collapse

Author Topic: Airship Empress (Shae)  (Read 32175 times)

Description:

Not Yet Rated!

Online Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Grand Duke/Grand Duchess
  • Face for radio, voice for print!
  • Awards Has made 9,000+ posts Has made 8,000+ posts Has made 7,000+ posts Has made 6,000+ posts Has made 5,000+ posts Has made 4,000+ posts Has made 3,000+ posts Has made 2,000+ posts A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
Re: Airship Empress (Game Thread)
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 08:39:42 AM »
"Master Chief," Commander Magnus Kielley greeted the ranking enlisted person on the Empress.  "Come in and have a seat," Kielley pointed to the chair beside the small writing desk in his quarters, which also doubled as his office.  "What brings you to officer's country?"

"I know you school kids," he began, using his davorite term for officers, "are a little worried about the new captain."

"You're not?"

"Not so much," Master Chief Polo Polamalu said as shook his head.  "I know chiefs out in the boats, they know her and they call her a damn good fighter and captain."

"In that order?"

"Depends on who you ask," Polo replied.  "The tactical kids and the marines point to fighter first, but they would.  All I need to know is that she's beat just about everything she's come up against, she knows how to use her strengths, and she doesn't pretend to know more than she does, at least that's what the chiefs in the boats tell me."

Kielley grinned slightly.  "Good to know, hopefully she gets her air legs under her soon, there's a lot to show her about this tub."

"She knows fighting and sailing on the compass, we just need to help her learn the ups and downs that go with them in the air.  You have a pretty strong reason to make sure she knows it all, don't you?"

"If you mean the Pegasus," Kielley grinned wider, "then yes I suppose you're right.  The frame is assembled and she's being fitted out and soon they'll start skinning her.  Two months till air trials I expect."

"You'll both be ready," Polo rose and stretched.  "And if you'll pardon me, I have to go start the motion picture for the night."

"What will that be?"

"A naughty movie," Polo shrugged.  "They've earned it."

Kielley rolled his eyes.  "I'd hate to be in the laundry when all of those socks come in."

Polo grinned and waved dismissively as he left.

Captain Gunther Rall read the report carefully.  "Who could have an airship in the far-east pacific?" he asked his intelligence officer.

"It is still unknown," Lieutenant Schmidt replied.  "But it is of no particular moment, our engineers are the best in the world, and we have more experience in the air than anyone else."

"But you say that it is sighted to the east of German holdings, so that likely means British, French or Dutch."

"No matter, if we encounter it perhaps we can send a message," Schmidt said dismissively.

"Send a coded message to our nearest ground station to be wired to Berlin, I would like this phantom airship added to our list of approved targets, and I want updated reports on where Rampage and the new class of Caledonian ships are located.  We'll be over Palto Riaga in two days, and I want to know if we can start making our statement earlier than anticipated."

"We have excellent photographs of the British ports in India, that will make a good start."

"The British are a threat to expansion, but this Turnbull fellow is troublesome as well, he has an unwholesome reputation for meddling."

"And he has Blackwood," Schmidt reminded him.

"She's a, what is the American word?  Ah yes, splittail.  She was left on that wood and steel tub and command of their dreadnoughts went to men, Turnbull may use her to stir things up, but she's expendable and a lone wolf.  If she ventures too far north the Russians will toss her to the lower decks for amusement.  Not that they'll enjoy her too much, those savages like their women fat."  Rall shook his head.  "Get me those reports, I want to sink that wooden tub and that silly girl with it.  I don't like to see our failures build a reputation elsewhere."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Shae Dravenmore

• Master Procrastinator
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Count/Countess
  • Life is an open beta test.
  • Awards NaNoWriMo Participant Has made 2,000+ posts Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2010, 10:18:47 PM »
She was standing and moving before she even realized that he had spoke.  "Don't..."  She resisted, but his compulsion was stronger, and she was drawn to that damnable window.  She was shaking, much more definite than the tiny tremble she had exhibited earlier, and she made a weak sound of protest when he opened the curtain.  Her gaze shot up, resolutely focused on anything but the void below her.  Porras was perhaps the only person alive who knew of her crippling fear of heights (though whether or not he was truly considered 'alive' was up for debate).  Not even Quin knew the secret, and her brother, who had been the cause of that fear, had been crushed below her artillery only two years ago when Germany sent him in a vain quest to destroy her.

She hated when he did this to her.  Absolutely despised Porras when he pushed his influence on her, even if, for the most part, it was for her own good.  He was the only man, no, the only being who could control and manipulate her so easily.  She was a strong woman, who had built a life and a reputation on the steel in her spine.  To have him take it all away with a single word was akin to rape.

