collapse

Author Topic: Shadow Hunter  (Read 15448 times)

Description:

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Lone Wolf Jigaru

  • Guest
Shadow Hunter
« on: February 16, 2009, 06:41:46 PM »
The city was in chaos.
Lower-class citizens, nobility, soldiers, thugs....everyone who lived there milled about, running about in a panic to spread the news to those who hadn't already heard...The prince was dead, together with the princess and heir...all brutally murdered in their chambers on the eve that they were to return to the capital.
"It's terrible. Blood smeared over the walls, their insides strewn about...I've seen some terrible things, but this...nothing could compare to this." one guard, face pale and drawn, could be overheard talking with two others, both listening raptly.
"But, Brogan, shouldn't your men have head something? Screams, fighting?"
"Yeah, no way they just up and allowed that kinda stuff to be done to them!"
"We heard the screams alright, but the door....we couldn't get it open in time. By the time we managed to break the damn thing down, it was too late....Gods...they were in pieces, the little heir hanging from the ceiling by his own intestines, body mauled and bled dry. I tell you, it was some sort of demon that did this...no man could have thought up the things that were done to them."
In the shadows nearby, an indistinguishable figure let a smirk touch its lips, stepping out and rapidly vanishing amongst the chaotic crowd of inhabitants, making for the city's exit....here, it was revealed that the situation had not degraded completely, as the guards were inspecting all persons and wagons exiting the city, hoping desperately to find some sign of who had murdered the royals in their midst. The figure paused, waiting patiently...the inspecting guard turned to give the gate-men the all-clear, and that was the cue...silent and unnoticed, the figure slipped into the wagon. As soon as it was through the gates and in the surrounding wood-line, the figure was free, rolling into concealment amongst the brush and vegetation...and now, it was visible. Lithe, slender, with skin as black as the shadows to which she clung, the female was built powerful, but with all the curves men found so appealing. Eyes glowed a red as deep as blood, with hair like liquid silver. She was laughing, now that she was in the clear.
"A man may not have been able to do it, my lovely, simple-minded sheep....but for a drow, it was no great stretch." Limbs flexed, working the stiffness of inactivity free. Prince, princess, and heir down...and i got rid of the king the other week. Only one left now, and that's the late prince's sister. Looks like I've got to get to the capital. She laughed again...the job was, so far, surprisingly easily considering the lucrative amount she was being paid. Which meant, naturally, that it would probably be the princess that provided the troublesome surprises, if there were any...after all, her employer this time was a human, so for him the job must have seemed nigh impossible. Not that she cared...just meant more gold for her.

hawkthethird

  • Guest
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 05:06:26 PM »

Lone Wolf Jigaru

  • Guest
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 06:04:36 PM »
The figure was swathed in heavy robes, hood and mask drawn, concealing all features beneath a wall of garments...the traditional garb for certain traveling merchants, now serving a much more nefarious purpose....it utterly concealed the lithe drow female who was scouting out the city's defenses. She watched as Falzheim passed...a cursory glance, the customary threat analysis. She had no way of knowing, after all, that he was now her target's guard. Still....what she saw was enough confirmation for her. Security here was tight, the officers of the guard being unusually thorough in their inspections for weak points. It would not be so easy to get in this time, especially if the rumours of the court hiring out some of the more...vicious mercenary groups as guards were true. She'd even heard one was led by a drow. Naturally, she was quite skeptical about this....but she had not survived this long by discounting any possibilities. She would assume the worst; what mattered was the completion of the mission in the specified manner...to leave a message, in case the other brutal deaths of the royal family had not been heeded. Pushing off of the wall, Jiik-tai proceeded along her route, arriving shortly at an inn whose sign proclaimed it to be "The Silver Moon." She entered and approached the innkeeper, her voice muffled into indistinguishable tones. "Room for one." The wizened old man nodded, reaching under the counter to retrieve the key. "Only got one open, what with all the new folks coming in. It'll cost ya twenty gold pieces a night." She nodded her understanding and dropped a purse of sixty gold pieces onto the counter in front of him. "That's for three nights. I'll pay more if I stay longer." And before the startled man could react, she was already gone, ascending the stairway and proceeding toward the only door that lacked a convenient 'Occupied' sign. Opening it, she let herself in and closed the door behind her, locking it and slipping a deadbolt into place, followed by the same spell she had used during the prince's assassination...it would keep the door closed, basically. A slap of her palm on the floor in the middle of the room brought the innate globe of darkness to life around her...she wanted no one to witness what occurred next. she slipped free of the stifling, constricting robes, flexing her naked body with a small sigh and muttering under her breath "By the Abyss, I hate that getup." She would don her customary gear later...after all, no one could see her now. And this was important business. A light came to life upon the tip of her right index finger, and soon resolved itself into a magical flame. Kneeling down, she used this flame to begin burning glyphs into the wooden flooring, creating a spiral pattern...and upon completion, she gave a little smirk, snuffing the flame out as she placed both hands flat upon the curving, outermost edges. The sibilant drow language rolled from her lips in barely more than a whisper as the runes began to glow a gentle blue, unseen in the blackness. "Come forth, you who claim Death's name...I have for you a proposal that could present you with....entertainment." She smirked softly...and that was time. Her orb winked out, reaching its time limit for remaining...only to be replaced as a thick, black mist invaded the room, swirling out from the very shadows themselves to cover the room in a shroud of darkness, the female's smirk growing into a predatory grin as she calmly folded her arms beneath her breasts....he was coming. The one they called Death Stalker was answering her call.
It seemed this mission might be more fun that she had thought.

Offline Shae Dravenmore

  • Master Procrastinator
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Count/Countess
  • *
  • Posts: 2312
  • Karma: 12
  • Gender: Female
  • Life is an open beta test.
  • Awards NaNoWriMo Participant Has made 2,000+ posts Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Awards
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 06:29:05 PM »
Lady Princess Aranitessa Milongetta Pristilla stared out the massive window of the study, looking over her father's city, a study in stoicism as she stood, moving not a muscle, and appearing as a pillar of ebon fabrics that might as well have been a silhouette against the bright backdrop of the window.  She still wore the mourning garments demanded by her father's passing, and only that morning had she received the terrible news about her brother.  She wished for solitude, but after these most recent events, she never went anywhere with anything less than a score of her father's finest men.  Men who would gladly face a demon to carry out their duties.  It seems that that is what we now face...

