collapse

Author Topic: Grey Feathers  (Read 10250 times)

Description:

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
  • Awards Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts NaNoWriMo Participant Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Awards
Re: Grey Feathers
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2009, 09:10:08 PM »
When Marion didn't object, the woman helped her to her feet, guiding her gently to the nearby bed.  It was a narrow cot, clearly built for Martha, not her mother.  She set Marion on the bed, helping her to lay down, lifting her feet up.  "There you are, now.  You just rest.  I'll just stay here with my knitting, keep watch.  If you need anything, dearie, you just let me know."  She settled herself back on her stool, scooping her discarded knitting from the floor and humming quietly.

Meanwhile, down by the creek, Robin knelt on the bank, having stripped off his tunic and shirt.  He had found a patch of sunlight, and was trying to scrub the blood out of his clothes.  Clearly, it wasn't going as well as he might have wanted, for he had broken out into a sweat, and was muttering curses mixed with his conversation with Little John.  "He's getting more desperate.  Otherwise why send them in after us?  And why would they feel so obligated to follow down so far?"  Robin paused for a moment to curse a bit and scrub more intensely before sitting back and grunting.  "That's as good as it's going to get, I think.  Anyway, he's not going to be happy about Robert."

Offline Shades of Gray

• Game Master
  • Baronet/Baronetess
  • Awards NaNoWriMo Participant Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Board Game Master
    • http://groups.msn.com/DarkWaters/_whatsnew.msnw
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2009, 07:48:39 PM »
Little John sat on a stump before the stream, listening to Robin grumbling away, and the swish of water as he scrubbed at his clothes. The large man was currently busy cleaning himself; scraping out the grit from under his nails with the edge of one fine dagger, in far better condition than the clothing he wore; smeared with sap, the smeared cake of dirt, and a bit of blood. He decided to scrub at his clothes later; he still had a few clean sets to work with back in his hut. "Who knows?" He muttered more than spoke, intently watching the grit flake out from under his nails. Cutting himself would have been... stupid. "Kinda looked as if they were waitin' on sumthin', almost surprised we poked our heads out when we did."
"Are you sure you know what you're doing?"
"Not one bit. But it's okay, I'm like every landlord in the nation. I've Googled directions."
"Shit."

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
  • Awards Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts NaNoWriMo Participant Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 10:10:31 AM »
"It's the waiting that causes me the most stress."  Robin tossed his wet tunic onto a rock in the sun to dry and slid back into the shade, sitting with his knees up.  "Things are getting desperate, both for him and us.  If we're going to do anything about him, it needs to be done soon.  It wouldn't do to have the King come back to this, especially after being over there."  Bright green eyes glazed a bit as Robin seemed to slip back into a different time, remembering.  He shook it off quickly, looking over at John.  "Nottingham has been moving a lot of gold recently.  We need to find out where it's going."

Offline Shades of Gray

• Game Master
  • Baronet/Baronetess
  • Awards NaNoWriMo Participant Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Board Game Master
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 02:30:31 PM »
John looked up when the wet slap sounded, blinking as if he was only now aware of Robin fighting to stay clean. Noble habits never left some... the bigger man grinned, and it looked like something that belonged on a badger's mouth. "Need a little rosewater to rince with, mylord?" Jesting aside, he piked his knife into the log he was sitting on, and rested elbows on his legs, showing more direct interest in Robin's words. He wasn't a man who turned down the opportunity to have fun with a woman, to cut a few throats, or poke thorns into the side of certain officials. He liked pokin... "Well that should be easy enough. If they want to get it anywhere of use they've got to head through the forest, right? They tax the people to live and breathe. Would only be fair to propose the ta of them movin' through your forests."
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 06:26:29 PM by Hawkeye »
"Not one bit. But it's okay, I'm like every landlord in the nation. I've Googled directions."
"Shit."

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2009, 05:20:59 PM »
Squinting, Robin grabbed his tunic and slung it towards Little John, holding onto the end of it.  He pulled it back and set it back in the sun, smiling as he did so.  "I like that plan.  Tax them as they come through, try to see if we can tell where it's headed.  There should be missives to go along with the money, after all.  And if that fails...someone will just have to tail them.  Robin shrugged with one shoulder, more of a roll to release unseen tension.  "He is getting altogether too comfortable with the King gone.  We should station people on the roads at all times, make sure he doesn't try and sneak past us in the middle of the night."