Aerion was sweating, and her knuckles were bone white with the force in her tightly closed fists.  "Stop it..."  To her, heights weren't simply a rational aversion or a recognition of danger to be overcome.  It wasn't the same as the thrill and danger of battle.  It didn't just give her vertigo and send her stomach rolling.  It made her seize up, her body refused to listen to commands, it sent her mind reeling with the terrifying knowledge that a single slip would send her plummeting to her death, and that nothing would stop her and nothing could save her, and God, he was just standing there, laughing at her, he wouldn't help, he was leaving her, he wanted her to die!  "Stop it!"

It took every ounce of strength and will to tear herself away from the window and from Porras' touch, and she stumbled a few steps before catching herself on the back of one of the chairs at the table.  She was sweating hard, her breathing labored, and tears welled in her eyes, fighting to be free in the wake of this terror, even as she fought to contain them and the fear and memories that still clung to her like a disgusting skin.  "Don't..." she started, and had to draw a shaky breath to continue.  "Don't you ever...do that again..."

Not Yet Rated!

Online Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Awards Has made 9,000+ posts Has made 8,000+ posts Has made 7,000+ posts Has made 6,000+ posts Has made 5,000+ posts Has made 4,000+ posts Has made 3,000+ posts Has made 2,000+ posts A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 10:28:17 PM »
Porras accepted the rebuke without question or protest.  "You can master this," he assured her.  "A fear of heights is perfectly natural.  Its not much different than a fear of dying when you go into battle, but you'll find that duty overrides the natural inclinations in time."

Then there was a tap and Mickey's curly head popped in the door.  "There's a lady from the rigging department that wants to fit you with flying leathers, whatever those are.  If you're agreeable she'll be here in a few minutes, and I have your breathing harness thing.  Did you know that if they do too high you can run out of air?  Who's idea was this?  Anyway, Commander Kielley would like to meet you tonight, he's off watch now and is ready at your convenience."  She paused.  "And scuttlebutt says we have a German airship heading to this corner of the world.  I'm not saying that we should kick the crap out of them, but somebody needs to pay for me having this much air under my ass."

"I don't remember he being so vocal," Porras said after the door slammed.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Shae Dravenmore

• Master Procrastinator
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Count/Countess
  • Awards NaNoWriMo Participant Has made 2,000+ posts Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 11:15:35 PM »
If nothing else, Aerion Blackwood was a master at composing herself quickly when she did not have the time or luxury of being otherwise.  She nodded her consent to the fitting, and agreed to meet with Kielley afterward.  It was nice to know she had at least one person who wasn't paid to kiss her ass.

After the door closed, she took another steadying breath, gradually gathering her nerves back together.  However, she was not so scattered as to neglect to give Porras his marching orders.  "Get out," she spoke lowly, skipping the typical tact and 'thank-you-kindly's in favor of the more abrupt approach.  "And pray that I forgive you for this."

Not Yet Rated!

Online Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2010, 11:33:49 PM »
"Bad day to be an atheist then," Porras grinned as he slipped out.  A few moments later a woman from the rigging department arrived with a few sets of what she called 'leathers.'  It was comprised of lined boots that rose to the knee and buckled along the sides, the trousers and jacket were also lined.  "They are reinforces at the shoulders, elbows and knees," she explained.  "They'll help protect you from the cold, from steam and even from fire."  Then she fitted her with a few leather helmets with goggles until she found hust the right fit.  "The air mask snaps with to it and you're ready for anything, the helmet is reinforced too, so you won't feel it nearly as much when you hit your head."

Then she slipped a harness around her, it was a belt with suspenders.  There were two air bottles fixed to it and it held the air mask so all she had to do was raise it up and snap it into place on the sides.  "When we go high the air gets thin," she explained.  But you can take this hose and connect it to any of these nozzles," she showed her that she had several in her office.  "They'll refill your bottles and give you all the air you need."  She thought a moment.  "I have connectors for holsters, knife sheathes and sword scabbards, I can connect them to your harness, or even the straps of your boots if you like.  How many of what do you think you'll need?"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Shae Dravenmore

• Master Procrastinator
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2010, 12:04:55 PM »
She was mostly composed again, at least outwardly, when the fitting began, looking no worse than if she had perhaps enjoyed her drink with supper a little too much.  Having a distraction helped to keep her mind off of the window that was still uncovered.  She listened attentively as she spoke, making mental note of this and that, and where all her office nozzles were.  When it came to weapons, however, Blackwood actually had to pause and think a moment.  She was so used to Mickey having everything covered, that she had gotten used to just taking what the girl handed her and strapping it on somewhere.  "A lot," she answered vaguely at last, and gave a small, slow spreading grin.  "Speak with my cabin girl, she'll have the full count."

Not Yet Rated!