Of course, she had wept over the death of her beloved father, but now, even in the face of the brutality committed against her brother, her spine was straight, and the tears long cleared from her cheeks.  It was not with sorrow that she looked over the city - now her city - but with such cold rage that the guards that stood near her wished to inch away from the fury of her aura.  Whoever had done this would answer for their crimes.  She would see their entrails strewn about like so much confetti, and leave them outside the gates for the carrion birds and creeping things to feed upon.  The head would be posted on a pike for all to see, and to know the consequences of such dire actions against the crown.

A soft rap came at the door, and a moment later the steward entered the study, feeling the dire atmosphere, but paying it no mind.  He knew well the Princess' mood.  He strode purposefully across the floor, a tall, angular man with wire spectacles and thin, coppery blond hair that fell about messily, defying the simple thong of leather that attempted to hold the long tresses in order at the back of his head.  He stopped before the desk that was framed by the window, and cleared his voice gently.  "Mistress, the representative is due to be arriving shortly."  
There was a long pause, before at last a long sigh issued quietly from behind the black veil that obscured her face.  "Thank you.  I shall receive him in the lesser reception hall."
"Yes, Mistress..."  The steward excused himself to tend to his many duties, leaving her once more alone with her guard.  The air in the room thickened, however, though this time it was from the mood of her guard.  Though they were not being replaced, they took offense with the fact that the Princess had hired a mercenary as extra protection rather than trust herself to their care.  However, the order had been given, and an example already made; if any of them so much spoke a word if displeasure, they would have their tongue removed.

It was a little known secret just how involved the Princess Arani actually was in the business of her father's city.  Being the daughter, she would never be in line to ascend the throne unless a tragedy - such as this - were to occur, and then it would be through regency in conjunction with her steward until she married.  But Arani had no such intentions.  She had made peace with the fact that society would not give her the throne, and had wished her brother and his child health and long life with true love for them.  She had instead turned her sights to other endeavors through which to make her father's kingdom better; outwardly heading charities and other such philanthropy.  But in secret, and behind the facades of men and their businesses, she controlled much of the mercantile in the city.  After all, it would be nothing short of shameful for the Princess to be involved in such things.  But she had her fingers everywhere, and was now willing to push those fingers deeper in order to find her family's murderer.  Even so far as to call on the Massive.

So she waited for the mercenaries and the dark elf with pink eyes who led them.  Patiently staring out over the city.  She knew she would be next on the assassin's list, but she met the idea without fear.  If this monster wanted a fight, she would give it all she had before she rolled over and died, and let her city plunge into chaos.

hawkthethird

  • Guest
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 08:05:54 PM »
Almost immediately his spine began to tingle as Laohs attempted to contact him. Accepting, the drow
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 08:24:00 PM by hawkthethird »

Hige

  • Guest
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 09:35:55 PM »
This foreigner had just arrived in the city's boundaries. From a country on a different continent[who rarely came about to do business with the late King], a different breed had arrived to check out the scene. They had received word of a termination of their trades, but hadn't heard anything back for several weeks. Whether the order of business had been put off, or they decided not to reply at all had angered this one's master. Now, the entire time she's been on the continent, she had heard of the very recent murderings of the majority of the Royal family....

Traipsing through the shadows, and avoiding the view of wall and border guards, Nariya slid up against the large stone boundary wall to the city. Her cloak covering her figure, even her hands hidden in the long sleeves. Her mission was not necessarily to interfere, but to find out what had been happening. Only needing to get involved if she needed. Her country had been good business partners with the King and Prince, trading in rare minerals and some arcane artifacts. If she found it profitable for her country to provide aide, she would. Otherwise, she needed to investigate.

She could sense the presence of a couple walking behind her- through the wall, but her senses couldn't reach the limits to the top of it- where the guards were patrolling. Surely the rumors had been true of the probably regicide, the guard was on heavy alert it seemed, having noted several guards posted atop the walls, and at the gates. Even for her, this would not be easy to enter unseen.

From where she was, out of her peripheral vision, she could see a trader's caravan approaching the city gates. . . Maybe i could pose as part of the caravan... or sneak in with cargo...? Slipped through her mind. Without a second's hesitation, she pressed a hand into the shadow of the wall, allowing her to use the cloak's ability to move through the shadows more swiftly, and barely seen. She pressed for the gate, but the caravan had arrived too quickly, or her too slowly. Cursing in her mind, she was nearly ten yards from a set of gate guards, still half pressed against the wall, shifting with the shadow of the moon, the lanterns, and stars on the wall, and sparse brush along the wall.

She watched as the caravan of a couple horses pulling a small cart, with a handfull of what seemed to be mounted guards and the merchants themselves. The guards had their attention still on the small convoy as they passed through. Tch... How am I supposed to get in here? I don't want to have to harm any of the guards- that would be a terrible representation... She squinted, trying to focus on the gate guard's attention. That route would be impossible. I'm going to have to do it... It's a risk i have to take. She repeated to herself in her head several times before standing straight up, and hustling further away from the guards, still pressed to the shadows. She stopped, and stepped away. It was almost as if she were coming from a dense symbiotic mist- the way she escaped the shadows, and how they pulled off of her and her cloak.

She inhaled deeply, and stared up to the catwalk above her- awaiting to see a bobbing head pass the opposite direction.... Just as she saw it, she leapt onto the wall- and started to run up it's side, vertically. As if gravity held no meaning to her. Her posture was at a high sprint, leaning forward, arms held back to perfect her balance. It was very predatory. After about twenty five long paces, she slowed down to a crawl. Her heart pumped as she knew her boots that allowed her to walk like this would slowly start letting her slip.

Changing her posture from a crouch to literally- a crawl, or from a normal point of view, it looked as if she were manually climbing the wall, clinging to it with her hands and feet. She slowly crept upwards, feeling her feet beginning to slip a little, she made one last stride, arms outstretched- gripping the stone ledge. This took the focus from her boots as they just sort of shut themselves down. She was now supporting her own weight in a 'cat' stance, her feet tucked in, arms straight up to balance out the weight and remain hanging. The cloak wadded up on her midsection from the balled up stance, and dangling behind her awkwardly. The sleeves slid back to below her elbows.... Once she confirmed that no one was in her immediate vicinity, or that no one in the immediate vicinity of the walkway was looking toward her, she vaulted the wall, and landed silently on the stone walkway in a crouched position, Cloak covering her figure, and the large sleeves flopped back over her arms, concealing even her hands yet again.

