collapse

Author Topic: The Tamber Saga  (Read 26449 times)

Description: The Story of Tamalyn Traveler Continues

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Grand Duke/Grand Duchess
  • Saying it with Steam
  • Awards Has made 6,000+ posts Has made 5,000+ posts Has made 4,000+ posts Has made 3,000+ posts Has made 2,000+ posts Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Awards
Re: The Tamber Saga
« Reply #1950 on: February 07, 2018, 10:55:51 PM »
"The band was an odd surprise, I really hadn't realized how large it was. There was even a bit of drama when we recruited them. But, in the end it is very popular, far more than I ever thought it would be. Additionally, I wasn't aware that most militias do not have bands, not that I care what others think" she shrugged, "I think with how popular the band is, and how far we are from Selnendrin that we will always have a band."
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 10:56:42 PM by Milady Kim »

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Face for radio, voice for print!
  • Awards Has made 9,000+ posts Has made 8,000+ posts Has made 7,000+ posts Has made 6,000+ posts Has made 5,000+ posts Has made 4,000+ posts Has made 3,000+ posts Has made 2,000+ posts A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #1951 on: February 07, 2018, 11:18:24 PM »
"Most just have buglers and drummers, signalling and setting a marching pace. I believe that every Legion has a small band of their own, recruited from anyone that has musical ability. Morale in the field."

Anything else that he might say was interrupted by a dwarven officer of engineers. "Begging Your Highness' Parson," he said respectfully. "Centurion Hammershard of the Engineers, my Cohort has been excavating what some call the secret Grotto. We've found a very large cache, it looks like the goods of a royal household. Things like silver service and statues and such things. Well hidden too, considering it wasn't dwarf built."

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
  • Awards Has made 6,000+ posts Has made 5,000+ posts Has made 4,000+ posts Has made 3,000+ posts Has made 2,000+ posts Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Awards
« Reply #1952 on: February 07, 2018, 11:49:55 PM »
She smiled, "I always knew there was more to that place than a giant snake nest. I need to see it" she added, "Indra, please have everyone ready" she looked at Darkwine, "you are welcome to come, if not" she added, "please excuse me. I am certain that we will know more about the second army tomorrow at any rate." Her mind was already on the grotto and what might be in there. "Is it in his condition Centurion Hammershard" she asked excitedly, "is it monogrammed, can you tell how old it is?"

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Awards Has made 9,000+ posts Has made 8,000+ posts Has made 7,000+ posts Has made 6,000+ posts Has made 5,000+ posts Has made 4,000+ posts Has made 3,000+ posts Has made 2,000+ posts A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #1953 on: February 07, 2018, 11:56:06 PM »
"I had to send an inquiry," he took out a sheet of parchment and showed her a rubbing. "It is the crest of the Royal family of Bartamber, which was in this area when the Realm began to unify, it was wiped off of the map by Gamedian and the Heron Empire, Derak himself blasted some of the villages. It is in pretty good shape, needs cleaning. Everything was sealed in thickly tarred barrels and the cave was very dry."

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #1954 on: February 08, 2018, 12:18:35 AM »
"Please send another letting the engineers know that I will be there shortly. I just need to change" she said glancing at her dress." Shew excused herself and went to change. She could have changed quicky, but she knew her guards had been eating.

She returned downstairs in a few moments. "I hope we are ready, because I want to see this cache" she said noticing the guards arriving. "Good" she said and they all arrived outside the grotto. "I understand you have found something, please show me" she added.

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #1955 on: February 08, 2018, 12:28:40 AM »
They entered, the way down now much easier as the engineers had found and uncovered the stairs that has been buried for so long. The passage was six feet wide and a bit over twenty feet tall when they reached the bottom of the stairs. The centurion pointed up to a scaffold. They set the cache up there," he reported. "We found it when we were clearing out the dirt and clay. Over the years water washed out what we first found, but it widened out quite a bit. They filled in the grotto with dirt and changed all of the runoff channels and this place was under water for a few hundred years, then the water above and below washed out enough soil plugging the hole here to drain the lake. We found the places where they stopped the runoff and opened them up so rain and snow melt won't try and flood it again."