Online Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2010, 02:07:34 PM »
Mickey came out and started pointing to the places that needed knives or pistols, then marked the spot for her scabbard as well.  The rigger worked quickly, connecting the hardware for the various implements, including some new and unusual ammunition pouches.  Then Mickey helped Aerion out of the combat garb and saw the rigger out, she paused at the weapon's cabinet and drew out a pistol.  "Have ou seen this yet?  Its a double action, you don't have to cock the hammer back, and it has a safety catch," Mickey insured the weapon was empty and dry fired it twice and then set the safety to show her the operation.  "Then you have there," she showed her the half-moon clips, each with three rounds that slipped into the chambers and the weapon was ready.  "They ain't goofin'," she said, impressed.  "Another thing I found out," she grinned wickedly.  "Did you know that half the crew won't look out the windows unless they have to?"

Nova Caladonian Air Ship (NCAS) Empress

Post__________________Name_______________________
Captain               - Capt Aerion Blackwood
First Officer         - Cmdr Magnus Kielley
Second Officer        - LtCmdr Hamilton Wheeler
Third Officer         - LtCmdr Rikard Wolff

Ship's Navigator      - Lt Lin Jiao
Ship
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 05:55:11 AM by Lord Palatine »

Not Yet Rated!

Online Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 05:43:43 PM »

Britain, Australia and New Zealand studied each other with their peripheral vision as they puffed choice cigars and sipped brandy.  At this level it was best not to use names too often, lest others find out who they were and use that to delve deeper into their pasts.  Predictably it was Australia that ended the silent reverie.  "While I appreciate the meal, and the afters," he drew on his cigar and sent the smoke toward the ceiling fan.  "What do you need that brings us all together?"

"It's not so much a need," Britain replied dismissively, "we've just discovered that our files on a few of your neighbors are out of date, so I was hoping I could rely upon you to help set this aright."

The intelligence chiefs of the two dominions looked at the man from the 'mother country' with great suspicion.  Australia looked to New Zealand who gestured for the brasher of the two dominions to continue to speak for them both.  "Which neighbors?"

"Palto Riaga, New Guinea and Nova Caledonia," Britain replied, holding up a finger for each.

Australia's color came up quickly, but New Zealand raised a finger.  "If I might?" his accent was softer, more a bland of the outback and the home office.

"By all means," Australia gestured grandly.

"Get stuffed," he held up one finger, "we can discuss that," he held up a second, "and bugger off," he held up the third.

"What are you silly pommy bastards playing at?" Australia asked.  "You may be curious but we have to live down here, and given a choice between getting up the nose of the ghouls or Whiskey Jack I'll cut me own nose off."

New Zealand nodded.  "You don't trifle with either or you upset both, Jack Turnbull is just about the only person in the world that the Ghouls like, and Jack is a good friend and a horror of an enemy.  We're both in his good books now, and that's where we'll stay."

"And if I involve the Foreign Office?"

"Then I'm sure somebody will tell him, diplomatically, to bugger himself," Australia replied.  "Don't do anything to upset the applecart, Pommy.  We'll have to clean up what you do in our own hall."

And with that they both left.

Coded message from Dutch Intelligence in the New Hebrides to the Netherlands:  Have confirmed visually the existence of airship from New Caledonia, two flotillas of dreadnought type steamships total of 18 ships.  Will require increase through the East Indies.  German Airship confirmed west of Sumatra, traveling east along equator.

From Berlin to Z16:  Existence of Turnbull airship unconfirmed, believed to be rumor as Caledonia has invested all resources to surface ships.  18 dreadnoughts believed to be at sea.  Rampage between Fanning Is and Union Is.  You are ordered to destroy if sighted, if possible capture Blackwood and return traitor home for trial and execution.

From Chinese Ministry of Culture to Jack:

10 Japanese warships and two 500' airships moved to Formosa.  15 British warships at Hong Kong.

William "Bloody Bill" Turnbull examined all of the reports placed before him.  They all indicated trouble of one sort of another, which was nothing new to Bloody Bill.  His left sleeve was pinned to itself, there was no arm to fill it; his shaved head was scarred terribly and a black patch covered his empty left socket.  Still, some bull-necked kraut was hunting his great nephew, that was something to deal with at once.  He compiled a tersely reported report and had it sent at once in a code closely held but available to all Caledonian captains of ships and the airship.  It amused him that his neighbors took their own sense of superiority to such lengths, but it made finding things out much easier.

"German Airship LZ19 E of Sumatra traveling W along equator, hunting Rampage, orders to destroy and take Blackwood.  Brits want intelligence on us and PR, have flotilla of 15 at Hong Kong.  Japanese have 2 airship and 10 surface at Formosa.  Respectfully recommend Rampage divert due south for long return, also recommend Empress seek and destroy LZ19.  Bloody Bill Sends."