A smirk crossed her lightly painted lips... I'm in.... Now... to investigate further... She slid across the catwalk, and down the wall, pressing into the shadows... Ah.. The city, such an easy environment to conceal yourself in..

Lone Wolf Jigaru

  • Guest
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 10:02:07 PM »
The female's lips curled ina sinister grin as the shadowmist continued to thicken about the room. The aura of violence, of a promised, painful death, seemed to suck all the joy and warmth from the room, leaving her breath fogging the air before her face, her bare skin tingling...nerves thrilled and eyes glowing a bright purple in excitement.
He was coming.
There was a single sound...the thump of a boot on the wood, and abruptly, he mist began to swirl into a vortex, sucked into the body of the male drow before her. He was big for a male, muscles taut and drawing ebony skin tight across a lithe frame. A blood red, tattered sideskirt swirled around his left leg, and weapons were visible all over his figure....a katana sheathed over his left hip, kodachi sheathed along his waist with the hilt behind the right hip, four dirks sheathed around his right thigh, a dagger sheathed hilt-down beneath each forearm, and another on each bicep. A medium-sized bow and quiver of twenty arrows were slung on his back, inning diagonally from right shoulder to left hip, the belt running opposite, with a metal plate curving over the left shoulder. Ten four-point shuriken were buckled along the belt, running across his chest, and his eyes....they glowed a bright ruby. Eyes that had seen more blood than even she. She fell to her knees, bowing her head, unashamed by her nakedness...after all, drow had more important things than modesty to worry about. Her voice breathed his name, barely more than a whisper fogging the chill air as he glared impassively down at her form.
"Elghinn...Arisa. Death Stalker.....you actually came."
Slowly, the new male nodded. "I did give you my word when last we met, Jiik-tai. This had better not be a waste of my time, though...or I will just go ahead and kill you as well."
She shivered in fear, hating herself for the show of weakness even as it passed. Only he could do such a thing to her. "Enough, Elghinn. I am far better prepared than when you beat me last time...though probably nowhere near what you have protecting you. Bastard. I need your help with a job."
"That so?"
"Yes. The job is to kill the last surviving member of royalty for this kingdom...in a manner fit to send a message. I took care of the rest of the family, but....she is well guarded. I hear she is even recruiting a drow mercenary company; though it isn't Bregan D'aerthe. If I am to reach the Princess...I need you to deal with these mercenaries and he guards. If it is easier than i am expecting, I'll pay you triple the usual amount."
"Triple, huh? Sounds lucrative. But I'll be taking everything of yours if this is a waste of my time...I will just make you serve me. Until I get tired of you or kill you...so I'd advise you hope it's worse than you expect, Jiik-tai."
She grit her teeth in frustration, lifting her eyes...he was as she recalled. Rings glittered on his fingers and in his ears, and his body was almost blinding when viewed through magical sight...so many spells and counter-spells and other magics flowed around his body so copiously, it was virtually impossible to distinguish the weaves from each other. Slowly, she nodded her acquiescence...she had no choice now. "Very well." A glance out the window revealed that the sun still shone upon the city. "We will make our move at midnight." The male drow nodded as Jiik-tai summoned the shadows herself, the darkness swirling around her figure...and departing, leaving her to rise to her feet wearing her light-weight, form-fitting armor, the heels digging into the wood slightly as the shadows then created the double-bladed word in her left hand before scouring the floor clear of the burn marks. "The shadows, after all...are our greatest ally." Elghinn smirked at this comment, amending it rather simply. "Along with the complacence of bored guards. Heh."

Offline Shae Dravenmore

  • Master Procrastinator
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Count/Countess
  • *
  • Posts: 2312
  • Karma: 12
  • Gender: Female
  • Life is an open beta test.
  • Awards NaNoWriMo Participant Has made 2,000+ posts Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Awards
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 11:14:54 PM »
Laohs didn't have to holler and yowl for too long before the sound of armored movement rose in a hall opposite of the rear wall.  And if that didn't catch his attention, then surely he would at least deign to take note of the simple door to the rear of the largely ceremonial room opening and issuing forth a number of armed men in regalia similar to, but distinct from that of the regular guard.  They spread around the room, each of them to a one eying the masked Drow and his accomplice with nothing short of suspicion and dislike.  At last the princess appeared through the door, followed by the last four of her twenty elite guards.  Her dress was black and of simple cut, flattering to her figure as a princess' wardrobe should be, even in mourning, but beyond that there were little frills to it.  The black veil shadowed her face, though her body language clearly portrayed a young woman in mourning for the loss of those dear to her.  But if Falzheim could indeed sense the mood of those within the castle, then he would well know that her portrayal of weakness and fear were nothing but an act.  No doubt he would also sense the anger boiling under the surface.
Princess Arani didn't know who she expected to come to her, but at once she knew the one with the masked face must be the drow Laohs.  "I thank you for your speed and willingness in this matter..."  Her voice was soft, eyes downcast, though now and again they rose to take them in.  "As I stated in my initial missive, my father the King is dead.  In the wake of my brother's terrible murder, I now fear for my own life."  Fear?  ...No.  Never fear.  She knew it was certain, though.  "Before we go any further, I must ask, have you the signed contract of your duties?  I would see that we are all in accord of what is expected of you, until these terrible events may be resolved."  Her eyes lifted once more to them, their color indiscernible behind the veil, but her gaze was steady, and she no longer looked away from them.

hawkthethird

  • Guest
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 12:42:43 AM »
         There was a brief moment of dissapointment as the princess entered, though it quickly passed. There was no fear on the woman, but something even more enjoyable: anger. When he picked up on that, a warm feeling entered Falzheim's chest, planting a smile on his face that he couldn't bear to refuse. The absence of fear and presence of anger boosted the woman's stature in his eyes. Now, he offered her a bit more respect. Falzheim acknowledged the princess with a simple nod, as Laohs did with a bow.

"Lady."

