05, 2017, 08:26:55 PM »
"I am sure that will be interesting" she nodded. She walked him downstairs to the front door and kissed him. "Enjoy your day" she added, "I need to go find Brock." She waved and went back inside.

"Brock, a few weeks ago I asked you to collect gifts for my visits to the new nobles. Have you found an appropriate gift for Iron Wolf, I would line to visit them today. They are the first duchy ready and willing to accept the refugees" she added.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #639 on: December 06, 2017, 12:00:08 AM »
The Wolf Brigade
Commander    Brigadier    Lady Bara of Wolverine. LDPO
Adjutant-Commander    Tribune    Dame Haera of Golden Bear, KPO
Battle Ensign    Legate    Pera of Iron Wolf
Quartermaster    Legate    Yenne of Iron Wolf
    1st Wolf Legion (Field Legion)
        Commander    Tribune    Lady Lara Skullcutter, LPO
        Adjutant-Commander    Legate    Dame Ara of Wolverine, KPO
        Battle Ensign    Centurion    Raven of Iron Wolf
        Quartermaster    Centurion    Casse of Iron Wolf
    2nd Wolf Legion (Garrison)
        Commander    Tribune    Dame Larsa Tigre, KPO
        Adjutant-Commander    Legate    Dame Lyra Broadmoor, KPO
        Battle Ensign    Centurion    Renne of Iron Wolf
        Quartermaster    Centurion    Frera of Iron Wolf
    3rd Wolf Legion (Garrison)
        Commander    Tribune    Sir Turan Ravencroft, KPO
        Adjutant-Commander    Legate    Dame Ella Brace, KPO
        Battle Ensign    Centurion    Gala of Iron Wolf
        Quartermaster    Centurion    Urma of Iron Wolf
    4th Wolf Legion (Garrison)
        Commander    Tribune    Dame Vera Redaxe, KPO
        Adjutant-Commander    Legate    Dame Palia Mandant, KPO
        Battle Ensign    Centurion    Deren of Iron Wolf
        Quartermaster    Centurion    Jess of Iron Wolf
    5th Wolf Legion (Reserves & Training)
        Commander    Tribune    Sir Tarant Foxford, KPO
        Adjutant-Commander    Legate    Dame Jessa Northvale, KPO
        Battle Ensign    Centurion    Talon of Iron Wolf
        Quartermaster    Centurion    Denna of Iron Wolf

The Garrison forces are half standing forces and half reserves. Every platoon has 25 standing troops, and 25 reserves.

They were two hundred miles beyond their borders, southwest of Tamber province itself. Drill Sergeant Kestrel Hawke sat halfway up a small rise, looking over the camp below her. The scouting platoon of the First Wolf Legion was gathering as they came in to share their observations of the region. Corporal Alara stepped up, looking none-too-pleased. “Arane and Vessa haven’t reported,” she said flatly.

Hawke rose and walked carefully down the slope and strode to her pack when she reached level ground. She took out her map and studied it for a moment. “They were looking out here, by the river?”

“From here,” Alara pointed. “To here.”

“Any of the rest have anything interesting to report?”

“Not much, but some indications of tracks, foot, wagon, and horse, going toward here,” she pointed to what was marked as the ruins of a village.

“Inside of Arane and Vessa’s patrol area,” Hawke nodded. “Cook before dark,” she ordered. “No smoke. I want full bellies and then everyone not on watch to get some sleep. We’re marching at the midnight. We’re going to go look for our missing scouts, and to see where all of these tracks are going. We’ll do to the tracks, and then spread out, a hundred paces between us and track our way along the tracks. I think we’ll find our missing with those that left the tracks.”

Alara nodded and left to put the order into action. She glanced back and saw the older sergeant sit by her pack and read the reports from the scout teams, making annotations on her map. The sergeant wouldn’t sleep until she’d dispatched a report. Alara was familiar and yet strange to the people of Clan Iron Wolf. She spoke with the wisdom and authority of a clan mother, but her ways were foreign to them. She was assigned to teach them the army way of doing things. She’d trained the corporals and lance corporals, and they helped her train the rest. Hawke wasn’t a strict by the King’s regulations sort of warrant, she’d been a frontier scout for ten years, most of that time working alone in dangerous country. The women of the clan, and most of the clan were women, as were most of the births, looked at her as a soft Selnen. She quickly disabused them of that notion.