Jack reviewed the message and ordered a course change to the south, on their present course they'd have to pass through German holdings, he'd hook under the Friendly Islands and then on to home.  "Repeat this to Empress with a message to Captain Blackwood.  'From Jack, Good Hunting,' she'll appreciate that I'm sure, maybe she'll cut less out of my hide for it."

Aboard the Empress both coded sequences were relayed to Aerion's teletype ticker on her desk.  Her desk was actually something of a modern marvel.  It held a speaker for the ship-wide phonograph, it also held a speaker for the telephone so she didn't have to lift the receiver to listen, just toggle a switch.  There were also dials to relay airspeed, altitude, wind speed, fuel state, direction and several other interesting tidbits for a captain all angled back from the front edge of the desk toward her.

"News?" Mickey wondered.

Ship
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 05:55:52 AM by Lord Palatine »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Shae Dravenmore

• Master Procrastinator
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2010, 01:38:41 PM »
She turned from Mickey's rundown of her personal armory to check the incoming message.  She frowned at the news; not so much about about the German's hunting her, but that they were after her ship.  she gave a short response to be sent back to Jack. 'I'm taking every ding out of your hide.'  Yes, the Rampage would take on a new captain, but she would always be her ship, no matter who commanded.  Until the day she died, Rampage would be hers.

"Send for Mr. Kielley.  We're going to have to cut the honeymoon short."

Not Yet Rated!

Online Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2010, 05:57:50 PM »
Commander Kielley was one of the few officers or chiefs that wasn't visibly armed on the empress.  It wasn't unusual until one thought about it, but there it was.  All of the officers except Kielley and the surgeons, the chiefs, the marines, no one really thought about why, except perhaps that many of the crew would find a sidearm in the way during normal duties.  Many would have been surprised to see him button his jacket over twin shoulder holsters as he left to answer the captain's summons.  Then again, they'd have been surprised to know he was a skilled boxer, fencer and had led a dozen boarding parties.  He'd met all the requirements of a warrior, but all anyone saw was the engineer.

He tapped out his pipe and stepped out of his quarters and followed the corridor back from officer's country to the captain's quarters.  He only knew of Captain Blackwood by reputation, that was mostly good, a few naysayers, like he cared about them.  He'd reserve opinion until he had data, like a good engineer.  Meanwhile, maybe he'd need to swing by the infirmary and have something looked at, the new ship's surgeon was quite fetching.

He tapped at the door and was admitted by the captain's diminutive steward and stepped in.  "Captain Blackwood," he greeted her, "Commander Kielley," he introduced himself with casual formality.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 07:31:25 PM by Lord Palatine »

Not Yet Rated!

Online Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2010, 10:40:31 AM »
Master Chief Polo Polamau was a veteran of long service, he'd joined up at fifteen when steam was new and mysterious and had followed a course that led him into the Air Service.  Where most of the crew was small (to conserve weight many thought) Polo was thought to be a hybrid of Samoan and dwarf.  Samoan was confirmed, the rest was speculation.  He wasn't tall but his frame was built to crushing specifications, which led him to the marine detachments on the ships.  He was a relatively easy-going man, but not one to be trifled with, and the few sailors that pushed that over the years found out that it might just take three swings of a big axe to bring him down.

He'd already briefed the watch on duty, now he had the rest cornered, even the ones he'd had to kick out of their bunks.  "You know we got our captain now," he began without preamble.  "A lady captain, now I don't mean no sippin'-tea-with-her-pinky-out lady, I mean a navy lady that's sent a few hundred thousand tons down to Davy Jones.  She's a real no shit officer and anybody on my crew is gonna treat her like that there or I'll rip out your spine and beat you to death with it.  She's a lady and a captain, show her that respect, but don't forget she's a warrior just like most of us on this here crew.  So, watch them words, and don't say nothin' stupid.  I don't care how proud you were about getting a French lick on shore leave, you look around before you brag on it.  Same goes for any lady in my crew.  If you wouldn't say it to your sister don't say it to them.  And if you'd tell your sister about gettin' a french lick you got problems that that spine thing might be the only cure for.  And no oglin' my captain.  Do that and I'll poke your eyes out and play marbles with them.  Anybody too stupid to understand what I'm sayin'?"

If there were anyone that stupid, they were smart enough not to admit it.

"Dismissed then."