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #1956 on: February 08, 2018, 12:40:03 AM »
"Well, they defiantly hid it well" she nodded, "lets see the items from the barrels you opened. Did you open them all" she asked him as they climbed the scaffolding to see the tarred barrels. "I will be taking this all with me" she added, "it will all need cleaned and polished. Hopefully it has remained in good condition" she added.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 12:56:23 AM by Milady Kim »

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #1957 on: February 08, 2018, 08:04:00 AM »
"We can hope," he nodded. "I was more concerned to check that there were no bespelled items before I brought you, it was checked. We don't want to open any more in closed spaces, in case there's any dust traps built into them, we want a lot of fresh air around us."

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #1958 on: February 08, 2018, 09:58:17 AM »
"Understandable" she said, "caring about my safety is appreciated, though I am very pleased you informed me in time to see the location for myself. I do not mind getting a little dirty" she added with a small smile. She approached one of the opened barrels and studied the contents. The lighting was dim, so she lit the entire room with light. "Now, let's see what you have found" she picked up a small silver tray.

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #1959 on: February 08, 2018, 10:02:15 AM »
It looked as if they'd cached the tableware, an important part of ancient treasuries, made of precious metals to show the wealth and prestige of the crown. It was still done, the Royal Palace had table settings and fixtures older than the Realm. This was tarnished almost black, but its weight told her it was solid silver, and the detail that showed through the tarnish was exquisite.

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #1960 on: February 08, 2018, 10:11:20 AM »
"Beautiful" she said turning the piece over to study the back, "I think that I will build a cabinet in the ballroom of the palace and display it. Though" she gave it another closet look, "some pieces might be suitable for use, with a good cleaning and polish. I was worried it was Dureath's silver, but this is perfect" she said more to herself than him. "Have you counted the barrels, how many are here?"

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #1961 on: February 08, 2018, 10:25:41 AM »
"Thirts sis, thirty two gallon barrels," he replied. "It's quite a bit, especially if they are packed like this." Then he chuckled. "And we're not done exploring yet."

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #1962 on: February 08, 2018, 10:37:06 AM »
"It is hard to believe that much more would have survived this long, but I am hoping that I am mistaken. Do wer know where the palace of Bartamber was located? It had been quite difficult to research the exact locations of anything in the area because time and nature have wiped it away."

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #1963 on: February 08, 2018, 12:04:35 PM »
"Within a few miles of here," he replied. "We may find it in time, we're not even sure how it was built."

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #1964 on: February 08, 2018, 12:39:03 PM »
She nodded, she had always known this was a special area. It was why she hadn't placed anyone as a noble in the duchy. She just felt the need to protect the area. She had other duchies she had reserved, but those were mostly reserved for other reasons. This one had been saved because she felt something here.

"I hope we do" she nodded, "we have found old roads, and evidence of towns. A palace shouldn't be too difficult to find, provided it was made of stone and had a proper foundation. The underground river," she paused "lake" she said questioning then shrugged,  "which they obviously knew about, may have made basements dangerous though. But, I would think they would have had a well in case of sieges, unlimited water would be a real advantage." She looked at all the barrels and moved through them exploring and examining them. After looking them over she used her power to move them, individually, to one of the empty staff quarters on her property. "I will have them opened carefully and examine all the contents. Some items may go to our new museum, some to the palace" she added, "it will depend on the historical significance and the condition. I have a historian who can help us research Bartamber and these items. Thank you for finding this, please let me know if you make any other discoveries. I think you will, I still feel" she paused on the word, "that there is more here" she added slowly.

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #1965 on: February 08, 2018, 01:39:28 PM »
"We're looking very carefully," he assured her. We plan to open all of this up, we've been working year round here, long enough that I think we need to put in a timber palisade around the site and build log cabins, we've lived in tents for quite a while now, even through the winter."

