collapse

Author Topic: Gray & Craig - Preternatural Consulting Detectives (Shades of Gray)  (Read 2733 times)

Description:

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Grand Duke/Grand Duchess
  • Face for radio, voice for print!
  • Awards Has made 9,000+ posts Has made 8,000+ posts Has made 7,000+ posts Has made 6,000+ posts Has made 5,000+ posts Has made 4,000+ posts Has made 3,000+ posts Has made 2,000+ posts A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 07:26:06 AM by Lord Palatine »

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Awards Has made 9,000+ posts Has made 8,000+ posts Has made 7,000+ posts Has made 6,000+ posts Has made 5,000+ posts Has made 4,000+ posts Has made 3,000+ posts Has made 2,000+ posts A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
Re: Gray & Craig - Preternatural Consulting Detectives
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 01:43:12 AM »
It wasn't uncommon for Michael Craig to quietly grumble about his lot in life here in London.  It was cold, grungy and generally uncomfortable to a man raised in the more tropical climate of Nova Caledonia, but practitioners were needed here, and to be blunt there was a glut on his sort of talent down there, and so here he was, occupying rooms on the top floor of a Bond Street townhouse.  He didn't mind Bond Street terribly, it was fashionable, upscale and cleaner than most of this sprawling city.  Still, it was cold, and a man could only wear so much wool, he did peek to insure that the fire was burning warmly.

Michael Turnbull Craig, known to some as Mad Mike, was a tall man as were all his family, but at only three inches over six feet not nearly the tallest, he was a sturdy man, more compact in size than his contemporaries of the era, but his 13 stone or two hundred and forty pounds of weight, depending on how you measured it, was gratifyingly solid.  He spent a fair amount of time at his club to insure that didn't change.  Besides, physical prowess was as important as mental acuity in his profession.

He and his partner were a few of the openly practicing Preternatural Consulting Detectives in the world, meaning that they investigated and attended to matters of the supernatural.  Officially they did this on their own, but in truth there was more behind them than met the eye.  They were a bit daring for their time, unmarried men and women did not share rooms, but their profession insured that they would never be wholly acceptable to society anyway, but they were very en vogue in these times of spiritualists and seances.  Some of the mediums were real enough, both he and his partner were quite capable in those areas, and many others.

He sighed and returned his attention to the Stand Magazine and scoffed for the fiftieth time.  "We should never allowed that Doyle chap in here," he said for the thousandth time.  "First he stole his description of that rediculous detective of his from ours and then made a shambles of it, then he applies a veneer of intellect and a whole lot of sleight of hand to make that Holmes fellow seem fantastically clever.  Damn you Doyle," he growled.  "If you attract attention to us I'll brain you.  It wasn't all that long ago we'd be considered witches and burned at the stake!  Arthur Conan Doyle, what sort of name is that, Arthur is well enough, but Conan, what sort of name is that?  Anyone named Conan is doomed to be beaten daily in school."

There was atap at the door and it opened to admit the land lady.  "Ah, Mrs Moriarty, so good of you to bring supper promptly, I'm perishing from hunger."  He rose and stepped to the table.  "And you anticipated my appetite wonderfully, roast beef, no less, and fine-looking potatoes to attend it.  You are a marvel, my dear lady."  He took her hand and kissed it roguishly, eliciting a giggle from her before she took her leave, declaring her lodger a cheeky fellow.

"Ezri," he called to his partner, "supper is on the table and I'm opening the wine."

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
Re: Gray & Craig - Preternatural Consulting Detectives
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 12:12:26 AM »
Meanwhile...

Deep in the hear of London a Bobby staggered out from an alley, his eyes wide in a face the color of fresh milk.  His mouth moved by no sounds were forthcoming.  A civic-minded matron stopped and delivered a blistering tirade about his appearance and his obvious drunkenness when he turned his face to her, and the contents of his stomach spewed forth and covered the patroness of the streets before his eyes rolled back in his head and he fell back unconscious.  Shrill denunciations turned to screams of horror and outrage, and then shrill bloodcurdling horror whe she saw the blood dripping from his boots.

Days on a damn kraut airship from Australia to England, with stops at every unsavory aerial port along the way left him in a foul mood.  There were whole weeks that it didn't pay to be a special diplomatic courier.  At least they had a steam coach waiting for him, and the chests he carried, each carefully safeguarded with diplomatic seals.  His job was done, when he reached the embassy he enjoyed several tastes of the only thing this dismal foggy rock in the North Sea had to offer, single malt scotch.  It was the job of another to collect the portions of the goods that needed to be distributed, including a large box for bond street.  Michael was just sitting down to eat when that box was out the back door to be delivered.