Hawke did most of her training out in the field, away from the parade grounds. The first day she darted into the brush and walked out carrying a rabbit, she broke its neck and tore the head free of the body, then drank the blood out of the head and skinned the body with her fingers and made her breakfast of raw rabbit. They began to question their estimation of soft at that point. Then cast it aside entirely as she led them in fighting drills. She was merciless in any fight, even a drill, and forty-nine clan warriors, dirty and bruised marched back to barracks that evening, with orders to be in inspection order before breakfast. The women of the clans moved silently, Hawke heard them all. They were vigilant, she could sneak up on any of them.

There was nothing soft about Sergeant Hawke; Kestrel Hawke, however, watched over them like a clan mother. She knew their strengths and weaknesses, she knew who was strongest and who needed their confidence built. She watched over them. She pushed them hard. She demanded their best. She introduced them to tea. This was the most unusual thing to them. They drank water, beer, and mead. Children drank milk. The drill sergeant started every day with a mug of hot tea, with milk candy and sugar. Woe to those that disturbed her before the first cup was empty. The snickered about this until the day that she gathered them in the mess hall, each table was wet with a mug of sweet, milky tea and a honey cake. The snickering stopped.

The clan produced the five thousand clan warriors needed to build a militia brigade, three thousand standing troops and two thousand reserves, and it fell to those like Kestrel Hawke to turn them into soldiers, though not strictly-speaking, Selnen soldiers. They would still embrace their clan roots while  building discipline into their warrior natures. Hawke was very good at that, the scouts under her command demonstrated that. Finally, after the others had eaten and rolled up into their beds, Hawke sent off her dispatch and finally turned her attention to food, and sat beside her pack with a small pot of tea. She eventually dozed, sitting up and leaning on her pack. Those on guard duty noticed her moving, she held the pot of tea in her hands, warming it with that odd power that they didn’t understand, but were grateful that she’d have her tea before the march. The days that she couldn’t she shaved off a sliver of tea and held it in her cheek on the march. She was much more pleasant when she had her cup. As she’d ordered, they set out at midnight.

===============================

It took three days to reach the tracks, they spread out and followed them with care, studying all around them, scouring the ground almost half a mile to either side of the track. It was a disciplined lot, but not overly so, they concluded. Evidence of drink and wenching was evident. In a few cases they found the impression of chains in muddy patches. This prompted another report back to her legion commander, and it rose quickly from there. She received a reply that the legion was moving south by river, and they’d be accompanied by twenty keels of Frontier Fleet marines would come with them.

On the fourth day, Hawke stood chewing a ration cake and studying the horizon. “Carrion birds,” she pointed. “Circling.” They finished their rations on the march, then broke into quick step a few minutes later, a squad of the fleetest of foot went ahead. Hawke joined them over a young woman, badly beaten. It looked as if she’d dragged herself for quite a distance.

“She could talk yet, a bit, when we got here,” Lance Corporal Iliana reported. “Said that they did this to her when they caught her sneaking water to two women dressed like us, prisoners.” Hawke’s jaw tightened, but she gave no other outward sign as she rose to let the surgeons see to the woman. Iliana followed her sergeant. “She said that the soldier women were being tortured, and worse. They hadn’t broken when the girl, Berry Tallbridge, tried to help them.”

Hawke nodded and waved her corporals over. “We’re going to leave a fist, with a surgeon, with the girl. We will continue to follow the tracks, south southeast, they will move with all safe speed northeast to the river and await the Frontier Fleet ships.” She turned to the rest of them. “This is a blood hunt,” she said in a harsh voice. “Somebody is brutalizing my troopers. I want their blood on my hands.”

=================================================

With the protests of those that would miss the hunt still ringing in her ears, Hawke led the rest out. Damn what they wanted to do, she’d told them. They’d do their bloody duty, or they’d answer to her. That seemed to do it, they were building a litter as she left them. They made camp that evening at the site of two shallow graves, Hawke ordered them all away and uncovered the bodies with her own hands. What filled those graves could scarcely be recognized as women. Hawke studied them, burning the details into her mind, then became aware of her corporals standing behind her, staring with cold expressions at the destruction of two women they’d served with, and then the rest stepped up and circled around them. Hawke rose and stared off in the direction that the tracks ran. Behind her the bodies were carefully wrapped in blankets as each took a turn at digging proper graves.

Hawke wrote out a quick dispatch detailing what had happened. She included a name that the woman repeated a few times, Parsival Lecter, and after they had reburied their comrades, Hawke told them to eat and take a few hours of rest, and then the hunt would resume. Carefully concealed fires prepared a hot meal, and tea, and they ate around the mounds of freshly packed soil. Many took their rest using the graves as their pillows. They made ten more miles before they made cold camp for the night. They counted the enemy camps along the way. They were making twelve to sixteen miles a day, and had a four hay deadstart on them. They’d covered close to twenty miles, which meant that they were forty to sixty miles behind them. Hawke told her corporals this as she cradled a steaming mug.

