collapse

Author Topic: The Tamber Saga  (Read 4285 times)

Description: The Story of Tamalyn Traveler Continues

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Grand Duke/Grand Duchess
  • Saying it with Steam
  • Awards Has made 6,000+ posts Has made 5,000+ posts Has made 4,000+ posts Has made 3,000+ posts Has made 2,000+ posts Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Awards
Re: The Tamber Saga
« Reply #600 on: November 28, 2017, 10:20:24 AM »
Tamalyn shrugged, "I am certain that the same is said about me. There are numerous reasons for her to remain cool and detached, she isn't trying to win your affections" she added, hoping what she said was true. "Has she moved to Tamber permanently?"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Face for radio, voice for print!
  • Awards Has made 9,000+ posts Has made 8,000+ posts Has made 7,000+ posts Has made 6,000+ posts Has made 5,000+ posts Has made 4,000+ posts Has made 3,000+ posts Has made 2,000+ posts A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #601 on: November 28, 2017, 11:33:38 AM »
"Might be," he chuckled. "She isn't one to discuss her plans with anyone."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
  • Awards Has made 6,000+ posts Has made 5,000+ posts Has made 4,000+ posts Has made 3,000+ posts Has made 2,000+ posts Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Awards
« Reply #602 on: November 28, 2017, 11:56:53 AM »
"I see, it seems like it would be difficult to not want to see the child if you were in the same town" she shrugged, "but that could just be me projecting because I am certain that I could not do that" she said adding, "no matter where the child was. Anyway, that was what I wanted to discuss with you. I felt that you needed to do that before you left otherwise it would remain something you would do one day" she said with the barest twitch of a shrug. "Are your plans ready to present to the King?"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Awards Has made 9,000+ posts Has made 8,000+ posts Has made 7,000+ posts Has made 6,000+ posts Has made 5,000+ posts Has made 4,000+ posts Has made 3,000+ posts Has made 2,000+ posts A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #603 on: November 28, 2017, 12:08:58 PM »
"We have it all laid out, including timing," he nodded. "In fact we already have corps and companies on the move. We're going to do no good to the tottering empire, that much is certain. In fact, I have a hunch that it will break up into its constituent little kingdoms."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #604 on: November 28, 2017, 12:21:08 PM »
Tamalyn nodded thoughtfully, "it may, but I suspect that it will first create a power vacuum like Gamedien experienced after we fought them last year. Then one of the stronger kings will become the new emptor and we will start all over again" she shrugged, "I wish they would break into individual kingdoms and focus their attention to their own people and defenses" she shook her head, "but that isn't how the Empire set things up and they continue to operate on those principles, no matter how many times we try to chop off the head." It is really too bad that we can't chop off all their heads simultaneously" she added with a sigh.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #605 on: November 28, 2017, 02:47:16 PM »
"There's less and less for the imperial sorts to focus on," he shrugged. "I intend to draw out the imperial troops to the west and break them once for all. I think that what we don't kill, we strip to their small clothes and march through the west for a while, to show that they're broken."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #606 on: November 28, 2017, 03:00:01 PM »
 Tamalyn consisted that, "while I am sure it would be humiliating to some, not all would care overly much" she paused, "about the smalls I mean. The loss" she nodded, "that they would care about. But, they have experienced many humiliating losses over the years, they always bounce back, more determined than ever to take Selnendrin down, weaker and less prepared, but still determined. But, the same was true for Quarletz and Aldoreane at one point" she conceded. "We will have to see where this leads, but I am loathe to count a victory before we earn it" she added. "When do you plan to head out?"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #607 on: November 29, 2017, 02:45:24 AM »
"I'll be leaving in a few days," he replied. "Taraborne has hinted that he wants to come along, but until Admiral Fowler is able to return to duty, I'd like to keep him here in the center. We've cooked up a plan for him to threaten southern Gamedian by river to hold their troops there, so they can't reinforce the west. That should keep him busy."

========================================
Morning found eight wagons lined up along the road. Miraca greeted them with tea and honey cakes, which were eagerly received as the leaders of the four teams looked over the lay of the land. The leader of the teams showed her the plans for the long house. I’d like to place it next to my house,” she said. But would we put the kitchen closest to my house, then the washroom, then the other rooms?”

“We can do that,” he nodded.

“And, instead of a full ceiling, could we make it a half ceiling and put sleeping lofts over the rooms?” Miraca asked.

He studied the plans. “Just need a rail here,” he pointed, and stairs, don’t think you’d like a ladder. “Looks like you have enough brick and goods on hand to build it on the next plot.”

“Actually, there’s building goods on all six plots,” she said hopefully.

“That’s a lot of heavy moving,” Harad, the leader said.

“Then,” she slid the plate with cakes closer to his hand. “We had better keep your strength up.”