         Laohs bent low, removing the hood, but not the mask. His white hair fell over the pointed ears, and he shook his head a bit. The two listened to her opening statements, as uneccessary as it was. Such was the problem with formalities. They were a waste of time, because both parties involved well understood why they were meeting each other.
As she asked if he had signed the contract, Laohs couldn't help but to show a wide smile. Suddenly, the features of the mask became pronounced, cheekbones suddenly apparent in the prop as they mimicked the drow's facial expression behind the mask. Laohs nodded, reaching into the leather coat. He withdrew the slender rod in which the contract with the two names was stored. A flick of his wrist tossed it to Falz, who snatched it from the air. Slowly, he strode forward, offering the document to the princess. Clearly, he had no care for any sort of protocol there may have been involving approaching the royal.
         Falzheim proved to be just as strange in appearance as Laohs, though the quality may not have been attributed to his clothing. His eyes, behind a pair of glasses, glowed a soft orange, two slight indicators of the presence within. The ends of his messy black hair seemed to have been stained with a gray substance. A portion of his heavily tattooed neck was visible, particularly the large arrow that had been permanently inked on the underside of his chin. He turned, and made his way back across the room to stand near Laohs.

         "I have done more than signed it, Lady Aranitessa. I pored over the contract, tirelessly. I daresay I may have memorized the thing, although such voracious reading did detract from my nap time." This was true. "We understand the duties, but feel free to review them if you'd like." A second thought occured, as they frequently did with the dark elf. "As you know, I am Laohs L'am'Shamri, of the Massive." The drow had taken a few steps forward. He swung his left arm out wide, indicating the young man behind and to his left. "This.."

"Is Falzheim." The other came in where Laohs had trailed off, seeing the beginning of Laohs' display as uneccessary as her formalities.
Then the dark elf shrugged, nodding back towards the princess. "You may continue dear."
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 02:13:58 AM by hawkthethird »

Offline AnEmperor

  • Game Master
  • Knight Bachelor
  • *
  • Posts: 318
  • Karma: 8
  • Gender: Male
  • Awards NaNoWriMo Participant A Board Game Master
    • Awards
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 02:43:32 AM »

Each of Tera's feet take lead of the other at a usually unmatched pace. She was once a simple messenger of the highest council member, but he who had royal blood running through his veins became victim to she who thrived off it. With her pride as a forest elf casually pushed to the back of her mind, Tera accepted the promotion to be the new council's eyes and ears as her step is often ahead of others. She isn't a fighter, no. The elf would turn tail and run when the chances of survival dropped from nil to none. She isn't praised for intelligence either; yet she harvested enough common sense to grasp most situations and the possible extent to which danger would be present. Tera is fast! The form for which her body takes slices through the wind without resistance. Her clothing is skin tight, shaping her arms, legs, and body perfectly, and at the same time, ensuring that the added weight and texture complimented her speed.

At the moment, the elf's feet have been slowed from a quick dash to a hasty walk inside the halls. The palace that resides in the forest, half submerged beneath the vast body of water extending on the east side, is home to the elves whom often lost the rights to the "outside" world to the humans. It is, but it isn't, a rule to walk within the palace halls. The rule clearly states that all elves must have, be, and confide in everything the humans do not and for this particular council, elegance is at the top of the list.  Still, the news ready to leap from Tera's lips sought to push the rule to its limits for not a second more could be wasted.

The elf will push several doors to the side as she makes her way to the final depths of the corridor. While the elves themselves turned to the light for power, their newest council preferred the darkness. The council that was once five members has not dwindled to a single elf; but instead, eradicated until only she remained. "Lady Ryuuken!" The dark elf who laid waste to the old elven system, lies across a large wooden structure much like a coffin, with her limbs nonchalantly dangling to either side. At the call of her name, Ryuuken turns her head toward the voice and identifies Tera in her eyes. "Lady Ryuuken, the news is true. The king is no more and as with the bloodline that runs through the males of that family, so is the barrier."

"Good morning, Tera," Ryuuken responds opening her eyes gently to the elf. The darkness that appears to snag the iris slowly crosses the medium of their sockets until they rested on Tera's.
"Go--good morning Lady Ryuuken!" Tera responds immediately, placing her hands to her front with her head down in shame. "Milady, only the princess remains; though, she is well protected."

"It does not matter how many guard her," the dark elf grins veering her eyes toward the ceiling. A slight tap resounds from the wooden structure under her casual position. "You want the humans gone correct?"
"Y--yes milady! Though, I thought you needed royal blood to extend your life?"

"Your council was more than enough to fill me. However, Tera," the dark elf extends her slender arm to grace the slim jaw of the messenger elf before her. "If you want me to devour her soul, I will. The humans have pushed you to the forest's edge and even into the water. They have no honor and neither do I."
"You have elegance, milady," Tera grasps Ryuuken's hand against her own cheek and closes her eyes to envision the future promised to her by this dark elf whose overall presence knows no bounds.

(ooc: hm, I hope this is okay, if not, just let me know. It looked like there were too many "good" guys ;-) )

Lone Wolf Jigaru

  • Guest
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 06:43:02 AM »
Elghinn had lost patience. He had agreed with Jiik-tai to wait until midnight, but as the minutes ticked by, he became restless....this avor was detracting from his time examining ancient artifacts of power, a hobby of his similar to Laohs' obsession. A rough kick in the leg awoke the female drow as Elghinn made the decision for her. "We move now." She glared, but ultimately rose with a nod...one did not argue with someone like this male. As one, the two drow stepped into the corners of the room, and sank into the deepest shadows there...they were on their way.

Mere heartbeats after this, the two bodyguards would doubtless sense a single new presence, several seconds before they saw him....for there was, after all, no sound to announce his arrival as Elghinn dropped from the cieling, landing in a crouch behind the mercenaries, even with his back toward them, a smirk on his lips. He spoke in the drow tongue as he slowly rose to a standing position. "Ah, so you are the hired help....how entertaining. I hope you can make this job worth my time..." slender fingers flexed, knuckles crackling in a ripple as he turned to face them, ruby eyes glowing softly even as the royal guards drew their weapons in shock and surprise. No sound...one moment he was not there, the next he fell from the ceiling. To all appearances, the assassin had shown himself. His accoutrement of odd little charms and such like finally emitted noise, clinking and jingling softly as the light caught off the silver rings and earrings. "So then, how should we do this? I don't suppose I can just tell you to  get out of the way, right?"

Even as he was speaking, Jiiktai observed in a different part of the castle, secloistered in the dark rafters in one of the towers, the shadows manipulated and hardened into a 'crystal ball,' through which she was observing the situation, awaiting her cue.

It had begun.