Offline Shades of Gray

• Game Master
  • Baronet/Baronetess
    • Awards
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2009, 04:15:31 PM »
Little John grunted with agreement, wiping at his arm where the wet slap of Robin's tunic had left it's mark. He hoped he stretched it out... "It would be out civic duty; the good of the people. Lord knows the bastard ain't usin' it to fix roads or replace devistated crop." Pulling the dagger from the stumb, John wiped the blade clean on his pant leg, and sheathed it back into his boot.
"Shit."

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2009, 10:40:20 AM »
"That's because he's the one devastating the crops and destroying the roads.  But then blames the good people for it, and forces them to pay the taxes to fix the roads, and instead hosts huge balls, rather than helping the citizens he was left in charge of."  Clearly this was a deep issue for him, for Robin stared angrily at the stream.  "He needs to be stopped, and there has to be something we can do that's bigger than picking off these stupid little caravans that come through.  Frequent as they are, and irritating as we are, it's not enough.  Eventually, his sheer numbers will overrun us."

Offline Shades of Gray

• Game Master
  • Baronet/Baronetess
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2009, 11:23:19 AM »
Little John scoffed... or maybe snorted? The sound was deep and came from the throat, and soon after he spat out a great wad that landed in the stream, floating away from Robin. Apparently that had been the deciding factor. "I'm a fan of killin' him." His large shoulders shrugged before his head tilted off to the side in question. "You're right about their numbers; if they all came at us at once, there ain't much we'd be able to do; save perhaps shit ourselves, make a nusance of the situation... But you're a smart one; if we take out the supports, the whole buildin' will go down. We take down the Prince John, his little pack of badgers... what reason would the other numbers have for a fight?"
"Shit."

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2009, 10:02:39 AM »
Robin snorted and rolled his eyes."Classy, Little John, very classy.  The intention is that none will feel like fighting anymore.  It might take time to trickle down, but it should have the desired effect."  With a languid sigh, Robin stretched out like a cat, extending his legs into the sun to warm them.  "Now it's just a simple matter of getting to him."

Offline Shades of Gray

• Game Master
  • Baronet/Baronetess
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2009, 11:20:56 AM »
Another shrug from the larger man. "So, then we find what he wants, right? Theres got to be some sniveling worker tryin' to brown up his nose in their presence. A contact mayhaps? A trusted someone. Find them, and either use them to our advantage in learning; or make the bastard try to come and reclaim it's dog." It wasn't as if adding possible 'kidnapping' on their list of accused crimes would be the worst of them.
"Shit."

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2009, 10:17:36 AM »
Snorting, Robin considered for a moment.  "It's not the worst thing we've ever done, that's for sure.  I can check with our sources, see who might be looking promising.  There just aren't many people he keeps close, you know?  I mean, there's his cousin, that might be a good avenue to think about.  But the way he treats people, I think there is no one whom he would risk life and limb to get back."  Robin shook his head a little, brow wrinkling in frustration.  "Really, I'd like to just destory this castle around his ears, but I'm fairly sure the King wouldn't approve."

Offline Shae Dravenmore

• Master Procrastinator
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Count/Countess
  • Life is an open beta test.
  • Awards NaNoWriMo Participant Has made 2,000+ posts Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2009, 02:14:19 PM »
((Posted for Hawkeye while she's in Alaska.  Her poor internet drip won't load the Guild.))

The large man leaned back against the trunk of a tree, which stood proudly right next to a stump, as if the piece of nature had pushed it over itself. A long blade of grass, as wide as John's thumb, mixed with thousands of others was easily snatched from the edge of the stream, and quickly popped into his mouth so the man was able to suck and chew its end as he listened to Robin speak. Quickly there came a smirk, and it wasn't friendly. "Who said anything about it being someone he's close to? We just need to find someone he wants to manipulate, and manipulate thems worse. Or we can gut him... I'd be a fan of tying his limbs to four horses, and havin' them run in every direction of the compus at once, and see which part of him holds the longest..."