“We can catch them either late today, or midday tomorrow,” she said. “As long as we stay strong.” She took another sip of her tea and then passed her sup around for the five corporals to have a sip. “Roust them out, we march as soon as they’ve eaten.” With that she stepped over and prepared a few kettles and warmed them all. “Drink up, it’s a long day.”

They pushed themselves relentlessly, troops could normally march twenty miles in an eight hour day, with good terrain. That day they covered close to fifty miles. These women came to her with excellent strength and stamina, and Hawke had drilled and pushed and prodded them into women of exceptional strength and stamina, now fueled by rage. Hawke had declared a blood hunt, and this was a phrase that was more than words, it was steeped into them from the blood of their ancestors.

“That last fires were only half a day old,” Corporal Alara reported. “Battle before noon?”

“Perhaps,” Hawke nodded. “If we’re lucky. They’ll be to the trees, good hunting ground. A lot of cover. String the bows, it’ll be more of a hunt than a battle.”

“That is quite correct,” a male voice said from the darkness. There was a flurry of activity as the scouts scrambled and scattered.

“Who is there?” Hawke snapped, rising to keep attention on her as her scouts vanished into the darkness.

“Creighton Bragg,” the small man replied as he walked into the cold camp. “Your dispatch mentioned Parsival Lecter, I’m hunting him. It is a special commission from the Tamber Constabulary, with interest to Lady Traveler.” He stepped even closer and she could see that he held up a signet ring, she glanced at it and saw the Bragg’s boar crest on it. “I’ve read your reports, well-written. You’re on a blood hunt, so am I. The man I’m after is capable of far worse, and has done far worse, and I intend to deliver him, or his head to the Grand Duchess of Tamber.”

“You’re the cousin-in-law to a grand duchess, and cousin, somewhat removed to four other grand dukes or duchesses,” Hawke was puzzled. “Isn’t your blood a little blue to be running errands?”

“Related by blood or marriage to five grand dukes and duchesses, cousin a time or two removed, to the Baroness of Selnendrin, and cousin to the former Baron, Count, and Prime Minister of Selnendrin,” Bragg confirmed. “And if you cut any of us, you’ll find red blood.”

“Come morning we move at wolf speed,” Hawke said grimly. “We won’t let you hold us up.”

“We won’t hold you up,” he grinned wickedly.

“We?” Hawke asked carefully.

Bragg made a little chirping noise and a dozen of the largest dogs she’d ever seen crept out of the darkness and sat behind him. “A hunt isn’t a hunt, without dogs.”

“What do you feed them?” one of the scouts gasped.

“A whole cow every three days for these beauties. I’m fresh out of cows, so maybe I’ll feed them murderers and rapists,” Creighton replied.

“Get some sleep, we march at midnight.

“Tamalyn,” Creighton wrote quickly. “I may be within a day of Parsival Lecter, if I’m not, then we’re close to thiry or more of his cronies, probably dragging captives of some sort with them. They have tortured, raped and murdered two of the scouts of the Iron Wolf Brigade, I am with their platoon now, we should contact them tomorrow, at noon or sooner. I don’t anticipate those bastards will leave many survivors.”

Before Brock could answer, Indra entered quickly and handed Tamalyn a note. "They are probably getting close now," she said without explanation.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #640 on: December 06, 2017, 12:49:01 AM »
She read the note quickly, "all the more reason to go" she explained to Indra. "I doubt we will go into the frontier proper, but perhaps have guards ready in case it becomes necessary, though I doubt that Creighton will notify me in time to join them" she added. She turned back to Brock, "perhaps something somber, yet still thoughtful" she suggested.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #641 on: December 06, 2017, 01:34:59 AM »
"Uniform," Brock replied. "Show them that you stand with them."