Hige

  • Guest
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 12:01:26 PM »
Again, this one found herself scaling walls. After having speedily scaling another stone wall, Nariya slipped over the parapets and into a tower. From the tower she was able to access a hallway to the main keep itself. The pale blue-gray skin of the elf's face glinted a bit under the single torch lighting the hall. In her mind, there would no doubt be a guard at the end of this hallway guarding the door that entered the castle interior. Taking the advantage of the lack of light here, she again pressed her cloaked body into the shadows.

Floating across the wall, she came closer, and there it was. The browns and oranges from the colors of the walls now lit by another torch began eating away at her means of shadow transportation. Here now, she could see the glinting of the door about 30 yards ahead. Standing on either side of the door, though, were two armed guards. That chainmail armor, and the skull-caps that the guards wore were all too familiar to her. The sword belt and the blades attached to them were, too... Though this time, they weren't the enemy.

This is going to be a bit more troublesome than i thought.. She pondered, curled up in the shadows just before the light of the torch destroyed them. after a brief moment of planning, she would do something that could raise some alert by the guards...

She again backed up, and shifted with the shadows. At a sprint speed, she continued along the wall- and then she began moving up it- as the oval pattern of light dimmed- she shifted out of the shadow for just long enough to pass through the dim orange illuminated wall. If they had a very good look, she would have been running along the wall toward the corner of the wall and ceiling. Though after maybe a split second, she plunged back into the shadow, and slid down the wall.

Both the guards noticed it- it would have been impossible if they hadn't. One guard began to walk toward the light slowly, ready to draw his sword at a moment's notice. With the left hand on the belt, right on the handle of the sword, the guard continued shuffling forward. The other one waited a brief moment before attempting to open the door. Luckily, Nariya had been through this all before- so she continued speedily toward the second guard, unlocking and opening the door. The man had unlocked the door, letting in a cascade of light and colors from the lit room inside. Vibrant carpets, and tapestries on the walls reflected into the dark hallway. Silently, and now forcibly freed from the shadows, Nariya crept right up on the guard, but didn't harm him she waited until he was inside. He began hustling for the nearest other guard. Surely, the alert would be put up of a dark skinned, white haired intruder.

Now inside, Nariya was home free, just about. She had infiltrated many high security facilities before- but this one was slightly different. She hadn't been given any layouts, or maps, drawings, nothing. She was also not here to kill someone. She watched the guard jog away. She took an enormous leap to the rafters, swinging herself up and again, melding with what little shadows there were. She stopped for a moment to breathe out the tension- she could have been captured.

Moving slowly, Nariya watched below her- seeing three guards pass under her, moving back to the hallway. Grumbling their frustrations and cursing their incapability to have seen more than a split second of an image. She caught word of a possible rise in security. Also caught word of something about a mercenary guard unit. Not surprising in situations like this. Paying for external help due to the circumstances, and likely- the mercenary group's reputation.

She had continued moving, running from the rafters, to the walls, dark corridors and corners to evade the guards' sight. It wasn't easy at all- she'd done this before but never without proper preparation. Even though she could sense others' presence at a short distance, it didn't make it easy for her to find a hiding spot spur of the moment. The entire infiltration had been rush after rush. It would be so much easier if Master would just let me kill them... She groaned in her mind, watching another solo guard pass her by. These guards looked different. Maybe Elite, then again it could be a part of a mercenary force. She had no idea, so she just continued on. Then she heard it- a commotion nearby. She carefully scurried through the hallways toward the sounds...

This could either be very good, or very bad..... She thought, her hand reaching inside her buttoned cloak, she put her hand on a single short black tanto, with a non-reflective blade. She tried to figure the best way into the next room, and shifted back into the shadow of a corner, hearing guards hustling down the corridor she was in- heading in her direction. THey were moving toward the center of the keep now. As they passed, they were discussing the intrusion- seeing a dark skinned, white haired cloaked figure before them, heading their way, having disappeared after entry. Seems like i'm getting more fame than i want... Nariya thought.... The guards were moving to alert their superiors, and fast. Nariya jumped between the walls so she could latch herself onto the corner of the wall and ceiling. She moved toward the room with the commotion through the shadows, trying to remain above the regular sight as possible.

Offline Shae Dravenmore

  • Master Procrastinator
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Count/Countess
  • *
  • Posts: 2312
  • Karma: 12
  • Gender: Female
  • Life is an open beta test.
  • Awards NaNoWriMo Participant Has made 2,000+ posts Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Awards
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 12:56:45 PM »
The guard to her left stepped forward as Falzheim approached and took the case from him, barely containing a snort of contempt, and passed it to the princess.  She took the scroll case in hand and examined the contents, looking over the parchment to be sure that no alterations had been made, and then examined the two names scrawled delicately across the bottom.  All was in order.  Returning the contract to the case, she once more handed it to her guard, and returned her eyes to those two before her.  "Reveal your faces to me.  I would know those to whom I am to entrust my life."  All pretenses of formality were gone.  Now it was time for business.

Indeed, business had come to hand rather suddenly.  The words had scarcely left her lips when the form was falling from the rafters.  She drew a sharp breath in through her nose and her heart rate elevated, adrenaline pulsing through the veins at the appearance of danger.  Her guard, after the initial shock of the Drow's sudden appearance, were in place in seconds, rushing to her side and front as the intruder rose and spoke.  Even so, even through the racing of her heart, there was no fear from the princess.  Her next words were cold and sharp, and she glared beyond Laohs and Falzheim to the other.  "You know your duties."  It was time to see if her gold and trust had been well spent, of if she would join her family in the afterlife.

Offline AnEmperor

  • Game Master
  • Knight Bachelor
  • *
  • Posts: 318
  • Karma: 8
  • Gender: Male
  • Awards NaNoWriMo Participant A Board Game Master
    • Awards
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 01:08:47 PM »
The order has been given; the soft parting of Ryuuken's lips is more than enough to bring the city to life. Word spread quickly, using the leaves of the forest as stepping stones to traverse in all directions. They are to prepare for war. Ryuuken would not wait for the kingdom to gather its strength wishing to stir chaos into an already confused mixture; after all, the dark elf has nothing of greater importance to tend to. She doesn't rule the kingdom per-say, she simply dominates with a powerful hand to those who would refuse her and a hope of eliminating the humans for those who welcomed her. Formalities and proceedings were left in the capable hands that made her rise to power possible. Thus far, none of the rebels display even the slightest bit of regret.