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2009, 10:50:01 AM »
"See, this is why I keep you around.  Endlessly entertaining."  Though Robin had to admit the idea of quartering the bastard held a certain appeal.  "I'd like to save that particular punishment for the Sherrif himself.  I'm sure we can be creative with someone else.  What about his cousin?  That bastard would most likely have some good information.  We'll need to consider that a bit more closely."  Robin plucked his own piece of grass, though he just spun it between his fingers, somewhat entranced by the movement it made.  His mind drifted back from the Sherrif to Marian, the poor woman he'd stumbled upon in the creek.  Now she was a puzzle.  Oddly, and quite poorly, clothed, she had been damn near indecent, completely lost, and shocked by the whole situation.  Not that he could necessarily blame her; watching a man get spitted right before your eyes could be startling, but there was something else.  Something...innocent.  His eyes clouded as he played back their encounter.

Offline Shae Dravenmore

• Master Procrastinator
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Count/Countess
  • Awards NaNoWriMo Participant Has made 2,000+ posts Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2009, 09:18:43 AM »
Little John felt a rather devious smirk sprout on his lips, like a cat remembering a favored mouse he had batted around for hours on end. He would enjoy that... rendering the bastard limb from limb. Litterally. Perhaps take wooden splints, and replace every bone in his legs with them, and hand him over to the beavers in the pond to allow the creatures of the forest to take out their aggresions... though he couldn't be quite sure that once started, Little John would have the control to stop.

The blade of grass was twisted around with his tongue until he pulled the whole piece into his mouth; then swallowed. There was enough time for the devious look to shift into amused curriosity before he spoke again. "Now, as you replay what-ever happened in the woods when we parted ways... is she fully clothed or not? If not; share in the details, Robin, you've always had a useless knack for words."

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2009, 01:22:06 PM »
Shaken somewhat out of his contemplations, Robin shot Little John a wry glare.  "Of course she is, you pervert."  Robin paused a moment before a wide grin spread across his face.  "She is dripping wet, though."  Shifting a little, Robin turned to look back toward the camp, his grin fading a bit as he thought.  "John, I've got no idea where she came from.  I mean, I can't even place her from a different country.  She's just...off.  Her clothes, the way she speaks, everything.  And what in God's name should be done with her?  I'm not sure how I feel about allowing her to stay here, but to the same measure, we can't just turn her away."

Offline Shae Dravenmore

• Master Procrastinator
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2009, 02:48:49 PM »
Little John shrugged his thick shoulders, the gesture far more graceful then his size gave him credit for. Thick muscles bunched and rolled, and a pop sounded at the end where something along his spine snapped back into place. "Who says she's from elsewhere? Maybe she's fae-born?" He was only half joking, allowing that to settle for just a moment, before he spoke up his other thoughts. "Maybe you should find out why she was so deep in your forest to begin with, no supplies, no guide, and dressed so...slight? Is she running away or is she to be a distraction for us, batting those big, Doe-eyes..."

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2009, 11:10:23 AM »
"If she's meant to be a distraction, she's a remarkable one.  A gifted actress, because you can't fake a soul-deep fear of weapons and blood quite like that."  Narrowing his eyes in thought, Robin replayed pieces of their encounter, then shook himself.  "There is a reason I left her where I did.  Anyone who can make it more than ten minutes in that house is either entirely too determined, or desperate.  So we will see how she fares, and decide."

Offline Shae Dravenmore

• Master Procrastinator
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2009, 11:57:02 PM »
"You're a wicked man," Little John laughed, slapping his thick leg before pushing up to a stand, and raised his arms high over head. There came a series of deep cracks somewhere inside his body that was familiar to breaking stones. He didn't flinch in pain, but instead sighed with relief, and relaxed once again. "How long do you plan to keep your Lady of the Forest in their hands? Determined or desperate, its simply cruel to leave her to their care for too long." He shifted his weight, and narrowed his eyes as a sly grin spread across his lips. "Care for a wager?"

Offline Firefly23

• Guild Staff
  • Count/Countess
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2009, 10:14:08 AM »
Laughing, Robin also rose, glowering at his soaking clothing before deciding it was likely safe enough on the sum-warmed rock.  And if it wandered off...well, it wouldn't really matter.  "If she has any brains, she'll have fallen asleep, or escaped on her own.  While Marsha can be...energetic, and her mother able to talk the ears off God, they do take excellent care of distressed women.  I'm sure they will have tucked her up with some tea and a blanket.  But you are right, we should probably retrive her.  Besides, dinner should be ready soon."  His brows lifted as he considered the possibility of a bribe.  Anything to add non-violent excitement was nice.  "What...precisely...did you have in mind?"

