collapse

Author Topic: Arkangel  (Read 30032 times)

Description:

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
  • Awards Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts NaNoWriMo Participant Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Awards
Re: Arkangel
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2016, 02:48:32 PM »
Izzy hooked her badge back on her belt and glared thoughtfully at the door. She tapped the gun against the glass once more, then muttered, "Help me, help me!" under her breath. Raising her gun, she shot through the lock, as promised.

Kicking the door open, she leveled her gun at the bar tender. "Send the bill to the US Marshal's office," she said through gritted teeth. "I'm looking for Dmitri Kirov, brother of the very dead Vassily. You seen him?"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Grand Duke/Grand Duchess
  • Face for radio, voice for print!
  • Awards Has made 9,000+ posts Has made 8,000+ posts Has made 7,000+ posts Has made 6,000+ posts Has made 5,000+ posts Has made 4,000+ posts Has made 3,000+ posts Has made 2,000+ posts A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2016, 03:17:12 PM »
Then she was looking down the barrel of a shotgun, and it looked like the biggest hole she'd ever seen. "Intruder has shot lock off door and broke in, Whiskey Lane bar," he said into his wireless earpiece. "She has gun and I have her covered, get here quick."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
  • Awards Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts NaNoWriMo Participant Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2016, 03:29:51 PM »
"Let's be fair we both have guns," Izzy said, though she eyed the shotgun hesitantly. "And this," she turned her hip towards him to reveal her badge again, "lets me kick in a lot of doors. I'm not here to bust your ass, I don't give a shit what you're running behind the bar. Don't even care about the whores you keep here, though vice probably does. Tell me where I can find Dmitri, and I'll leave. Shoot me, and you'll bring the full force of the Marshal service down on your ass. Regardless of the cops you have in your pocket. Whole mess of officers know I'm here." One shoulder shrugged. "Your call."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Awards Has made 9,000+ posts Has made 8,000+ posts Has made 7,000+ posts Has made 6,000+ posts Has made 5,000+ posts Has made 4,000+ posts Has made 3,000+ posts Has made 2,000+ posts A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2016, 03:36:27 PM »
"Everybody just stay calm," a voice from behind them cautioned. "Nick, lower that kidney buster or I'll shoot you on general principles. Deputy, holster your piece." Then there was a pause. "Nicky, you may not know she's a cop, but you damned sure know I am, and even having to fill out all of that paperwork won't take the fun out of shooting a Russian."

Nicky the barman looked nervous at that, and the fact that he could only shoot one of them before the other one got him. He lowered the weapon.

"Besides, Nicky, she's packing a nine mil, probably standard jacketed rounds, somebody hit the lock with a .45, probably a wad cutter, he pointed down at the ground and knelt by the door. "You can see pieces right here, nothing we can get ballistics on, but enough to rule out her gun."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2016, 03:44:04 PM »
Izzy waited until the shotgun was all the way down before she lowered her own gun, not ready to blindly follow the orders of someone she couldn't readily identify. With half an eye on Nicky, she looked over her shoulder. "And you are?"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2016, 06:17:28 PM »
"Sergeant Alex Rybak," he replied. "Major Crimes. Nicky doesn't qualify as major but I was coming into town to look into the mess at the pawn shop and the call came through about Annie Oakley shooting her way into a bar. Leave it to Nicky to even screw up reporting that. So, Nicky, who had the .45 and why do they want you? Need some protective custody?"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2016, 06:30:29 PM »
Satisfied, Izzy holstered her gun, but kept a hand on it in case anyone decided to get clever. "Were they looking for Dmitri?"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2016, 06:37:32 PM »
"Dmitry hasn't been here all night, probably shacked up with new bitch," Nicky growled, looking bored.

Rybak scowled and called off any further response on his radio, then walked to the door. He scraped up several bits of lead from the ground with the blade of a knife and dropped it into an evidence bag, then used his leatherman to remove the damaged lock. "Nicky, no idea who you pissed off, but its not a good idea to have done whatever it was." He looked at Izzy. "Come along, Deputy, we've got work to do."

Nicky was staring at her, the look wasn't pleasant, but he kept quiet, he knew that the newcomer had thwarted whatever he had planned.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2016, 07:01:58 PM »
Dark brown eyes stared incredulously at Alex. She turned back to Nicky and held her ground. "This new bitch got a name?"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2016, 07:09:58 PM »
"Crawl away bitch," Nicky said, "or maybe it'll be yours next time."