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #1966 on: February 08, 2018, 01:47:58 PM »
"I have some bored engineers who should just about be finished with their current project. I will send them here to build for you so you can continue excavating" she said nodding. "I apologize for your having to live in the tents all winter, I wasn't aware. In the future, please let me know if you need assistance" she added.  Tamalyn wrote a note to Flagg about the items in the vacant house, she wanted it guarded and about sending her lifeguard engineers to the grotto.

She sent it off and looked back to the engineer in front of her, "is there anything else you would like to show me?  Obviously, it will not be as interesting as ancient silver, but I like history in many forms" she smiled.

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #1967 on: February 08, 2018, 01:59:52 PM »
"Deeper in isn't stable yet," he replied. "In a month or so we should have another hundred feet fully cleared and the soil sifted," then he grinned. "This looked like a smaller project at first, and we didn't want to upset the natural surroundings, so we avoided building here, but if word gets out that we pulled out ancient silver artifacts, some may look at this place as a ripe target, so I'd like to close it up, even if it is wooden palisades, and we can use the dirt we've mucked out as well to set stronger defenses. As it is I need to hold back half of our engineers to stand three watches while the rest of us work."

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #1968 on: February 08, 2018, 02:20:50 PM »
"Security should be easier with the addition of my lifeguard, I will ask Marshal Serpental to move men into the frontier fort to release my men" she nodded. "I agree with keeping the natural aesthetics, but we also need to protect people from the dangers of the area too. The initial hole is very dangerous, and there could be others as well. It is better to be safe, for you and your men as well" she nodded. "I really thought you would discover more natural cave formations that we could open up,I didn't expect to find actual treasure. It changes everything about this site and increases its importance and the need for security. I am really excited to start opening the barrels, but, for now I will not share the knowledge of the silver publicly. Not until everything is secure and can be defended properly" she added. "If there is nothing else to show me, and you have no other issues, I will return to Tamber City and let you get back to exploring" she smiled. "One thing though" she looked around, "do you think it is possible that we are standing in the basement of the palace? They could have built over these natural caves, otherwise why would they have built the stairs" she added considering. "And above, it is a huge meadow that is fairly flat and almost treeless. Could we be at the site of the palace?"

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #1969 on: February 08, 2018, 03:05:09 PM »
"We found no signs of a foundation in the area," he replied. "Unless they had a timber building there should at least be stonework, but we've tried sinking trenched to find anything, and haven't. Might be why they chose this place to cache their treasure."

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #1970 on: February 08, 2018, 03:28:37 PM »
"It was just a thought" she nodded, "very well. I will let you return to work. I am certain that we will discover the secrets of the grotto eventually" she added. She returned to the field above and collected her guards, not all had cone below with her. "Let's go see what goodies they found" she said taking them all to the office of the provincial historian. "I have something that you want to see" she told him. "But, for now I would like to keep it quiet. Please, come with me" she said taking him to the house holding the barrels. She showed him the items in the open barrels.

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #1971 on: February 08, 2018, 03:50:14 PM »
"Impressive," he studied them carefully. "It'll take a while to sort and inventory this, then clean it."

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #1972 on: February 08, 2018, 04:02:54 PM »
"Yes, it will" she nodded, "the engineers doing the excavation cautioned me to ensure that I open them outside in case of traps. I want to display some in the palace, but I also want some in the museum. I was hoping you could help me catalog the pieces" she said, "I can have my staff assist in cleaning them. It will be good training for them" she added.  "What can you tell me about the Bartamber kingdom, it's nobles or its palace?"

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #1973 on: February 08, 2018, 07:34:15 PM »
"Mainly that it was a Kingdom out here over a thousand years ago," he replied with a shrug, I will assemble more information than that, of course, but Bartamber was to the east of us, only a small slice of the eastern border area was part of Bartamber. The rest of the province was part of Belephron, Gasteren, Karasmere and Ralerane."

Offline Milady Kim

• LP's Adult Supervision
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Saying it with Steam
    • Awards
« Reply #1974 on: February 08, 2018, 08:30:07 PM »
"So, do you think they purposely hid it outside their kingdom? In some ways, that makes sense. Who would look for something outside the kingdom. But their location choice, they would have had to be very familiar with the area to know about it."