Ship
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 05:56:37 AM by Lord Palatine »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Shae Dravenmore

• Master Procrastinator
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2010, 09:12:16 PM »
"Commander, come in," she waved him in, and gestured towards the now cleared table.  "Germany sends their love."  She dropped the printed strip on the table in front of him to peruse, and moved to take the seat across from him, rather than the head seat.  With a look, she sent Mickey scampering off to her duties elsewhere.  "Let's get to business.  I'm sure word has already circulated through the ether that I'm a sea captain and know fuck all about flying balloons, but Jack didn't give anyone much choice in this matter."  There was a slight undertone of irritation to her words, revealing that she wasn't happy about being taken away from her ship, but that she wasn't going to fight it.  "With Germany bearing down, we don't have much time to dicker about.  The sooner you bring me up to speed on what this thing can do, and what I can make her do in a pinch, the better suited we'll be to remind the rest of the world what happens when you step out of bounds."

Not Yet Rated!

Online Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2010, 09:49:17 PM »
"You have a ridiculous amount of speed and power at your fingertips," Kielley replied, obviously excited.  "You can climb and dive like a hawk, well, maybe a little slower than that, but we cruise at 90 knots and can step that up to 120 without any real difficulty.  We can climb higher than anything currently made can shoot.  On the other hand we can reach out with armor piercing or high explosive shells to a range of up to 8 miles, and we can drill through up to 8" of hardened steel armor plate at up to 1,000 yards.  We also have smaller guns, but they are at the very cutting edge of technology, and we have 100 pound high explosive bombs that we can drop in freefall or launch downward vertically at high speed.  In testing we drilled a bomb through 11" of turret armor for a full battleship."

He smiled and shook his head.  "Where we are weak is armor, as you'd expect.  You can't lift that much steel plate into the air, but that's no different than taking a destroyer in on a torpedo run at a battle wagon, you have to use maneuvering and speed and a little cunning to minimize the return fire.  Fighting the Empress is a lot like fighting a ship, but in addition to the compass points you have up and down to work with.  Combat in three dimensions gives you a lot more options than two.  You have a good crew, your cheifs are some of the mossiest backs in the fleet, all of them have seen years of combat cruises, and they've taken to the sir like ducks leaving water.  The officers are a bit young, most of us have more design and engineering experience than fighting, but a few of us have seen our time under the gun."

He paused as if ticking items off on a checklist.  "On a surface ship the captain spends a lot of time hunched over a map table plotting tactics, and here won't be much of a difference, you'll have navigation on one side and the ships phones on the other, and you'll be able to fight the ship at the turn of your head."  He referred back to the strip pf paper.  "We can be in combat in 30 hours, depending on how fast they are coming," then he thought a moment and excused himself and walked to her phone and rang for Voorse, the engineer, then returned.  "Voorse studied with Count von Zeppelin, and knows the German gasbaggers well enough, he suspects that the Captain most likely for the Germans to send would be Gunther Rall.  You may be familiar with the name, he's a Prussian bastard according to Voorse, he likes the messy work."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Shae Dravenmore

• Master Procrastinator
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2010, 07:26:02 PM »
She seemed to perk up a bit when he started with the specs.  She knew the airships were better outfitted than the surface vessels, but she had no idea just how much punch they packed.  Then again, knowing Jack, no doubt this was above and beyond what anyone else was flying.  If nothing else, she would have more to work with while she learned how to kill ships all over again.  Blackwood took in all in stride, taking mental notes of this and that, reminding herself what she most definitely had to read into further before they confronted the Germans.  However, when the captain's name came up, so did her gaze, snapping to Kielley with an almost frightening clarity.  "Rall?  You're certain?"  Familiar?  Only in the sense that she wanted to eviscerate the man almost as much as she had wanted the death of her former commander.  Her features turned slowly from attentive absorption of facts to a darkly curling Cheshire grin.  "Never let it be said I don't return favors," she murmured cryptically, her devious grin growing.  "Alright then, Commander, you have 30 hours to teach me how to command an airship effectively.  Even if it's not Rall, Germany needs to be reminded of their place.  They've become too sure of themselves if they think they can run down the Rampage and take me captive.  One of these days the Kaiser will reconsider his foolishness."  Jack's grudge may have been against Russia, but she had no problem extending his standing orders to Germany as well.

Not Yet Rated!

Online Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2010, 07:33:29 PM »
I don't think that'll be a problem," he grinned.  "With your permission, I planned on a battle-stations drill after breakfast, its not meant to be a real test of the crew, its more to let you see what we're capable of, we'll be passing over a small sandy bit of land in the middle of nowhere, we we can blast it a little and no one will care much.  It also gives the riggers a chance to finish up your flight gear, and your cabin girl's as well.  And while I'm thinking on it, Master Chief Polamalu would like to show you your new personal weapons, and walk you through the ship tonight before you retire."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Shae Dravenmore

• Master Procrastinator
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010, 09:05:09 PM »
She nodded to his suggestions, the grin losing some of its edge.  "Of course.  Business before pleasure."  Even now, she held true to what she had said on her first visit to Palto Riaga.  Business and leisure were to remain separate.  However, there was no reason that business could not be pleasurable.  And she expected to enjoy very much the business of destroying Germany's new airship.  Just so long as she didn't have to be the one looking out any windows...