""Nicky doesn't do answers," Rybak's hand positioned itself to push her out of the building, he was strong enough that it worked. "It's late, Deputy," he said as he nearly dragged her to her car, but his voice wasn't strained in the slightest. "Now, you're going to sit your little ass in your car, start it, and you're going somewhere else. In an hour the lab rats will be back to work, and you could probably spend that time making phone calls to people that you answer to that don't seem to be happy that my chief called in before you did." He held up a mangled 9mm bullet. "And don't shoot any more fucking locks in my town, or next time you'll be in jail wondering why you don't have a badge and a retirement plan anymore. Drive."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2016, 07:20:59 PM »
Outside in the rain, she managed to pull her arm out of his grip and resisted the urge to rub where it tingled. "Pleasure to meet you too," she said through gritted teeth. "And in case your head was shoved too far up your ass to notice, the people I report to are perpetually 'not happy' with me. But I get shit done." Without leaving time for him to respond, she climbed into her car, an old muscle car she'd somehow managed to convince her chief to let her keep, revved the engine, and sped off into the night.

The fact that he was right didn't help the sting much, so Izzy soothed her wounded pride by headed back to the office she had to herself currently. A little hole in the wall that was barely big enough for the two desks, weapons locker, small conference room, and what was probably a broom closet they'd converted into a holding cell. She flipped on the lights and plopped down in her creaky chair, rubbing her hands across her face before picking up the phone and calling her superior. This ought to be fun.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2016, 07:25:01 PM »
"Deputy Franks," Supervisory Deputy Marshall Melanie Talbert's voice all but purred into the phone. "So nice of you to remember we exist. So, Russian mob, foreign guns, a bombing, anything else you decided not to report while you were off playing cowgirl again?"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2016, 07:28:38 PM »
Izzy winced, but kept it out of her voice. "Someone inscribed a symbol in the floor with blood, then wiped it up before they left. Looks like a sword with wings. That about covers it."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2016, 07:31:55 PM »
"That sounds like a cheesy tattoo or an SAS emblem," she pondered. "So, what were you doing while not reporting, and if you say letting me get my beauty sleep I'll park my foot in your ass."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2016, 07:53:34 PM »
"You mean I'd actually see your pretty face? It's tempting." Izzy said with a raised brow. Aware that her boss couldn't see her face, she moved on. "I was following a lead that didn't get anywhere. Bar owner named Nicky where the vic's brother is known to hang out. All he had to say was he hadn't seen Dmitri all day, something about a new girlfriend."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2016, 07:58:58 PM »
"Why don't you plant your ass in your chair, fire up your computer, and get a report filed in the next hour, I'm teleconferencing with FBI, DHS and AFT this morning, maybe I'll even have time for breakfast first, otherwise you'd better hope your report amazes or excites me."

*click*

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2016, 08:07:08 PM »
Izzy stared at the dead phone and rolled her eyes. "My ass is planted in a chair. What is it with you people being obsessed with my ass?" She shook her head and set down the handset, and did, in fact, do as she was told.

After she got a third cup of coffee

The paperwork took her well under an hour, at which point she started pulling jackets on Vassily, Dmitri, and Nicky. "What is it about names that end in 'ee'?" she pondered to no one in particular. Gathering them up in her arms, Izzy headed for the conference room and spread them out across the table, taking notes on the white board they'd managed to scrounge up.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2016, 08:35:49 PM »
"You feds move slow," Gus Hanlon said from the doorway. "They got into the phone, not much usable in it, all codewords in Russian, but they did get the words Arkangel, assassin and vendetta. from texts that hadn't been deleted yet."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2016, 08:39:19 PM »
"You only get to call us slow if you have something better," Izzy said without turning. She added the words to the side of her board and turned around with an expectant look on her face.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2016, 08:48:11 PM »
"Arkangel sounds Russian," he said after rolling his eyes at her. "Vendetta could mean they have one or one is aimed at them, and assassin sort of speaks for itself. Handy thing about Russian mob slugs is that they all have ink, a lot of it, most of it under their shirts though. These days, tats are pretty common, but I'm sure the Feebees have a file on Russian mob and prison tats." He grinned at the use of the nickname of the FBI."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2016, 09:04:26 PM »
Izzy let the nickname slide, having not had nearly enough coffee for his lame jokes. Instead, she tapped the pen against her lip, her other arm crossed under her breasts. "Arkangel could also be a name. According to Christianity, archangels were the most powerful, warriors for God. We've got tat records, but we'd need something to look for for that to help."