He chuckled and nodded. As them came back out he had them unload the tool wagons and they started their day with three teams gathering the brick, timber and all else on the sites, as the last team started preparing the ground for a house to be built. As they worked Tara and Miraca went to work as well, the children were home today, so they worked with their mother, gathering rocks and loading then into the cart as they began the process of preparing the land. Nothing went to waste, stones were piled for future use, as was dead wood. The used sticks to mark the places for hot houses and various planting patches. They went back to the house an hour or so before lunch and prepared a lunch of bread, meat and cheese, with sliced fruit and set out pitchers of mild beer and called the men to come eat.

It was a good meal for a warm day, and the beer was gratefully appreciated, even though she only put out enough for them to have a mug each. “Very nice,” he complimented her choice. We’re planning on cold ham for supper, but if you’d care to do anything with it, I’ll bring the hams to you now.” She nodded and set them inside as the men returned to work, loading brick faster than she thought possible. She was about to return to work when she heard wagons, she looked down the crossroad and saw Saddler Sergeant Oran Baranbrant riding at the head of several wagons. “I heard that you’ve come into more land,” he greeted her. “And we cleared out the stables, so I thought that you could put this to good use,” he indicated many tone of manure and straw in the wagons.

“Oh Oran,” Tara grinned and elbowed Miraca lightly. “You do know what to get for the girl that has everything!”

================================================================
A chance comment paid unexpected results. She was pushing her barrow back to her land from an overland traipse when she was greeted by one of the many area patrols. “What have you there?” One asked.

“Hawthorne,” she replied. “Actually, this is an odd variety of hawthorne, they call it a blood hawthorne, because the small thorns and the flowers are a blood color. It is used in some medicines and it makes a fantastic hedge row. In time I hope to use them as fences to keep my stock inside my borders, and keep others out. It will also be good to pen off areas.”

“There’s a whole lot to the north,” one mentioned. “About ten miles, it’s a huge mess that someone will probably clear out.”

Miraca grinned at that. “It would take most of a day to get there and back,” she replied. “Especially with my poor horse and cart, but perhaps I’ll have time one day soon to make a trip.”

“Or likely not,” the lance corporal chuckled. “You work more than anyone I know.” They bade each other a good day, and over the next few days some commented on the growing line of plants along the road by her house, and so the story was shared. They already delivered tea trees, or bushes, to her when they found them, they found that the mere mention to a certain saddler sergeant of doing such a thing meant less rebukes when trying to return one’s mount to his stables. And so blood hawthornes began appearing on her porch in the early mornings, she was further surprised to see holly seedlings begin to appear as well, apparently someone had seen them spaced along hedgerows somewhere. They drew the same smile when she found them waiting and went straight out and planted them as they appeared. Every now and then a small Frontier jasmine waited as well, and quickly found itself planted and coddled.

One day a young soldier paused in his duty to talk to her as she planted a few of the porch offerings and asked her a few questions about planting them, then bade her a good day as he continued on with the letters he was carrying for his comrades to the city to be posted. Miraca has mentioned to a patrol that she would be going to town in a few days to look for workers for the farm and asked if they’d look in while she was gone. The construction was now done, the longhouse was ready, the barn had new brick walls and there were other small buildings around the house yard, closing things in nicely. The hot houses were filled with plants and they’d continued planting tea and other crops all across the sixty acres. Slowly the place was starting to look like a large, well-groomed garden.

They went to the hiring hall early that morning, dropping the children at their school and arranged for their teacher to keep them after until they returned home, promising to try not to be too late, if they could avoid it. Such arrangements were common in the country. They arrived at the hiring hall and referred to the wage book to see what they’d need to offer as wages. They were surprised to see that if they provided room and board, a farmhand’s wages would only be three sovereigns, twenty-five shillings per year, plus the workers split a tenth of the value of the crops and goods sold each year. That last bit made them feel better about things, but two crowns, five shillings a month didn’t seem like much. A cook, they found, made six crowns a month, or seven sovereign, eight crowns annually.

“When we’re really on our feet, we can see about doing better,” Tara said thoughtfully, Miraca agreed.

The cook wasn’t terribly hard to find, one woman deftly answered every question that they two could think of, and she had two girls, one thirteen, one ten, that would help their mother with the scrubbing up. Miraca saw nothing wrong with this, her own children had their own tasks on the farm as well. After answering questions about where they would live, how remote the steading was, where the closest school was, and things of that nature, she was hired at the standard wage, and her girls would be paid if they helped their mother. The farmhands were a bit trickier to hire, Miraca was thorough about her questions and expected thorough answers. “I am not above teaching people what they need to know, but I need something to build on. We work hard, and we try to work smartly, and if we have any hope to succees, that is what we all must do. But, by evening she found her seven workers, all with slightly differing abilities that would mesh to give them a broader base to work from.