"You don't have to hold back, Tera," Ryuuken pulls her arm away from the messenger girl to sit erect atop of the structure. Gravity pulls Ryuuken's long white hair into a natural spread over her shoulders but the dark elf always finds herself pushing a couple stray strands away from her eyes. At the moment, she doesn't have the usual head gear to keep her hair at bay and she is partially armored the rest of the way down. She doesn't have the usual elven armor of her people since she hasn't lived among them in almost a decade; however, she found the forest elves' attired to be quite flexible and durable. Ryuuken ordered a darker version to be constructed for her and after taking into account her strength, the blacksmiths added an extra coating. "They've taken many a thing from you..." Ryuuken allows the words to sink in as she brushes her long fingers against the elves cheeks. Sliding off the structure until her feet graces the marble beneath her, Ryuuken turns to the structure that continues to release the low vibrations of a pleading cry. Two elves who stood along the wall near the door rush to the structure to make way of its latches. In three motions, the top of the coffin is opened to reveal a fragile human woman making an attempt to scurry as far away from everyone as possible; however, there is nowhere for her to go.

Ryuuken steps up to look down upon the woman whose eyes have now locked onto Ryuuken's silver hues. The moon-like pair hover over the woman's body in curiosity, examining every inch of her as the goosebumps rise accordingly. "Don't...please don't..." the woman cries even though she knows nothing of Ryuuken's capabilities nor what the dark elf was after. Ryuuken merely brought her hand down within the coffin just over her body when the woman kicked her away. The guards are ready to strike but Ryuuken instructs them otherwise; she needs this woman alive. Ryuuken's eyes return to the woman with a very slight grin, whom after some time has yet to understand what is happening. The force of gravity over her body begins to increase and the force of Ryuuken's presence suppresses her to the floor of the coffin. The woman is unable to move her hands, her feet, or even her neck to say she could look at anything but straight up at the ceiling. Not even her cries escaped the downward pull; the signal of her plea escapes her lips, then comes back down full force upon her.

Ryuuken brings her hand back down to the woman, whose eyes will roll to investigate. Gently, Ryuuken places her palm on the woman's chest as she mumbles inaudible words--words that will slowly begin to make the hostage feel uneasy. The woman's eyes slowly begin to blur, her body begins to feel loose and all hope of escaping this gravity is diminished. The woman forces her vision to focus once more but she'll regret having done so. The phenomena her witness now is enough to force tears from them, tears that quickly stroll down the sides of her cheeks to the bottom of the coffin. The woman doesn't have to know anything to understand what Ryuuken is taking from her. The out-of-body, out-of-mind feeling is her soul being uprooted from its rightful place within her. The glow rising from her chest into Ryuuken's palm is not pure white, but slightly grayish and tainted with streaks of black. The off-white represents the impurity of the soul while the streaks of black is the binding Ryuuken uses to hold the soul by ensnaring it with her dark mana.

Ryuuken turns to Tera, whom wants to take a step back out of fear but finds herself pulled forward by Ryuuken's gravity turned horizontal. Tera stumbles forward in front of Ryuuken, whom now places her other hand on Tera's chest. "There's no need to worry," Ryuuken's voice is like a chemical disturbance to the girl's focus whose eyes track Ryuuken's fingers down her chest seemingly parting her clothing with just a finger. Partly naked now, Ryuuken brings the extracted soul to Tera...

Tera jumps in her spot and blinks her eyes wildly. Was it a dream, she wonders? She looks over to Ryuuken, whom lies across the top of the structure. Nothing has changed. Nobody has moved. "Go now," Ryuuken speaks, almost never directly at anyone. "I want to know the state of that place. I want to know the state of its princess. I want to know...what her soul tastes like..." Ryuuken's body jerks slightly from the ecstasy of having imagined what the princess' soul tastes like. Breathing heavily for a moment, before grinning widely, Ryuuken then settles down. "You should be well under the cover of prying eyes. Hurry now, what keeps you from your desires is the haste at which you bring me what I want." The words crawl into Tera's ears and nestle in her heart.

"Yes, Lady Ryuuken!" she says strongly before dashing out into the hallway.

"Should ya have sent her," an elf who remained quiet throughout the entire process steps out of the shadows and into the dim light. "Da humans know no allies."
"Her soul is coated with this one's," Ryuuken taps the structure beneath her body. "If they strike her for the response of this soul, then the humans are truly a despicable species." Ryuuken's body jerks once more and a slight moan escapes her lips. "Ira, having touched that soul has made me unsettled. Please, bring me the last council member. I will feed on his."

"As ya wish milady."

hawkthethird

  • Guest
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 05:25:41 PM »
((Sorry about the wait. Didn't want to post this until I got the other profile up. Here's the link... http://www.farpwg.org/smf/index.php?topic=462.0 ))

Laohs offered only a smirk at her order to remove his mask. Other than this facial expression, he made no movement.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 07:51:09 PM by hawkthethird »

Lone Wolf Jigaru

  • Guest
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 06:12:55 PM »
Elghinn smirked....and, though the other two did not move to assume any kind of battle stance, he did. While the opponent drow reached into his cloak and continued to speak, he slid his left foot forward, lowering himself into a crouch, fingers of his right hand curling lightly around the handle of the kodachi on his back, left hand lifting to hover lightly before his body...a mimic of a martial-arts stance. Ruby eyes glowed as they focused, that predatory grin spreading across his lips. "Indeed, let's. Though....I am no cousin of yours." The bolts lashed out at his body, and with a swift, cat-like reaction, his legs tossed him to the side....a hop that really only served to just barely escape the bolts coming from the wand while maintaining, for the most part, the crouched stance he had assumed.
"Wands? Don't make me laugh. Our kind really are not prone to delve into the further reaches of the Weave, are they? Physical manifestations to carry spells...It's just plain....encumbering." he shifted his hand from the kodachi handle to that of the katana, reversing his stance as well so that his right foot led, his left hand curling about the scabbard at the belt, thumb extending to press the blade free with a gentle click, a bare inch of polished silver gleaming in the dim light, the faint traces of a blood-red aura swimming along the edge.
"It is customary for me to know the name of my opponent before I kill them. Or shall I simply refer to you as The Mask and The Assistant?" He smirked a little bit, awaiting their response...he would not move just yet. This was all a game for him, and he had all night to play.