Not Yet Rated!

Online Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 11:39:34 PM »
"You'll find the Master Chief to be something of a character, but he was with the Empress from the forging of the first bolt.  He also has the distinction of having routinely spanked a young Jack Turnbull when that gentleman was a young Naval Cadet.  He's also one of the few members of the crew that is qualified in all sections, gunnery, engineering, rigging, he can even repair the wireless.  He can show you every nook and cranny."

He was interrupted by a tapping at the door that opened to admit a shorter man that was wide enough at the shoulders that he had to turn sideways slightly to fit through.  His hair was a shirt bristle, as was his beard.  "Captain," he greeted her.  "I'm Polo, your bastard, and we're going to whip more asses than a flock of nuns at a reform school!"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Shae Dravenmore

• Master Procrastinator
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2010, 04:47:21 PM »
She grinned when the man himself interrupted his own introduction.  "Master Chief," she returned, and took his hand with a firm shake.  "Any man who's whipped Jack and made him like it is welcome on my ship," she grinned.  True, a hand shake might not be 'proper' decorum, but there was little about the way that Blackwood ran her vessels that traditionalists would find proper.  Besides, she wasn't fool enough to think a ship was run by officers alone.  "I have a vessel to learn and Germans to sink, and I hear you're the man to see about it all.  If you're ready, let's get underway."

Not Yet Rated!

Online Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2010, 07:24:21 PM »
Polo led her from the office and down the corridor moving aft.  "We have the marine Quarters here on the right, and the hospital on the left and then back here further,:" he pointed to a sign identifying the area as station 156.5, "we have water, fuel and oil storage below us and we have machinery shops, the electrical and generator rooms, and now, he raised his voice, we have the forward engine space."

The boilers the gas jet burners were surprisingly quiet, there were no coal shovelers and only the noise of the steam turbines, themselves not that loud, gave off noise.  The shafts spun going to the lower and upper engines extending outward.  He continued to lead her aft through more cargo, fuel and oil storage to the bomb racks and tubes.

"Lieutenant Peccedine has volunteered to learn Aerial Gunnery," he indicated her at the aiming station, wearing snug leathers and watching a chief at work.  "She and Chief Fleer are calibrating the second vertical tube, we had a complete second one in spare parts, so we figured it would do more good installed.  This is station 123.5, forward of the line we have the tubes on one side and the aiming station here on the other.  The sights are derived from the Babbage Difference Engine, a mechanical calculating machine that corrects the aim points for the bombs based on height and winds and such."

He led her back through more cargo spaces, storage tanks, until at last they stood in Chief's Country.  "Me and the Chiefs live back here, we don't sleep as far as you're concerned, if you need us pick up the telephone or come back and yell for us.  There's a fifty caliber machine gun under out feet, they tell me, I ain't goin' down there to look.  This is the ground," he stamped his foot.  "And I don't want to find no different."

He stopped just forward of the tail fins, at station 62.  "You can go back aft and down to the tail, where you came in, but you seen that so we're going up to the central corridor.  "Anything you want to ask about that we saw, or go back and see it again?"

Ship
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 05:57:33 AM by Lord Palatine »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Shae Dravenmore

• Master Procrastinator
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2010, 11:54:17 AM »
"Let's continue on."  It would take her time to learn the layout anyway.  Nothing like a complete change of vessel to mess with her internal compass.

Not Yet Rated!

Online Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2010, 12:30:59 PM »
"Its a climb from here, polo said apologetically, normally I'd go first so you wouldn't worry about me ogling your stern, but if you fall I catch you, but if I fall we're both paste.  But, we're only going up to the walkway that runs through the center of the gasbags.  He followed her up, and led her aft. 

"This is the stinger in the tail," he grinned and pointed to a hydraulically-powered 1" gatling-style cannon.  "We can shoot armor piercing or incendiary rounds from here, they are big, heavy and fast, and then you factor in the twin fifty-caliber machine guns, and we have the most dangerous butt that I know of, but I'm hoping to upgrade the one-inch with a two inch, just in case.  Its always manned," he pointed to the airman sipping coffee and watching out the aft bubble.  "And we even have a big spotlight to light things up, or blind people."

Then he led her forward, passing the length of the airship.  He pointed out the vertical shafts going to the top of the envelope.  "I don't go up there less I have to, but we have two machine gun positions up there, always manned, and they vent helium in case we get leaks."  Then he led her to the nose.  "And this is forward gunnery, a one-inch rotary cannon, two fifty caliber machine guns, and he pointed to the platform below them.  The main gun."