Offline Shades of Gray

• Game Master
  • Baronet/Baronetess
  • Awards NaNoWriMo Participant Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Board Game Master
    • http://groups.msn.com/DarkWaters/_whatsnew.msnw
    • Awards
Re: Gray & Craig - Preternatural Consulting Detectives (Shades of Gray)
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 11:50:16 PM »
She could hear him bickering in the opposite room; a  constant for her that blended into the background like music. Ezri was so used  to it by now that the woman knew when to grunt and
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 11:50:55 PM by Shades of Gray »
"Are you sure you know what you're doing?"
"Not one bit. But it's okay, I'm like every landlord in the nation. I've Googled directions."
"Shit."

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 02:53:38 AM »
"That's what I like about you," he regarded her with a cocked eyebrow.  "Your sunny disposition and eternal optimism."  He indicated the Strand Magazine.  "Read the description of the flat Holmes and Watson share and then have a gander at our own digs.  He lifted our accommodations and dropped them directly into his writing.  I'll give him credit for his scientific methods, he certainly paid attention there, and he didn't come out and say that his holmes fellow had gifts, he covered that with that deduction business, but if anyone gets the notion in their heads that he learned much of this by borrowing reports from Scotland Yard about out exploits we'll be miserable."

He paused long enough to devour a plate of roast beef and broiled potatoes before continuing.  "There's talk about putting airship masts in Central London," he pointed to the paper with his knife before he refilled his plate again.  "I'm not sure that I approve.  Just watch, some idiot will lean too far from a window and fall, and in central London that means ten others get flattened with the poor sod.  Germany is building most of those bloody things now, mark my words, let that bull-necked kraut they have as a Kaiser have too many toys like that and he'll do something daft.  The admiralty had better pull their fingers out and realize that ships are nice but airships are the future."

He was about to launch into a fresh subject when there was a tap at the door below.  "Who would come at suppertime?" he grumbled and had his question answered soon after as a thin man struggled in with a locked case.  "What have we here?" he asked.  "And at suppertime?"

"I am Pearle, from the Caladonian Embassy," he presented his card.  "This case accompanied the routine diplomatic pouch and was addressed to you."  He bowed slightly to Ezri and slipped back out as quickly as he came in.  Mrs Moriarty stared at the man in confusion and closed the door as they left together.

Michael studied the lock for a moment and grinned, taking out his watch fob and twisting it into a key, he carefully unlocked the case and opened it.  "Very nice!" he turned it to show Ezri.  There was a cut down shotgun of the new semi-automatic type, as well as two automatic revolvers, one in .50 caliber and the other in .44.  There was also a nice selection of ammunition, lead and silver.  "I believe they even got all of the Chemicals you wanted from Palto Riaga as well.  The place will reek of potions soon I'm afraid."

Offline Shades of Gray

• Game Master
  • Baronet/Baronetess
  • Awards NaNoWriMo Participant Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Board Game Master
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:37:23 AM »
Her smirk was cleverly hidden behind her wine glass, masked  by the dark liquid that greeted her lips and danced across her pallet. A bit  dry, but not too much, tasting of elderberries and the remnants of chocolate, a  fine concoction that made Ezri quite pleased. She set the glass down once she  retained control of her face and served herself, taking in Michael
"Not one bit. But it's okay, I'm like every landlord in the nation. I've Googled directions."
"Shit."

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 03:51:42 PM »
Michael heard the sound of clattering hooves and wheels of a cab that suddenly slid to a stop in the street.  "I suggest you load silver," Michael sighed as someone pounded frantically at the door.  "I believe duty calls."

"Ah, Inspector Haldane, sit you and have a glass of wine," Michael greeted him as the wild-eyed man entered their rooms, then reconsidered.  "No, only a whiskey will do," he rose and poured a double and set it before the frazzled man who took the whole glass down and held it out for another.

"Ah would nae believe it if Ah had nae seen it wi' muh own eyes," the broad Scot's of the inspector's upbringing crept back into the foreground when he was under considerable stress.  "A woomun skinned an' all taken fro' th' body."

"And you think the ripper has returned?"

"Some do," he conceded, belting down the last of the second drink and composing himself.  "I dinnae, th' cuts 'r all wrong, an' the body was left, not cut in place."

"Interesting.  What would you say to a trip with the inspector to have a look at this singular occurrence?"  Michael asked as he opened his bag, similar to a doctor's bag to check that he had all he needed, then loaded the pistol with silver and slid it into a holster at his back, well hidden under his coat.

"Thot's a beg fookin' gun," Haldane marvelled, then a sheet of crimson shot up his face and he mumbled an apology to Ezri.