She sighed and tossed the pen on the table to pick up her coffee mug. "Got anything back from the explosives? Or where the stolen gear is from?"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2016, 09:10:41 PM »
"Something to go by, like a winged sword?" Hanlon asked as he took her cup over and refilled it from her coffee pot. "Think you need this. Anyway, we get our information about stolen army gear that you do, and they don't like to tell us anything. More of that government transparency that never happened I suppose. The detonator we found was probably a backup, irony is it was a dud. The guns don't appear to have come here legally, not in any open database."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2016, 09:28:45 PM »
"No, what I need is to add something to my coffee," she said with a heavy sigh. "I'll ask around, see if I can call in a few favors. I'm betting the guns were smuggled in, so not going to have a lot of traction there. Our best leads are the tattoo I apparently don't find compelling, and the explosives. How about a girlfriend, employees, his brother?"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2016, 09:35:31 PM »
"We have a BOLO out on Dmitri," he replied. "Handy thing is that he's not a local, only been here a few years, so people keep an eye on him wherever he goes. I'll mention that we're looking for him to a couple old ladies that I know, the blue-hair mafia will sniff him out." He smiled at that. "Small town law enforcement, nothing like it."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2016, 09:49:52 PM »
"That...I can't argue with," Izzy said vaguely. "Alright. Let me know if you get anything I can use. I don't like being stuck in this damn office."

Untitled Document

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. FARPWG - The Guild may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy (Magic site) (D&D site). For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING®, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS®, D&D®, PLAYER'S HANDBOOK 2®, and DUNGEON MASTER'S GUIDE® are trademark[s] of Wizards of the Coast and D&D® core rules, game mechanics, characters and their distinctive likenesses are the property of the Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website at (www.wizards.com)

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by any company unless specified. In order to review products Guild Members may reference trademarks and other intellectual property of these companies without intent to violate trademarks or copyrights.

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild provides forum boards, server space and bandwidth, without compensation, to support Idaho gaming and fandom.

This product is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool. process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your canceled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to ensure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in a well-ventilated are. Keep away from fire or flames. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. No transfers issued until the bus comes to a complete stop. Package sold by weight, not volume. Your mileage may vary. This article does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my cat. Don't quote me on that. Don't quote me on anything. All rights reserved. You may distribute this article freely but you may not make a profit from it. Terms are subject to change without notice. Illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental. Do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law. Hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat. Do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle. No substitutions allowed. For a limited time only. This article is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted. Caveat emptor. Article is provided "as is" without any warranties. Reader assumes full responsibility. An equal opportunity article. No shoes, no shirt, no articles. quantities are limited while supplies last. If any defects are discovered, do not attempt to read them yourself, but return to an authorized service center. Read at your own risk. Parental advisory - explicit lyrics. Text may contain explicit materials some readers may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised. Keep away from sunlight. Keep away from pets and small children. Limit one-per-family please. No money down. No purchase necessary. You need not be present to win. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Instructions are included. Action figures sold separately. No preservatives added. Slippery when wet. Safety goggles may be required during use. Sealed for your protection, do not read if safety seal is broken. Call before you dig. Not liable for damages arising from use or misuse. For external use only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading. Read only with proper ventilation. Avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool dry place. Keep away from open flames. Avoid contact with eyes and skin and avoid inhaling fumes. Do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not place near a flammable or magnetic source. Smoking this article could be hazardous to your health. The best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a condom. No salt, MSG, artificial color or flavoring added. If ingested, do not induce vomiting, and if symptoms persist, consult a physician. Articles are ribbed for your pleasure. Possible penalties for early withdrawal. Offer valid only at participating sites. Slightly higher west of the Rockies. Allow four to six weeks for delivery. must be 18 to read. Disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper reading, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized reading, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom vibrations, customer adjustments that are not covered in this list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB's, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.). Other restrictions may apply. This supersedes all previous notices.

Opinions in articles, posts and podcasts do not necessarily represent the views of The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild.

FARPWG The Guild © 2004-2017 Tim Boothby - All Rights are retained by those posting art, lyrics, messages and articles.

* About Me!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Here?

• Dot Guests: 9
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Most Recent

Re: The Tamber Saga by Milady Kim
[Today at 10:39:22 PM]

Re: The Tamber Saga by Lord Palatine
[Today at 08:27:11 PM]

[Today at 04:49:52 PM]

[Today at 03:24:56 PM]

[Today at 03:17:45 PM]

[Today at 02:12:59 PM]

[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

[Today at 01:05:52 PM]

The Freighter Artemis by Lord Palatine
[Today at 01:02:22 PM]

[Today at 10:18:59 AM]

[Today at 07:48:03 AM]

[Today at 01:52:19 AM]

[Today at 12:41:41 AM]

[Yesterday at 05:46:55 PM]

[Yesterday at 12:56:22 PM]

Affiliated Sites

Red Zone Fandom Red Zone Fan Photography Scribe of the Realm Science Fox Serious Lesbian

Red Zone Galleries

Boise Area Conventions

Us Being Social

Guild on Facebook Red Zone Facebook Red Zone Twitter Red Zone Youtube