While the women gathered their things, Miraca and Tara went to their favorite outfitters, where Tara teased Loren and Miraca discussed four barrels of mead, and five pounds of herbal soap bars that she’d produced. She wanted a full field kitchen provision, this was a tone, a literal ton, or foodstuffs, staples, spices and more. It would fee fourteen soldiers for forty five days, or her small community for close to two months. He tested the soap and tasted the mead and offered her a straight trade, to sweeten the deal, he added a few pounds of dried sausage. When he found that she wasn’t interested in the beer or rum that came with the standard list, he threw in a bushel of varulan fruit, warning her that the fruit was very close to being past their best. She accepted them gratefully, and a couple of pounds of candies that he added out of guilt. Garath, the proprietor, found the liked the two ladies, and Miraca and his Garath’s wife Deara were becoming friends, she’d even visited the steading, telling her husband that when they were fully in operation, her goods would be well worth his interest. Gareth and Deara Makepeace were hardworking folk themselves, and so they appreciated and admired her industry and all sides found each other’s refreshing.

Loren and a few others loaded her goods in the delivery wagon, packed close when Loren heard that they had eight women and four children that were coming home with them. They all loaded up in the cart and wagon and made their way to the steading, and new home to most of them. When they’d returned, close to sunset, they were puzzled by the stretch of her property along the Tamber City Road and then down the edge of her property along the crossroad, then they realized that it was all planted with a mixture of hawthorne, holly and jasmine, planted in the same basic order that she used when she planted them. Miraca realized that the soldier was on an spying mission to see how she wanted them planted. There must have been a thousand of them, all properly spaced. The ladies were impressed by the neat and well laid out steading, unaware of why Miraca and Tara were so excited about the plants along the roads, and the longhouse, even with its minimal furnishings. Everyone helped unload the wagon into the pantry and cool cellar, as Tara fetched the children, who always found a ride in the cart to be great fun. They lobed the dart, especially after Tara had painted it a lively blue with gold flowers. Tired or not, she and Tara spent several hours baking that night, joined by Mercy, their cook after she’d unpacked her own belongings.

As they worked, the other ladies put the children, including Miraca’s, through the baths and sent them off to bed. Each of them had been issued clothing, mattresses and other needs, but Miraca promised they see about better beds as soon as they could, perhaps they’d build frames and rope-lace them to support their mattresses. As the women looked around the rooms that were now home, there was a universal feeling that this would do nicely. With three of them in the kitchen their baking and clean-up didn’t take too long, and the next morning Miraca  sent a large basket, heavily loaded, back to barracks with a patrol that passed as the day of work started on the steading.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 04:39:25 AM by Lord Palatine »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #608 on: November 29, 2017, 11:03:48 AM »
"I am certain that everyone wants to participate, but it isn't feasible. We need to ensure safety here too. Besides, he has done his part to free those held in slavery. This time, he can be a distraction." She considered what to say next, then recalled something. "Darkwine" she remarked changing the subject, "he is mentally exhausted from his previous assignment. I hope you have considered this and given him a posting that, while vital, is not overly taxing."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #609 on: November 29, 2017, 12:24:57 PM »
"I have," Oldwine grinned. "He's going to be your military aide. Explain all of this tedious military trivia to you, answer all of your questions, that sort of thing. He's leaving active military service, this is a good way to keep him busy, let the springs of his mind uncoil, and to still feel and be useful." He shook his head. "He's brought back a wealth of information, and his memory is astounding. He's able wo copy out every dispatch he's ever written, sketch every place he's ever seen. Not giving that sort of mind away, I just want to see the rest of that mind restored to the same condition as his memory."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #610 on: November 29, 2017, 01:27:34 PM »
"I see, I have suggested that I could use one, everyone said that I didn't so I haven't pushed it" she added. Tamalyn considered how it would work, "I will say that he had no hesitation to talk with me, which is important. It took months before Stonecutter could talk to me beyond just answering my direct questions. On the other hand, Serpental does not have any issue talking with me. Though, I do tend to only ask him about larger issues and he really wouldn't have any understanding of where you were or what obstacles you would be facing once you arrive. Darkwine would" she nodded. "It would work, maybe he could actually get my mind wrapped around how it all works, though every time I think I understand something new comes up. I am still ting to understand the rank structure of the river fleet, not to mention the boats and ships. Even with charts I get lost in the minutia of numbers."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #611 on: November 29, 2017, 05:49:01 PM »
"He'll do a good job for you, I believe," Oldwine grinned.

====================================
It is well known that the Palatine like to find a quiet place to relax away from duty. In some cases they enjoy some not-so-quiet places, the Golden Lion in Hesterbur is a fine example of a boisterous spot. They hadn’t found a quiet spot in Tamber yet, not for lack of looking, but nothing had recommended itself to them in Tamber City, yet. After a long day’s interview about conditions in Gamedian, Garman sat back and sighed, mentioning that he needed a quiet glass of wine and perhaps a nice supper.

“Going to the officer’s mess?” Color Sergeant Breecher of the Marshall of the Frontier’s staff asked with only polite interest.

No,” Garman replied. “I think I’ve found just the place.” He briefly explained what he knew of the history of the house, the quality of the wine and the quality of the kitchen.