Untitled Document

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. FARPWG - The Guild may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy (Magic site) (D&D site). For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING®, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS®, D&D®, PLAYER'S HANDBOOK 2®, and DUNGEON MASTER'S GUIDE® are trademark[s] of Wizards of the Coast and D&D® core rules, game mechanics, characters and their distinctive likenesses are the property of the Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website at (www.wizards.com)

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by any company unless specified. In order to review products Guild Members may reference trademarks and other intellectual property of these companies without intent to violate trademarks or copyrights.

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild provides forum boards, server space and bandwidth, without compensation, to support Idaho gaming and fandom.

This product is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool. process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your canceled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to ensure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in a well-ventilated are. Keep away from fire or flames. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. No transfers issued until the bus comes to a complete stop. Package sold by weight, not volume. Your mileage may vary. This article does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my cat. Don't quote me on that. Don't quote me on anything. All rights reserved. You may distribute this article freely but you may not make a profit from it. Terms are subject to change without notice. Illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental. Do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law. Hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat. Do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle. No substitutions allowed. For a limited time only. This article is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted. Caveat emptor. Article is provided "as is" without any warranties. Reader assumes full responsibility. An equal opportunity article. No shoes, no shirt, no articles. quantities are limited while supplies last. If any defects are discovered, do not attempt to read them yourself, but return to an authorized service center. Read at your own risk. Parental advisory - explicit lyrics. Text may contain explicit materials some readers may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised. Keep away from sunlight. Keep away from pets and small children. Limit one-per-family please. No money down. No purchase necessary. You need not be present to win. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Instructions are included. Action figures sold separately. No preservatives added. Slippery when wet. Safety goggles may be required during use. Sealed for your protection, do not read if safety seal is broken. Call before you dig. Not liable for damages arising from use or misuse. For external use only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading. Read only with proper ventilation. Avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool dry place. Keep away from open flames. Avoid contact with eyes and skin and avoid inhaling fumes. Do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not place near a flammable or magnetic source. Smoking this article could be hazardous to your health. The best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a condom. No salt, MSG, artificial color or flavoring added. If ingested, do not induce vomiting, and if symptoms persist, consult a physician. Articles are ribbed for your pleasure. Possible penalties for early withdrawal. Offer valid only at participating sites. Slightly higher west of the Rockies. Allow four to six weeks for delivery. must be 18 to read. Disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper reading, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized reading, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom vibrations, customer adjustments that are not covered in this list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB's, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.). Other restrictions may apply. This supersedes all previous notices.

Opinions in articles, posts and podcasts do not necessarily represent the views of The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild.

FARPWG The Guild © 2004-2017 Tim Boothby - All Rights are retained by those posting art, lyrics, messages and articles.

* About Me!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Here?

• Dot Guests: 26
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Most Recent

Re: The Tamber Saga by Milady Kim
[May 20, 2018, 07:16:39 PM]

Re: The Tamber Saga by Lord Palatine
[May 19, 2018, 09:03:11 PM]

[May 19, 2018, 08:16:30 AM]

[May 19, 2018, 12:47:30 AM]

[May 19, 2018, 12:32:27 AM]

[May 19, 2018, 12:21:34 AM]

[May 18, 2018, 11:44:55 PM]

[May 18, 2018, 11:08:14 PM]

[May 18, 2018, 09:07:24 PM]

[May 17, 2018, 11:48:39 PM]

[May 17, 2018, 11:38:05 PM]

[May 17, 2018, 11:10:44 PM]

[May 17, 2018, 11:06:29 PM]

[May 17, 2018, 10:33:01 PM]

[May 11, 2018, 09:32:31 PM]

Affiliated Sites

Red Zone Fandom Red Zone Fan Photography Scribe of the Realm Science Fox Serious Lesbian

Red Zone Galleries

Boise Area Conventions

Us Being Social

Guild on Facebook Red Zone Facebook Red Zone Twitter Red Zone Youtube