Jiik-tai observed the encounter through the ball that hovered before her, the smile growing upon her lips. Elghinn truly was an arrogant piece of work, but she supposed he had earned it. "That's right...distract them. Pull them away from the Princess...they don't know what is going on. They are your true targets, and utterly unaware of the fact." Her purple eyes narrowed as she waited....it would take longer than she would have liked, owing to her partner's need to flex his arrogance, but she had little doubt that it would happen. She shifted her scrying over to her target, the Princess, then to the male who seemed to be paired with the opposing drow that was exchanging banter with Elghinn. Something was off about him. He seemed human, but...he had to be special. Few were the normal humans that would stick around to fight a drow alongside another drow. Her eyes flared brightly for a moment, searing the male's features into her mind. That one would bear watching. Her scrying gaze then sifted back to observing the encounter between Elghinn and Laohs...it was quite interesting. A flexing of her will, and their voices would be added to the atmosphere of her observation...why not? She might as well hear what they said.

hawkthethird

  • Guest
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 07:49:28 PM »
The bolts continued their crackling path until they slammed into the wall behind the assassin, blasting a scorched crater into the wall and causing several peices of it to tumble to the floor. Contract hadn't said anything about him reimbursing her for damages.
       Another laugh, coming from a deep, healthy place in Laohs' belly. He heard the words, but took no offense. His opponent wouldn't have been drow without the cocky banter, after all. There was a resigned sigh as he began to tuck away the wand, as leisurely as though he was putting away a timepiece. "Don't fret. I did not come to throw dooms and blights your way, no. I am no mage, and no priest. Those methods leave too little blood and too much ash for my tastes." His hands crossed his body and fell to their opposite sides, left to right, right to left, as though ready to grip the hilts of unseen weapons. "Refer to us however you like...seeing as how I am not about to be killed by you, my name will not reach your ears any time soon." This was accompanied by something akin to a giggle.
       With the faint sound of rushing wind, blackness poured from his sleeves and solidified, composing his two favored weapons. The first, a wicked looking double edged blade. The second, an elegant single edged weapon. Both looked as though they'd been forged from tumbled onyx. Pleasant sensations reached his body when they were in his hands. Though the swords were not sentient, the three were meant to be together, friends in the best sort of way. The drow pushed his left foot slightly in front of the other before darting forward, ferrying himself across the room with a few light steps. His opening attacks were nothing heavy; As with the lightning, he simply needed to see the other drow react. Two quick slashes from the right sword, followed in with a feinting stab from the left, followed by a real, short stab. An opening that allowed him to stay defensive with both weapons. Both feet were spready evenly, both to balance himself, but also to provide room for a quick maneuver if need be.

       Falzheim knew well not to interupt the swordplay, not that he would have anyhow, what with the nagging scrying and all. He turned and peered upwards curiously, casting his gaze in a scanning manner, though he knew he'd see nothing. But there was surely another watching. The longer the feeling persisted, the more certain he became. Orange eyes flickered to the princess, casting her a fleeting, hardly concerned glance. Falzheim was doubtful that the ring the guard had formed around her would hold long if another opponent arrived. The young man turned slightly, keeping his back to the nearest wall so that the two drow were on his right, and the princess on his left.
 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 07:59:19 PM by hawkthethird »

Offline Shae Dravenmore

  • Master Procrastinator
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Count/Countess
  • *
  • Posts: 2312
  • Karma: 12
  • Gender: Female
  • Life is an open beta test.
  • Awards NaNoWriMo Participant Has made 2,000+ posts Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Awards
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 08:11:43 PM »
Arani held her ground, even as the two began to battle.  Running would do her no good.  If the mercenaries and her guard could not protect her from this, then no one could.  Running would only delay the inevitable, and make her out to be a coward.  Her hands remained clasped loosely before her, though her right hand did twitch just slightly on top of the left when the battle began.  Following this, her left gripped loosely at the folds of her dress; perhaps a nervous habit?  Her elite guard remained armed and ready, but did not yet jump into the fray.  Let the hirelings waste themselves and tire the opponent.  However, Falzheim was allowed to remain at her side.  After all, the boy had been hired.  Let him keep the lady company while battle-tested men handled the assassin. 

When he was close, Arani shifted closer, not out of a need for reassurance, but to speak in low tones without distracting her guard.  "You sense another."  She had seen his upcast glance, and had spoken enough times with others with a magical nature to know when they sensed more than was obvious.  "Can you tell from where they watch?"

Lone Wolf Jigaru

  • Guest
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 08:34:51 PM »
Elghinn did not yet draw...just as his opponent was testing him, he was testing his opponent. Laohs' blades flickered and slashed, thrust and flowed through the motions of a skilled swordsman....but Elghinn seemed to constantly be one step ahead of the whirling blades, his body flowing in ducks, hops, and jerks to evade each attack, each time utilizing minimal energy and strength so that the blades would pass bare millimeters from his bare skin. He was gradually worked backwards...and then he made his move. A leap back instead of a hop, feet spread out in a stance that would have him low to the ground, body tilted forward, grip tightening upon the katana handle...as he was planted onto...the wall. He hung their, horizontal, boot soles seeming to grip the wall like a spider's legs, a smirk touching his lips. "You are no mage or cleric, you say? Such a shame, because I am not barred by that particular lack of expertise. Have a sample, my complements." The blade flashed out in a draw that mimicked battou-jutsu, a wave of roiling black flames flashing forth towards his opponent....a lethal attack, these flames from the Abyss would consume all that they contacted...magic, physical, or spiritual. The only downside was the limited range...the very nature of the flames meant they also consumed themselves, and thus could only travel a distance of 15-20 feet, depending on the amount released. This particular shot would last 15 feet, which was plenty considering the assaults the other drow had been launching on his person. The wave itself was the target's height, extending from the top of his head to just above the floor as it rushed at him while Elghinn chuckled cruelly behind it, pushing from the wall and executing a neat flip, landing neatly between Laohs' current position and the princess...he had little doubt that the other could avoid the flame; in fact, he hoped he would. For his opponent to die so easily would be....boring. He let his katana dangle easily by his side, utterly calm. "Ah, how rude of me, my dear mercenary couple. I believe that in all the excitement, I failed to introduce myself. I am called Elghinn Arisa...or, as your people might say, Princess....the Stalker of Death." The dim red glow was clearly visible now, running entirely along the blade's edge as the drow turned to face his current opponent once more...it was time to get down to business.