“I tell you what,” Breecher said thoughtfully. “I could use a nice quiet supper myself, how about I join you?”

It had been a few days since his first visit, and there were a few men in the parlor and a few more in the lounge. Breecher noted, with interest, the quality of the house and it’s decor. He also noticed the beauty of the ladies circulating around and talking to the men. They took a seat at the table, and Breecher looked surprised. “Sergeant Tarangarth?” He asked the lady bringing their drinks.

“Gara,” Color Sergeant,” she smiled. “Gara Tarangarth, publican of the Lace & Rose. I retired.”

“Excellent,” he smiled at her. “One of these days I’ll hang up my spurs as well, but not quite yet. Have you a moment? Join us? I hear fine things about this establishment, and finding you here only confirms these recommendations.”

Gara sat, making eye contact with Nessa, drawing her over to join them. “Nessa, this is Lord Cleve Breecher, Color Sergeant of Tamber Province and the Armies of the Frontier.”

“A pleasure, My Lord,” Nessa greeted him with pleasure.

“Breecher,” he smiled. “Just call me Breecher. Would you ladies care to join us for a light supper? I hear many fine things about your hose, and now I am curious.”

“Acually, Color Sergeant,” Darkwine smiled. “I think I am going to have a private supper,” he smiled at Brinde and left to speak with her for a moment. They crossed to the reception desk together, and then disappeared up the stairs.

“Good to see him relax,” Breecher smiled as he scribbled something in his dispatch book, before returning it to his belt pouch. Nessa ordered for them and they spoke over a fine meal of thin-sliced rare roast beef with a wonderful, spicy dipping sauce and cold ale. He listened much and spoke little as Nessa and Gara told them all that they went through to open  the house. Breecher suspected that they’d been creative to make it happen, especially Gara, but he kept these thoughts to himself.

Nessa noticed that Breecher’s eyes drifted over to Barda now and then and smiled. “You seem struck with Barda, and you haven’t discovered the full amenities of the house yet. Would you care to add Barda to your bill”

Breecher smiled at the careful phrasing of the request. “Yes, I believe that would be a fine way to conclude my evening.” Nessa rose and made eye contact with Barda, then the Palatine with all of the striped. Barda looked surprised, and Yanna gave her a nudge. “Barda, I believe?” He asked. He smiled as she nodded. “Breecher,” he introduced himself. “Care to give me a tour upstairs?” he asked as he glanced at the bill for his evening, seeing Barda’s name on it he nodded. “And the dinks and meals for my two guests as well.” Elera smiled and tried not to show surprise, most men would have quickly agreed to not paying for something. He slipped her several coins and walked away with Barda.

“This could be very good,” Gara said to Nessa. “Very good.”

Nessa was called away a few minutes later for a delivery at the side gate. She was puzzled as they hadn’t ordered anything that she knew of. Two men indicated a large barrel of ale and a case of bottles. The carried them into the kitchen and bowed slightly at her, declining a gratuity. “Blue Fire Ale and Elandian brandy, compliments of Color Sergeant Breecher,” one of the men said, before they slipped quietly away. “Very, very good,” Nessa murmured before she returned to the lounge to tell Gara of their good fortune.

Over the next few days more and more Palatine visited the Lace & Rose, they were friendly and polite and sampled the menu, the bar and the ladies quite thoroughly. “Mostly Lord Defender,” Gara mentioned to Nessa quietly as they closed up for the night.

“A few of them asked about breakfast,” Nessa observed. “What does this all mean?”

“I’m not jinxing anything,” Gara replied. “Wait and watch.”

They soon found that they had guests for all three meals each day, and of course, visitors in the evenings. They paid well, and made many small gifts to the house. One day at lunch time a few of the men in white delivered a frozen concoction for the enjoyment of the ladies, apparently made by stirring cream in a frozen vessel and in this case mixed with caramelized sugar. They were soon surrounded by all twenty of the women of the house, eating from small bowls. “Do you like it?” one of the men asked. Hearing the excitement of their affirmations, he smiled and said that they’d have to make sure they enjoyed the treat again. The next morning a device much like a butter churn was delivered by a man that carefully explained the process to Raena in her kitchen. And left it and a barrel of the salt needed to mix with the ice to produce it. And from that morning on, a large block of ice was delivered to them without charge.