He went down the ladder. and pointed happily to the piece.  It fires a twenty pound projectile, fragmentation, high explosive or armor piercing, and we can send twenty rounds per minute downrange.  It has a fourteen foot rifled barrel and we can reach out for a few miles on an absolutely flat trajectory.  Then he showed her the sighting system.  "Chief Fleer designed this, you look through here and adjust the knobs and it gets your range for you, and we have these gauges to show us speed, wind speed, direction and even barrel temperature and it corrects the aiming point cross hairs.  We've hit a two foot target at a mile and a half."

Then he led her back down the curving keel corridor, showing her the officer's quarters, clerk's office and radio room.  "We have a system better than Marconi's, and a surface ship can only reach out five hundred miles, the higher we go the farther we can transmit and recieve, and we can even use a directional antenna for short-range stuff to keep others from listening in, and we even have a long wire phone we can lower to talk to people on land of ship so nobody can hear us, its got a thousand feet of wire.  We'll look at the control gondola tomorrow," he said and led her back past her own quarters and up the stairs to the crew level.  We have port and starboard gun decks, four of the fifty cals and two one-inchers per side, then we have the sit down dining room, and the crew plays cards and stuff here, and he led her around to the other side.  and we have an exercise room and library over here.  Jack is a disciple of that mind and body need to be strong philosophy.  All well and good, but they play more cards and watch more moving pictures than they read.  The marines and gunner like the exercise room though, we don't have weights, because that would cut into our payload, but there are some exercising fools on this tub."  He pointed to a line of copiously sweating men and women.

Then he showed her the galley, down below.  "Its late so we're on mid-rats right now," he pointed to covered trays of sliced ham and beef with bread and other fixings and several large coffee urns.  "But Beano has a couple of really good sidekicks and they can fix just about any kind of food you can think of.  You got a damned good ship captain, we can kick the stuffing out of anything if we play it smart, they can run, but they'll just die sweaty."  He showed her back into her own office, where Mickey was standing in the middle of the room looking like a leathery bug, staring at her through thick goggles.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 12:52:16 PM by Lord Palatine »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Shae Dravenmore

• Master Procrastinator
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2010, 11:46:34 PM »
Blackwood cocked a brow at the girl as she entered, and paused to give her a thorough look.  "And just what are you supposed to be?"

Not Yet Rated!

Online Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2010, 11:34:47 AM »
"This is my 'air girl, avenger of the skies' costume," she replied in a dry voice that was muffled by the breathing mask.  "You have one too," she said as she pushed up the goggles and unsnapped the mask.  "But yours get to fit because you aren't growing anymore.  Lucky you.  Holy hell, that's a big side of beef."  She goggled at the Master Chief.

"What have we here?" Polo stepped up and looked down at her.  "A sinister she-dwarf perhaps?"

Mickey looked him in the eye.  "Worse," she grumbled.  "A mouthy red-head who's feet ain't on nice solid water no more.  I don't even want to think about what kind of woman wears leather pants willingly, that just ain't right."

"What are you babbling about?" Polo asked her.

"I knew it," Mickey grumbled.  "No brain can survive a neck that thick."  She stepped over to the table and opened several wooden boxes.  "Your new handguns," she said to Aerion.  "They couldn't leave well enough alone so they made something called an auto revolver, shoot and the upper including the cylinder and barrel slides back, cocks the hammer and advances the cylinder to the next round."  She showed that it was unloaded and cycled the works to show her captain.  "Two in forty-four caliber, and one in fifty.  And they look just plain weird!"

"I was supposed to show her those," Polo sighed.  "And they do not look weird you dehydrating bilge rat, they are the most technically advanced examples of personal handguns in existence today."

"They look weird," Mickey said as she walked off toward the captain's bedroom and her own quarters off the side.  "I won't steal any more of his thunder." Mickey grumbled.  "Damn leather is squeezing my butt.  That isn't right, that's just wrong.  Weirdos!" She said, walking out with her hands hiding her posterior.
"I like her," Polo said after a moment.  "Maybe I don't feed her to a fish."  He grinned and pointed to another box, choices galore, here we have a choice of the tried and true versus the new and really deadly.  We have the classic twelve gauge double, and the semi-automatic shotgun, two shots versus five.  A standard load-out for one of Jack's officers is a forty-four at the right hip and at the small of the back, set for a left-hand draw.  The fifty under the arm and the semi-twelve in a cross-draw at the left hip.  But, you're a sword lady, so you might need to play with that.  Maybe leave off the fifty, forty-fours in shoulder holsters, the twelve on the right hip and the sword on the left.  You'll figure it out."  He grinned and shrugged and stepped to a cabinet beside her bedroom door, it contained leather garments like Mickey's.