Offline Shades of Gray

• Game Master
  • Baronet/Baronetess
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 12:12:12 PM »
If the news of a woman having been found skinned was  startling, Ezri didn
"Shit."

Offline Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 03:58:35 PM »
Michael took her arm and they descended the stairs and swept straight into a waiting cab.  A word from inspector Haldane soon had the hooves clattering faster than normal on the cobbles and in the space of a quarter of an hour they descended to find a ring of constables blocking the body.  "We learned after the ripper," Haldane murmured.  "Keep the scene clean."

He led them into the ring and a few of the men hid the bodies from view with blankets as they knelt to observe.  It was as he said.  Skinned, but there were only a few traces of tool work in this.  "Whatever they used, it left dashed few traces," Michael observed.  "Ezri, what do you make of it?"

Untitled Document

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. FARPWG - The Guild may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy (Magic site) (D&D site). For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING®, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS®, D&D®, PLAYER'S HANDBOOK 2®, and DUNGEON MASTER'S GUIDE® are trademark[s] of Wizards of the Coast and D&D® core rules, game mechanics, characters and their distinctive likenesses are the property of the Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website at (www.wizards.com)

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by any company unless specified. In order to review products Guild Members may reference trademarks and other intellectual property of these companies without intent to violate trademarks or copyrights.

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild provides forum boards, server space and bandwidth, without compensation, to support Idaho gaming and fandom.

This product is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool. process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your canceled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to ensure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in a well-ventilated are. Keep away from fire or flames. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. No transfers issued until the bus comes to a complete stop. Package sold by weight, not volume. Your mileage may vary. This article does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my cat. Don't quote me on that. Don't quote me on anything. All rights reserved. You may distribute this article freely but you may not make a profit from it. Terms are subject to change without notice. Illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental. Do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law. Hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat. Do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle. No substitutions allowed. For a limited time only. This article is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted. Caveat emptor. Article is provided "as is" without any warranties. Reader assumes full responsibility. An equal opportunity article. No shoes, no shirt, no articles. quantities are limited while supplies last. If any defects are discovered, do not attempt to read them yourself, but return to an authorized service center. Read at your own risk. Parental advisory - explicit lyrics. Text may contain explicit materials some readers may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised. Keep away from sunlight. Keep away from pets and small children. Limit one-per-family please. No money down. No purchase necessary. You need not be present to win. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Instructions are included. Action figures sold separately. No preservatives added. Slippery when wet. Safety goggles may be required during use. Sealed for your protection, do not read if safety seal is broken. Call before you dig. Not liable for damages arising from use or misuse. For external use only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading. Read only with proper ventilation. Avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool dry place. Keep away from open flames. Avoid contact with eyes and skin and avoid inhaling fumes. Do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not place near a flammable or magnetic source. Smoking this article could be hazardous to your health. The best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a condom. No salt, MSG, artificial color or flavoring added. If ingested, do not induce vomiting, and if symptoms persist, consult a physician. Articles are ribbed for your pleasure. Possible penalties for early withdrawal. Offer valid only at participating sites. Slightly higher west of the Rockies. Allow four to six weeks for delivery. must be 18 to read. Disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper reading, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized reading, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom vibrations, customer adjustments that are not covered in this list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB's, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.). Other restrictions may apply. This supersedes all previous notices.

Opinions in articles, posts and podcasts do not necessarily represent the views of The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild.

FARPWG The Guild © 2004-2017 Tim Boothby - All Rights are retained by those posting art, lyrics, messages and articles.

* About Me!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Here?

• Dot Guests: 2
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Most Recent

Re: The Tamber Saga by Milady Kim
[May 20, 2018, 07:16:39 PM]

Re: The Tamber Saga by Lord Palatine
[May 19, 2018, 09:03:11 PM]

[May 19, 2018, 08:16:30 AM]

[May 19, 2018, 12:47:30 AM]

[May 19, 2018, 12:32:27 AM]

[May 19, 2018, 12:21:34 AM]

[May 18, 2018, 11:44:55 PM]

[May 18, 2018, 11:08:14 PM]

[May 18, 2018, 09:07:24 PM]

[May 17, 2018, 11:48:39 PM]

[May 17, 2018, 11:38:05 PM]

[May 17, 2018, 11:10:44 PM]

[May 17, 2018, 11:06:29 PM]

[May 17, 2018, 10:33:01 PM]

[May 11, 2018, 09:32:31 PM]

Affiliated Sites

Red Zone Fandom Red Zone Fan Photography Scribe of the Realm Science Fox Serious Lesbian

Red Zone Galleries

Boise Area Conventions

Us Being Social

Guild on Facebook Red Zone Facebook Red Zone Twitter Red Zone Youtube