More and more visited the house, sometimes they’d call for a song and even sand along with the ladies singing, sometimes quiet songs in the late evening, or more fun and lively songs earlier in the day. One morning they woke to the sounds of work at the front of the house. The gathered at the windows to see that a porch was being erected along the whole front of the house to cover the brick courtyard. The wrought iron pieces were placed and set in concrete, then a roof was laid in sections over the supports. Finally, long vine roses were planted all along the porch and were almost a curtain, providing a sweet-smelling place to sit and relax on warm summer evenings. As they turned to go back inside they saw that a peculiar knocker had appeared on the door, it was silver and featured a rampant stallion over crossed swords. This would be a warning to troublemakers that the ladies of the house had friends that would tolerate nothing that spoiled the peace and tranquility of the house.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #612 on: November 29, 2017, 06:54:39 PM »
"I think that you actually think that I would be good for him" she added, "I may ask a million questions" she shrugged, "but I am not overly stressful and can have a soothing effect on troubled minds. When I am not annoyed with them" she added making no apology.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #613 on: November 30, 2017, 12:36:30 AM »
"And," Oldwine grinned. "I believe that Darkwine has found a place to relax and find peace of mind and escape duty."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #614 on: November 30, 2017, 01:16:11 AM »
 she nodded, "that is encouraging. It is important to relax your mind occasionally" she responded, "like I am hoping you will do before you leave." She said looking pointedly at him,

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #615 on: November 30, 2017, 01:24:41 AM »
"So do you think I should relax mine in the same way he is his own?" Oldwine chuckled.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #616 on: November 30, 2017, 09:44:41 AM »
She eyed him, "I feel as if that is a trick question. Regardless I will answer. I feel like you should relax like you enjoy relaxing. You usually enjoy a pipe or two to settle your mind and relax your muscles. From the twinkle in your eye, I am assuming that Darkwine has found a house of young ladies to entertain him. I have no idea if that is the sort of thing you would find relaxing, because" she shrugged, "you have never discussed such things with me."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #617 on: November 30, 2017, 12:11:56 PM »
"I don't discuss those things with you," he laughed. "Because I'm usually doing those things with you, so it would be a moot point. I wasn't hinting at the house, just the activity."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #618 on: November 30, 2017, 01:58:21 PM »
"Oh" she smiled, "in that case I would be happy to assist you. Would you also like to enjoy a pipe or two? It has been a while since we have had an opportunity to do so together, and I expect it will be a while before we will be able to again" she added. She turned more serious, "I know it is your duty, but I really hate that you have to go" she admitted.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #619 on: November 30, 2017, 08:59:35 PM »
"In that case, let's go enjoy a pipe or two and build some warm and fuzzy memories to hold us over while I'm gone. Although," he grinned. "I may need the memories more than you will, I won't have the opportunity for much relaxation while I'm away."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #620 on: November 30, 2017, 10:07:04 PM »
In the morning as try were dressing for the day Tamalyn looked at Oldwine, "I almost wish that Taraborne was going with you. He writes the best field reports, I really enjoyed reading those. I guess I should probably tell him that" she added as the thought just occurred to het. "You should ask him his secret" she smiled, "it would be nice to get more than 'we successfully defeated our enemies', not that I don't enjoy those messages as well" she added.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #621 on: December 01, 2017, 02:57:47 AM »
"He's a romantic at heart," Oldwine replied. "That is his secret. Good officer all around. If the mood takes Jamen, his read like a great novel. The rest of us are rather laconic in our prose."

=======================================

As everyone arranged their rooms and decorated a bit with the few possessions they owned, Larissa was in the cellar, loading shelves with various chemicals, compounds, herbs and other ingredients. After this was all arranged she set up all of the various implements and instruments required for her to ply her trade. Finally, after setting her most important books into a cleverly concealed, shelved cabinet and closed it, she went up stairs to join her staff for lunch. They all greeted her with a chorus of “Good afternoon, Miss,” and they curtsied in near unison. Apparently the had been practicing.

“Good afternoon, Ladies,” she sat and looked with pleasure at the meal before her. Steamed fish and vegetables. She engaged them in conversation as they ate, asking how they liked the house and their quarters. As they looked guiltily to all of the things that needed straightened or tidied in the house. “None of that,” she chided. “Today is a day of rest, and I meant that. After lunch we’re all walking back to the shops and finding things to make your rooms feel more like home.”

They were surprised at that, but she chased them upstairs to change out of their service livery and into normal attire. That completed, they visited a few shops. More clothes for them, this time dresses and other things that they could wear when they left the house for their leisure. She also found out the colors that each would like and they chose things like coverlets and linens to math them, as well as cushions for their chairs, each had a rocking chair, a small table and chair in their rooms. Another store provided things like combs and barrettes to hold back their hair. Larissa nothing had prepared these ladies for this degree of care over servants, but this is how she would hope to be treated in need, and so it was how she treated them.

She even took them to lunch in a rather nice tavern before they returned home. “In the morning, it is work for all of us,” she said to the gathering in the parlor. “There’s a house to be put in order, and gardens as well. I will be working below on my own projects, but after lunch, Brenne, Vaella and Bressa will accompany me to choose the plants for the garden. There is a good market here and I believe we can find the cuttings that we need. Everything that I plan to plant will have a use, food or medicines mostly. I make quite a few different salves, lotions, oils and ointments. Many days I’ll be dirtier than the gardeners,” she smiled. “For now, if Hella will run my bath, I will retire, you are free to enjoy a glass of wine each, and read. Though it would be a kindness if you waited for Hella before you pour.”