Untitled Document

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. FARPWG - The Guild may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy (Magic site) (D&D site). For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING®, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS®, D&D®, PLAYER'S HANDBOOK 2®, and DUNGEON MASTER'S GUIDE® are trademark[s] of Wizards of the Coast and D&D® core rules, game mechanics, characters and their distinctive likenesses are the property of the Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website at (www.wizards.com)

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by any company unless specified. In order to review products Guild Members may reference trademarks and other intellectual property of these companies without intent to violate trademarks or copyrights.

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild provides forum boards, server space and bandwidth, without compensation, to support Idaho gaming and fandom.

This product is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool. process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your canceled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to ensure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in a well-ventilated are. Keep away from fire or flames. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. No transfers issued until the bus comes to a complete stop. Package sold by weight, not volume. Your mileage may vary. This article does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my cat. Don't quote me on that. Don't quote me on anything. All rights reserved. You may distribute this article freely but you may not make a profit from it. Terms are subject to change without notice. Illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental. Do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law. Hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat. Do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle. No substitutions allowed. For a limited time only. This article is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted. Caveat emptor. Article is provided "as is" without any warranties. Reader assumes full responsibility. An equal opportunity article. No shoes, no shirt, no articles. quantities are limited while supplies last. If any defects are discovered, do not attempt to read them yourself, but return to an authorized service center. Read at your own risk. Parental advisory - explicit lyrics. Text may contain explicit materials some readers may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised. Keep away from sunlight. Keep away from pets and small children. Limit one-per-family please. No money down. No purchase necessary. You need not be present to win. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Instructions are included. Action figures sold separately. No preservatives added. Slippery when wet. Safety goggles may be required during use. Sealed for your protection, do not read if safety seal is broken. Call before you dig. Not liable for damages arising from use or misuse. For external use only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading. Read only with proper ventilation. Avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool dry place. Keep away from open flames. Avoid contact with eyes and skin and avoid inhaling fumes. Do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not place near a flammable or magnetic source. Smoking this article could be hazardous to your health. The best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a condom. No salt, MSG, artificial color or flavoring added. If ingested, do not induce vomiting, and if symptoms persist, consult a physician. Articles are ribbed for your pleasure. Possible penalties for early withdrawal. Offer valid only at participating sites. Slightly higher west of the Rockies. Allow four to six weeks for delivery. must be 18 to read. Disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper reading, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized reading, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom vibrations, customer adjustments that are not covered in this list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB's, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.). Other restrictions may apply. This supersedes all previous notices.

Opinions in articles, posts and podcasts do not necessarily represent the views of The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild.

FARPWG The Guild © 2004-2017 Tim Boothby - All Rights are retained by those posting art, lyrics, messages and articles.

* About Me!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Here?

• Dot Guests: 11
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Most Recent

Re: The Tamber Saga by Milady Kim
[May 20, 2018, 07:16:39 PM]

Re: The Tamber Saga by Lord Palatine
[May 19, 2018, 09:03:11 PM]

[May 19, 2018, 08:16:30 AM]

[May 19, 2018, 12:47:30 AM]

[May 19, 2018, 12:32:27 AM]

[May 19, 2018, 12:21:34 AM]

[May 18, 2018, 11:44:55 PM]

[May 18, 2018, 11:08:14 PM]

[May 18, 2018, 09:07:24 PM]

[May 17, 2018, 11:48:39 PM]

[May 17, 2018, 11:38:05 PM]

[May 17, 2018, 11:10:44 PM]

[May 17, 2018, 11:06:29 PM]

[May 17, 2018, 10:33:01 PM]

[May 11, 2018, 09:32:31 PM]

Affiliated Sites

Red Zone Fandom Red Zone Fan Photography Scribe of the Realm Science Fox Serious Lesbian

Red Zone Galleries

Boise Area Conventions

Us Being Social

Guild on Facebook Red Zone Facebook Red Zone Twitter Red Zone Youtube