Indra stuck her head out the door. "Turnout the lifeguard, full armor, including mounts. Turn out the 5th Horse guards, battle array." She smiled wickedly as the sounds of running feet and shouts filled the hall. Bren Tuscorrah, Tamalyn's squire bustled into the room a moment later with her armor chest, a uniform was draped across it. Bren was partly dressed in her own armor and worked quickly to finish accomplishing herself and braced to attention after belting on her sword and the rest of the guards filed into the room in their full battle armor, and armed to the teeth. Dread looked positively giddy at the thought of a brawl.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #642 on: December 06, 2017, 01:47:48 AM »
"This is not what I said" she said giving Indra a frown. "I said to have them ready to come if needed, I hadn't meany to arrive prepared for battle. I am talking to Duchess Iron Wolf, unless absolutely necessary, I am not going into the frontier."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #643 on: December 06, 2017, 03:14:40 AM »
"They are ready to come," Indra replied. "Having them ready to armor up and come is something entirely else," Indra had a cheeky little smile. "Besides, I believe that the man Creighton is hunting has annoyed you greatly, and since this lector person was in charge of all of those criminals, it sounds like he's importing a whole new batch to replace those lost here in the city. Figuring that this would annoy you, I want to be ready if you want to go chastise him personally."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #644 on: December 06, 2017, 03:33:59 AM »
Tamalyn stared at her for a moment then looked at her uniform. Using her powers she changed her clothing, leaving Brock with the dress. "Please send the gift along when you have it arranged. I am unsure how long I will be away. It seems my guards are eager to play soldier for a bit. I will try to ley you know when to expect my return." She turned to the guards, "shall er go" she asked while focusing het mind and taking them to Iron Wolf duchy.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #645 on: December 06, 2017, 03:52:03 AM »
Duchess Galanna of Iron Wolf was standing over a map table with General Ceregent Thrall III, commander of the 7th Corps, which was headquartered in her duchy. Indra waved a sergeant into silence as he was about to announce Tamalyn.

"Drill Sergeant Hawke was very timely with her warning. According to my reports they've found the scouts carrying out the wounded slave on their way south. The marines and their keel boats are securing the river to the north and  south of the battle, and have patrols ashore to watch for anyone trying to escape. The troopship with the rest of the 1st Ironwolf Legion is ashore and deployed along the river and advancing inland into the woods from the water. Sergeant Hawke and her platoon are in the forest and have scouted the sentries and are going to remove them shortly, then they will advance deeper into the woods toward the main encampment. It is hilly and wooded, as is the river side, where another scout platoon is leading the way for the legion. The scouts and infantry will move to envelope the camp, while the cavalry patrols the edges of the woods in case of any slipping out of the ambush. The weak side is Hawke's, if they break out beyond her, she doesn't have the numbers to contain them."

"We can't push cavalry through the woods to circle behind them?" Galanna asked.

"Not without ruining surprise, they were careful to land in darkness to avoid being spotted. Hawke believes that they have some notion that she is on their trail, so she feels that their attention will be on her, they'll set an ambush and the 1st Legion will in turn ambush from the rear."

At the silence Indra nodded at the sergeant who announced Tamalyn, and all heads turned toward her.

"It looks like we've stumbled across something," Galanna greeted her.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #646 on: December 06, 2017, 12:11:12 PM »
"It does indeed" she nodded, "I am sorry to hear about the loss of your scouts. But, I think your worry over Hawke may be over stated. She doesn't have numbers, but she has Creighton Bragg and his dogs. I am sure you are not aware of his reputation, but he is a mean man who can fight like you wouldn't believe. Currently he is out hunting for me and it seems that Drill Sergeant Hawke has located his prey. Though, that is not actually they reason for my visit" she smiled, "that is a happy coincidence. I am here to see how things are going for you and your people."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #647 on: December 06, 2017, 02:03:48 PM »
"Quite well," she replied with a nod. "General Thrall has offered to see the families of my two fallen, but that is my task. I have told him I want their ashes returned to their families though, as soon as we may. I like this Selnen custom of burning the dead. Cremating, I think you call it. I've never liked graves." She returned her eyes to the map, what was happening there had her focus. "Hawke declared the blood hunt. I think she learned more of our ways that we have of hers. Good that she wanted to though. If she paid strict attention, her retribution should be terrible to those outside the Clan. But, I understand that the Wrath of the Palatine in nothing to fear less than our own."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #648 on: December 06, 2017, 02:36:10 PM »
"I think that it is difficult to quantify the qualities of retribution because each clan, service, country, family,  squad and person has different goals and purposes. For myself, the safety of the province and individuals is the most important factor. Currently, that means showing that I am not an easy mark and will destroy those who attempt to trespass against me and mine. Your people have located one who has transgressed against those I protect and I am quite pleased with the idea of a blood hunt."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #649 on: December 06, 2017, 07:07:46 PM »
"Hawke has taken out the sentries they located," Thrall called to them. "They are approaching the encampment. She reports that it is a wooden palisade up against a large stony hill. She believes that the palisade is essentially a courtyard, she believes that the hill itself is their hideout. She states that she needs the legion to come up quickly." Thrall looked over. "The scouts are very light infantry, they aren't equipped to storm a fortified position, especially with guarded walls. If they don't hit and break in, there's a chance that those inside the hill will be able to use escape tunnels." He shrugged. "This is the hazard of having to move quickly to catch and take an enemy force, you don't have the time to scout the ground without being detected. We need main force and engineers."