“Is there any of the wines that you don’t want us to touch?” Jalarae asked.

“If it is in the wine cellar, it is fine for any of us.” She bade them good night and soon found her bath waiting. “I can put myself to bed, Hella,” she dismissed her lady’s maid. “Go enjoy your evening.”

In the morning she had her normal breakfast of a cup of strong black bean, loaded with milk and honey, a honey cake and an apple. She bade her staff a good day and retired to her laboratory and began working on her first project. She climbed the stairs with several small ceramic jars and a few larger ones on a tray, which she sat on the sideboard as she sat for lunch.

“Each of you should place a jar on your night table,” she said after they ate. Each morning and night rub a small amount into your hands. It will soothe aches and soften the skin. I know that you’ve all done hard work, and this will restore your hands, somewhat.”

“Did you make it, Miss?” Hella asked.

“Yes, down in my work room,” she replied. “Oh, and gardeners and those in the kitchen, use it at midday as well, the heat and wet of cooking, and working in the dirt is hard on a lady’s hands. You may all feel free to as well. Place a large jar in the kitchen and the washroom down here for that as well.” She looked around. “I see a lot of improvement, thank you. Now, let’s go find plants!”

“Have the wagons made their deliveries?” she asked Brenne after they’d climbed into a cab.

“A wagon loads of things like bones, manure, wood ash and even chicken...manure, all in barrels, it’s out by the back wall, beside the potters shed.”

“Excellent,” Larissa smiled. “We’ll grind the bone, then I’ll show you the proportions to mix and we’ll turn it into the beds. I will arrange deliver of the cuttings that we choose for two days, I think that will be long enough. We’ll build good soil to grow good plants.”

They all looked a bit confused by this, but she was the lady, so they’d do as she said. They also had a very high opinion of her intelligence and found their curiosity piqued. Normally plants were grown in rotation to restore the soil. But this was gardening, not farming, so they’d see what this pretty young lady could teach them.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #622 on: December 01, 2017, 07:48:19 PM »
"When is the military ball? Will you be here for it? If not, should I still attend?"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #623 on: December 01, 2017, 10:09:57 PM »
"The military ball will be the night before we march out," he replied. "Or sail out I should say. The corps has already slipped out and is marching, I'm borrowing one of Taraborne's boats to ship me and my staff out, we'll join up with another in Delloram and go south. This lets me work in something like an office while I coordinate, and catch up on my sleep in a bed rather than in the saddle."

=====================================

There was much to be done, especially outside, and the gardeners were quite surprised to see the lady of the house spending time out with them, working. They were a bit scandalized that she was wearing heavy trousers and a homespun tunic and boots, but saw their practicality and changed as well.  They ground and mixed and refilled the planters with the now enriched soil, and lightly packed it in preparation of seeds and seedlings soon to come. She spoke of where she wanted certain types of plans, and asked many questions about her notions, amending them when Brenne, Vaella, or Bressa had better ideas. As they worked Larissa has builders come in and tear down the small wooden shed and replace it with a much longer brick structure, with a steeply pitched stone roof, a third of the building had large windows and a glassed roof. Others came and built-in shelves.

Inside the staff pointed out where more decorations might be appropriate, and were amused at their mistresses tastes. Several brass mechanisms of varied uses were produced and laced around the house, and she sent Jalarae and Brenne to find potted flowers and other plants, including several small fruit trees in the well-lit front parlor. She found a few more paintings to her taste and decorated a few bare spots on the walls. In short, the inside began to look more like a home, filled with color and light and varied texture, and books, books were everywhere. They were vary amazed when a large clock was placed in the formal parlor, clocks being rare and expensive, and this had dwarven maker’s marks to show its quality.

Larissa found time to pursue her passions in her workshop. She was working on her ointments and salves and carefully filling a cabinet with healing potions, strong healing potions. She also spent time in the evenings studying the properties of various plants for future applications. She also studied her books carefully, searching for rare magic and healing items, and trying to rediscover ones lost. She’d arrived after a breakout of the pox, and hadn’t wasted time in distilling cures for the most common forms of the distasteful afflictions, she actually grimaced at that combination of words when she’d first thought them.

When she’d fulfilled these basics and filled her cabinets with commonly needed medical and magical healing agents, she returned her attention to an elixir that she was pursuing, one that would restore the sick and weak to their strength and health. She was close to the ingredients and incantations that would be needed, but she still lacked a few ingredients and their proportions. Once she had those, she’d have to see about divining its effectiveness and testing it, then perhaps she would have the key to the prosperity that she’d need to secure her household with prosperity.

Jalarae answered the door one afternoon to see a scruffy-looking man on the stoop. “May I help you?” She asked.

“What’re you s’posed to be?” The man guffawed. “Woman, dressed like a man and lookin’ down’er nose at me?”

“I am the butler of this household,” Jalarae replied with great dignity.