"At great heights you can suffocate or worse," he said.  "Worse is things like dry land drowning, your brain coming unglued or your heart exploding.  The usual, everything has its own special hazards.  That's why we all have our own personal breathing kits," he showed her the bag he wore on a shoulder strap.  Two ten minute air bottles and a breathing mask.  This one is yours," he handed one to her from her locker.  "This is in case we have to climb fast with no notice, or there's a fire.  The rest is for those times we know its coming.  Like tomorrow's battle stations drills.  It'll keep you warm, and toasty, but if you see anybody staring at your stern, point them out to me, I warned them!"

Ship
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 05:58:40 AM by Lord Palatine »

Not Yet Rated!

Online Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2010, 01:25:16 AM »
Aboard the Rampage

Not Yet Rated!

Online Lord Palatine

• Ye Olde Man
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
    • Scribe of the Realm
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2010, 06:04:43 PM »

Airship LZ16 reeled up a package from the innocuous-looking vessel below and within minutes Kapit

Untitled Document

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. FARPWG - The Guild may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy (Magic site) (D&D site). For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING®, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS®, D&D®, PLAYER'S HANDBOOK 2®, and DUNGEON MASTER'S GUIDE® are trademark[s] of Wizards of the Coast and D&D® core rules, game mechanics, characters and their distinctive likenesses are the property of the Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website at (www.wizards.com)

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by any company unless specified. In order to review products Guild Members may reference trademarks and other intellectual property of these companies without intent to violate trademarks or copyrights.

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild provides forum boards, server space and bandwidth, without compensation, to support Idaho gaming and fandom.

This product is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool. process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your canceled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to ensure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in a well-ventilated are. Keep away from fire or flames. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. No transfers issued until the bus comes to a complete stop. Package sold by weight, not volume. Your mileage may vary. This article does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my cat. Don't quote me on that. Don't quote me on anything. All rights reserved. You may distribute this article freely but you may not make a profit from it. Terms are subject to change without notice. Illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental. Do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law. Hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat. Do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle. No substitutions allowed. For a limited time only. This article is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted. Caveat emptor. Article is provided "as is" without any warranties. Reader assumes full responsibility. An equal opportunity article. No shoes, no shirt, no articles. quantities are limited while supplies last. If any defects are discovered, do not attempt to read them yourself, but return to an authorized service center. Read at your own risk. Parental advisory - explicit lyrics. Text may contain explicit materials some readers may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised. Keep away from sunlight. Keep away from pets and small children. Limit one-per-family please. No money down. No purchase necessary. You need not be present to win. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Instructions are included. Action figures sold separately. No preservatives added. Slippery when wet. Safety goggles may be required during use. Sealed for your protection, do not read if safety seal is broken. Call before you dig. Not liable for damages arising from use or misuse. For external use only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading. Read only with proper ventilation. Avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool dry place. Keep away from open flames. Avoid contact with eyes and skin and avoid inhaling fumes. Do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not place near a flammable or magnetic source. Smoking this article could be hazardous to your health. The best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a condom. No salt, MSG, artificial color or flavoring added. If ingested, do not induce vomiting, and if symptoms persist, consult a physician. Articles are ribbed for your pleasure. Possible penalties for early withdrawal. Offer valid only at participating sites. Slightly higher west of the Rockies. Allow four to six weeks for delivery. must be 18 to read. Disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper reading, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized reading, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom vibrations, customer adjustments that are not covered in this list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB's, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.). Other restrictions may apply. This supersedes all previous notices.

Opinions in articles, posts and podcasts do not necessarily represent the views of The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild.

FARPWG The Guild © 2004-2017 Tim Boothby - All Rights are retained by those posting art, lyrics, messages and articles.

* About Me!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Here?

• Dot Guests: 51
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Most Recent

Re: The Tamber Saga by Lord Palatine
[Yesterday at 11:17:57 PM]

Re: The Tamber Saga by Milady Kim
[Yesterday at 10:57:00 PM]

[Yesterday at 10:40:36 PM]

[Yesterday at 10:17:57 PM]

[Yesterday at 10:11:32 PM]

[Yesterday at 10:08:59 PM]

[Yesterday at 09:57:59 PM]

[Yesterday at 09:50:26 PM]

[Yesterday at 09:39:16 PM]

[Yesterday at 09:35:22 PM]

[Yesterday at 09:31:23 PM]

[Yesterday at 09:04:18 PM]

[Yesterday at 08:52:40 PM]

[Yesterday at 08:48:19 PM]

[Yesterday at 08:35:47 PM]

Affiliated Sites

Red Zone Fandom Red Zone Fan Photography Scribe of the Realm Science Fox Serious Lesbian

Red Zone Galleries

Boise Area Conventions

Us Being Social

Guild on Facebook Red Zone Facebook Red Zone Twitter Red Zone Youtube