"We don't have heavy infantry," Galanna replied. "We're still building heavy infantry."

"I'm heavy infantry," Dreadnaught replied with a grin.

Thrall let that go. "Dispatch to the marines, leave five boats to watch the river to the north and south. Land the crews of ten of the keels, tell them to armor up for heavy combat and move with all speed to the palisade. Have the legion bring trees for rams. Have the legion hold for the marines and tell Hawke to watch and wait, unless she sees an opportunity too good to pass up."

Untitled Document

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. FARPWG - The Guild may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy (Magic site) (D&D site). For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING®, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS®, D&D®, PLAYER'S HANDBOOK 2®, and DUNGEON MASTER'S GUIDE® are trademark[s] of Wizards of the Coast and D&D® core rules, game mechanics, characters and their distinctive likenesses are the property of the Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website at (www.wizards.com)

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by any company unless specified. In order to review products Guild Members may reference trademarks and other intellectual property of these companies without intent to violate trademarks or copyrights.

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild provides forum boards, server space and bandwidth, without compensation, to support Idaho gaming and fandom.

This product is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool. process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your canceled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to ensure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in a well-ventilated are. Keep away from fire or flames. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. No transfers issued until the bus comes to a complete stop. Package sold by weight, not volume. Your mileage may vary. This article does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my cat. Don't quote me on that. Don't quote me on anything. All rights reserved. You may distribute this article freely but you may not make a profit from it. Terms are subject to change without notice. Illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental. Do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law. Hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat. Do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle. No substitutions allowed. For a limited time only. This article is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted. Caveat emptor. Article is provided "as is" without any warranties. Reader assumes full responsibility. An equal opportunity article. No shoes, no shirt, no articles. quantities are limited while supplies last. If any defects are discovered, do not attempt to read them yourself, but return to an authorized service center. Read at your own risk. Parental advisory - explicit lyrics. Text may contain explicit materials some readers may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised. Keep away from sunlight. Keep away from pets and small children. Limit one-per-family please. No money down. No purchase necessary. You need not be present to win. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Instructions are included. Action figures sold separately. No preservatives added. Slippery when wet. Safety goggles may be required during use. Sealed for your protection, do not read if safety seal is broken. Call before you dig. Not liable for damages arising from use or misuse. For external use only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading. Read only with proper ventilation. Avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool dry place. Keep away from open flames. Avoid contact with eyes and skin and avoid inhaling fumes. Do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not place near a flammable or magnetic source. Smoking this article could be hazardous to your health. The best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a condom. No salt, MSG, artificial color or flavoring added. If ingested, do not induce vomiting, and if symptoms persist, consult a physician. Articles are ribbed for your pleasure. Possible penalties for early withdrawal. Offer valid only at participating sites. Slightly higher west of the Rockies. Allow four to six weeks for delivery. must be 18 to read. Disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper reading, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized reading, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom vibrations, customer adjustments that are not covered in this list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB's, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.). Other restrictions may apply. This supersedes all previous notices.

Opinions in articles, posts and podcasts do not necessarily represent the views of The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild.

FARPWG The Guild © 2004-2017 Tim Boothby - All Rights are retained by those posting art, lyrics, messages and articles.

* About Me!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Here?

• Dot Guests: 36
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Most Recent

Re: The Tamber Saga by Lord Palatine
[Today at 12:27:25 AM]

Re: The Tamber Saga by Milady Kim
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

[Today at 12:14:25 AM]

[Today at 12:11:11 AM]

[Today at 12:01:31 AM]

[Yesterday at 11:59:29 PM]

[Yesterday at 11:50:17 PM]

[Yesterday at 11:48:14 PM]

[Yesterday at 11:35:57 PM]

[Yesterday at 06:07:46 PM]

[Yesterday at 05:56:27 PM]

[Yesterday at 03:15:47 PM]

[Yesterday at 02:46:47 PM]

[Yesterday at 01:43:36 AM]

[Yesterday at 01:15:02 AM]

Affiliated Sites

Red Zone Fandom Red Zone Fan Photography Scribe of the Realm Science Fox Serious Lesbian

Red Zone Galleries

Boise Area Conventions

Us Being Social

Guild on Facebook Red Zone Facebook Red Zone Twitter Red Zone Youtube