“Well, buttle off and fetch me my Kara, takin’ her home.”

“Wait here, Sir,” she closed the door in his face, ignoring him pounding upon the thick wood and cursing loudly.

“Hella,” Jalarae sighed. “Better fetch the Mistress.”

Hella bobbed a nod and scampered off, taking the stairs down quickly and arriving at the door to Larissa’s work room. She tapped twice, softly and was about to tap again when she was told to enter.”

“Miss,” she said breathlessly. “There’s a man at the door, beating on it and cursing himself blue, he says that he means to take Kara.”

“He does, does he?” Larissa rose and smoothed her dress. “Well, I suppose I’d better see about this.”

She climbed the stairs unhurriedly, stepping into the dining room where Kara looked quite upset. She was the youngest of Larissa house staff, a petite young woman, but a woman nonetheless, old enough to make her own decisions. “Do you know that man?” Larissa asked her kindly.

“Yes, Miss,” she replied. “My uncle Karak. Must I go with him, Miss?”

“Not if you don’t want to, Kara,” Larissa replied. “You are a grown woman, or at least you’re old enough to be your own woman,” she teased her scullery maid. “Tinny though you may be. If you wish to reamin here, then no one can or will take you from my house.”

“He’s a fearful brute, Miss,” Kara warned her.

“All the more reason for you to stay here,” Larissa replied. “Are you happy here?”

“Very happy, Miss,” Kara beamed. “You’re the best lady I’ve ever seen or heard of,” she lapsed into  more colloquial speech.

“Thank you,” Larissa smiled. “Go back to the kitchen, there’s no need to let him harass you, I will speak with him. Kara bobbed a curtsy and passed Brenne, Vaella and Bressa, who all stood holding stout cudgels.

“I hope we won’t need those,” Larissa smiled at them fondly. “But should they become necessary, hit him until it’s no longer fun.” The women smiled at her as she walked to the door and nodded for it to be opened.

“What is the meaning of all of this?” Larissa snapped in an authoritative tone.

“As I told yer man,” he sneered. “I’ve come for Kara.”

“Kara has no desire to leave my employ, or go anywhere with you, for that matter,” she replied. “Who would want to go anywhere with a beef-witted sot that can’t tell man from woman. You shall remove yourself from my property, and you shall never inflict your person upon my house or anyone living here, ever again. Off with you!”

He reared up and looked down on her, she wasn’t much taller than Kara, after all. “Belt up little poxy doxy,” he sneered. “And fetch me the girl b’fore I come take her.”

“I have no more to say to you,” Larissa snapped. “Off with you.”

He growled and reached out to brush her aside, but cried out as soon as he hand brushed her sleeve, stepping back he grew pale and looked faint. “You some kind of witch?” He gasped.
“I am not someone that you shall ever lay his brutish hands upon,” she snapped.

“Is there a problem, Madame?” a woman’s voice asked from behind the large man, he turned to look at her and saw a woman above average height, in uniform.

“Constable Marras of the Tamber City Militia,” she replied.

“This person has threatened to take away a woman in my employ, against her will, and has laid his hand upon me in an attempt to do so.”

“She won’t give me back our Kara, her that was taken from us and most of her family killed,” he snapped. “I’m Karak of Northfalls, and I mean to have my brother’s girl back now that she’s found.”

“Step down from the porch, Sir,” the constable said firmly. “I will speak to this woman and see what her side of the story is.”

“Her side is that she’s our blood and we’ll have her back.”

“Are you refusing to follow my instructions?” The constable asked.

“Woman, you got no right to be instructin’ anyone!”

Constable Marras raised her whistle to her lips and blew a few loud, shrill notes. Moments later several responding shrills were heard. “Sir, I instruct you to step down from the porch, if you do not, steps will have to be taken.”

“Bog off, you mewlin’ whore,” he snapped. “Before I show you what this mouthy bitch is going to get next.”

“Is it your intention to attack a constable of the Tamber City Militia?” Marras replied. “Quite frankly, you don’t look steady enough on your feet to try anything so daft.” She slipped her truncheon, a short, dark, wooden club bearing the crest of the city militia from her belt. A sword rested on her other hip. “Step down and we’ll sort this out, do it now, or I shall have to compel you to follow my orders.”

“Get buggered,” he shouted, then howled as the constable shifted and cracked his across the knee, a second strike made a loud crack on his elbow and he clutched his arm and cried out again as she went back to his leg and put him down. Three more constables, all men, dashed up from different directions. “Threatening to take a person from the house by force, laying hands upon and threatening the owner of the house, threatening a constable, refusing lawful instruction,” she said as they looked down at the man.

“Jalarae, would you please bring Kara so that she might assure the constables that she has no desire to be taken by this man, anywhere?”

“Yes, Miss,” she replied and left at a dignified pace, returning with the obviously frightened young lady.

“Miss, do you know this man?”

“Yes, Constable,” Kara replied. “My uncle Karak, from Northfalls.”

“Do you wish to go with him?”

“Never!” Kara replied. “He’s a drunken pig.”

“And you are of age?”

“Yes,” Kara replied. “Hired by Miss Larissa from the hiring hall after the army came and set us free.”

Two of the constables secured Karak with manacles and dragged him off of the property and down the street as a third went for a wagon. “I’ll just need a few facts,” Marras took out her dispatch book.

“Won’t you come in, it is much easier to write at a table,” as the constable came in Larissa turned to Jalarae. “A small brandy for Kara, to settle her nerves, and then tea for everyone in the dining room.”

“Am I getting dismissed, Miss?” Kara asked.

“Certainly not,” Larissa replied firmly, then smiled. “You’re getting brandy and tea.”
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:12:24 PM by Lord Palatine »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #624 on: December 01, 2017, 10:27:28 PM »
"Taraborne has ships, that is why you ship out" she teased him lightly, "I am glad I do not have to attend alone. Parties are always quite stressful for me, as I know you are aware. And, I have only ever been to one otter military ball, in Valcastria" she added, "so I don't know the protocols of Selnen military balls" she admitted.

Untitled Document

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. FARPWG - The Guild may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy (Magic site) (D&D site). For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING®, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS®, D&D®, PLAYER'S HANDBOOK 2®, and DUNGEON MASTER'S GUIDE® are trademark[s] of Wizards of the Coast and D&D® core rules, game mechanics, characters and their distinctive likenesses are the property of the Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website at (www.wizards.com)

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by any company unless specified. In order to review products Guild Members may reference trademarks and other intellectual property of these companies without intent to violate trademarks or copyrights.

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild provides forum boards, server space and bandwidth, without compensation, to support Idaho gaming and fandom.

This product is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool. process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your canceled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to ensure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in a well-ventilated are. Keep away from fire or flames. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. No transfers issued until the bus comes to a complete stop. Package sold by weight, not volume. Your mileage may vary. This article does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my cat. Don't quote me on that. Don't quote me on anything. All rights reserved. You may distribute this article freely but you may not make a profit from it. Terms are subject to change without notice. Illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental. Do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law. Hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat. Do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle. No substitutions allowed. For a limited time only. This article is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted. Caveat emptor. Article is provided "as is" without any warranties. Reader assumes full responsibility. An equal opportunity article. No shoes, no shirt, no articles. quantities are limited while supplies last. If any defects are discovered, do not attempt to read them yourself, but return to an authorized service center. Read at your own risk. Parental advisory - explicit lyrics. Text may contain explicit materials some readers may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised. Keep away from sunlight. Keep away from pets and small children. Limit one-per-family please. No money down. No purchase necessary. You need not be present to win. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Instructions are included. Action figures sold separately. No preservatives added. Slippery when wet. Safety goggles may be required during use. Sealed for your protection, do not read if safety seal is broken. Call before you dig. Not liable for damages arising from use or misuse. For external use only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading. Read only with proper ventilation. Avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool dry place. Keep away from open flames. Avoid contact with eyes and skin and avoid inhaling fumes. Do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not place near a flammable or magnetic source. Smoking this article could be hazardous to your health. The best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a condom. No salt, MSG, artificial color or flavoring added. If ingested, do not induce vomiting, and if symptoms persist, consult a physician. Articles are ribbed for your pleasure. Possible penalties for early withdrawal. Offer valid only at participating sites. Slightly higher west of the Rockies. Allow four to six weeks for delivery. must be 18 to read. Disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper reading, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized reading, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom vibrations, customer adjustments that are not covered in this list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB's, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.). Other restrictions may apply. This supersedes all previous notices.

Opinions in articles, posts and podcasts do not necessarily represent the views of The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild.

FARPWG The Guild © 2004-2017 Tim Boothby - All Rights are retained by those posting art, lyrics, messages and articles.

* About Me!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Here?

• Dot Guests: 29
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Most Recent

Re: The Tamber Saga by Lord Palatine
[Today at 12:27:25 AM]

Re: The Tamber Saga by Milady Kim
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

[Today at 12:14:25 AM]

[Today at 12:11:11 AM]

[Today at 12:01:31 AM]

[Yesterday at 11:59:29 PM]

[Yesterday at 11:50:17 PM]

[Yesterday at 11:48:14 PM]

[Yesterday at 11:35:57 PM]

[Yesterday at 06:07:46 PM]

[Yesterday at 05:56:27 PM]

[Yesterday at 03:15:47 PM]

[Yesterday at 02:46:47 PM]

[Yesterday at 01:43:36 AM]

[Yesterday at 01:15:02 AM]

Affiliated Sites

Red Zone Fandom Red Zone Fan Photography Scribe of the Realm Science Fox Serious Lesbian

Red Zone Galleries

Boise Area Conventions

Us Being Social

Guild on Facebook Red Zone Facebook Red Zone Twitter Red Zone Youtube