Jiik-tai cursed softly as she witnessed the male human-thing looking about. "Vith! He can sense the scrying! Guess this option's run it's course, no telling if he can trace it too." A wave of her hand, and the orb dissipated, breaking apart into black mist and vanishing as though it had never been. Light fingers drummed her knees lightly as she mulled the turn of events over. She still needed to know when the time was right for her to make a move, but at the rate this was going she would be discovered if she went in person....that left her with few options for observation. She cursed again. "Why does the last one have to be such a pain in the ass?" she grumbled bad-temperedly. She would wait a while longer as she mulled over her options...but for now, it seemed she must rely upon Elghinn to deal with those two bodyguards. It all hinged on that.

Offline AnEmperor

  • Game Master
  • Knight Bachelor
  • *
  • Posts: 318
  • Karma: 8
  • Gender: Male
  • Awards NaNoWriMo Participant A Board Game Master
    • Awards
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 08:39:20 PM »
Tera's horse gallops swiftly through a courtyard leading to a gate where she would no longer be behind the walls of her home. Archers patrol in the high towers at the gates, as well as along the building's rooftops with their bows over their shoulders next to a cylindrical pouch of arrows. As elves, they are known for their marksmanship with the arrow and as forest elves, their accuracy increased ten-fold to avoid leaves and branches. Tera was different; the female elf could not hit a tree standing before her let alone slice through its leaves unscathed and into a target. Tera didn't let the 'finer details', as she put it, deter her from achieving anything. Where she fails, her other physical abilities have made her useful.

Tera brings her chest lower to the horses' mantle to ensure they could reach optimum speed with as little wind resistance as possible. The road to the kingdom could take any horse and carriage a day and half to traverse but because Tera lived deep within the forest, she could cut directly across and avoid the roads. The forest is a dangerous trail, especially at night, but for the forest elf, it's sounds, and trails are second nature. Add in Tera's slender form with a seemingly unfed horse and the two could literally cut the trip's time in half. Armor did not hold them back because Tera wore none. The most the elf carries with her is a small dagger strapped at her lower back. She is obligated to carry one even though she plans to never use it. Her first and foremost tactic should be to run.

Tera's eyes envision the kingdom they would be approaching in half a day's time. She's been there many times before but as the days passed, the rate at which elves were allowed into the city diminished greatly. Tera was never truly enlightened of the reason behind it. She took it upon herself to assume that it was the nature of the humans; that is, to conquer with the promise of amnesty yet slowly weed out the participants of that contract in a 'legal' manner. The more the humans expand, the less forest there is for what the elves call home. A part of the dispute arose from the trade of wood, which, the forest could not handle the demands of the humans. When the trade suffered, so did their relationship.

Hige

  • Guest
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 09:04:56 PM »
She noticed that the guards lessened as she approached a large hallway with a few side openings, and a door at the end... The door in particular where she could feel several presences beyond...

What was she to do? She heard voices from inside... Almost echoing, murmuring over the quiet white noise in the hallways. Apparently the guards moving to alert the captain had been here, because there isn't anyone in the hall... That, or the captains had been inside the room where the light ruckus is going o-

Her thought process was interrupted by the distinct sound of summoned lightning. She hurried to outside the door, two large tapestries were on the walls either side of the door, so Nariya planted herself against the cold hard wall next to the door. She leaned her head back, her hair lightly touching the wall now, too. She closed her eyes so she could listen more intently.

The light from the chandelier above was just enough to keep her from being able to shift with the shadows. But it mattered not, now. She stood there, a black figure against the wall, save for her gray blue face, and white hair. Looked like a moon elf with a hooded, collar-less, pocket-less, all black, calf-length coat on. Her boots were a Neutral Blue-Black color with dark gray embroidery, now barely able to be seen....

---"... as how i am not about to be killed by you, my name will not reach your ears any time soon."

was all she heard clearly... Was the princess in there? There was definitely something bad happening inside.. There had to be some way of finding out... She wanted to move about- maybe see if there were any adjoining rooms, maybe see if she could see in from a window outside... But if she did that- she could lose her chance at ever finding out what is going on. They might leave the moment she scurries out of the hallway.

It was then that she felt the presence of another. Though, oddly enough, it was an indirect one... Also inside... was someone keeping a watch on what was happening inside? Maybe it was the princess keeping an eye on things... Or maybe.... Her thought trail took a different turn. If there's someone watching them- that means there could be someone watching me? Her small bit of clairvoyance only brought her so much information... Her internal queries about drove her nuts... She had enough things to worry about- the clairvoyant feeling of people inside the room she had her back to, making sure no one was returning to this hallway, and now her own mind was driving her nuts.

She felt a few more guardsmen approaching down the hall, about to turn. Bad... She thought to herself. She lunged away from the wall. The hall was shaped like an 'I'. Two corridors to her immediate right and left, the hall, and two corridors entering the hallway. She sprinted down the hallway to her right- or to the left of the door. It was there she saw it. At the top of the dark hallway- was a bit of light. A small, half-circular, barred 'window' leading to the room where she could hear much more clearly. The window was up near the ceiling, about 20 feet above her. she leapt up, and her gentle hands clasped onto the stone bottom of the window, instead of gripping the iron bars- letting the ones inside see her if looking.

She was again in the 'cat' stance. Arms straight, knees tucked into her chest, and her feet pressing onto the wall, balancing her weight between her feet and hands, making it easier to hold longer... Hopefully her boots would regain some sort of charge soon. She didn't want to hang here forever... She slowly raised her self up with her arms, just so her eyes were level with the opening- to see inside. The light reached her eyes, and it took a moment for her to see clearly.. Though now she could see the busts of the persons inside.

There was an elegantly dressed woman with a few personal guards, then two drow males, and a larger human looking male backing closer to the 'princess'... Of course...... She saw one male strike out, and black flames from the sword danced forward....
Then she still felt another presence, but couldn't see it. She controlled her breathing and relaxed her arms again, lowering herself back into the cat stance. Now she saw what they looked like, she could put the clairvoyant emotions to images in her head. it all made things easier for her mind to process that way... she tracked their movement this way... Would she need to intervene? or would she continue to play the neutral party, continuing to investigate her countries' investment..?

The guards that were coming to the main hallway would surely be trying to alert the princess inside of an intruder.... Nariya... Though then they would probably mistake that intruder for one of the Drow males inside... Good for Her. That is, if that was the guards' intentions to returning to the study door. Such an interesting night. A simple investigation turning in such uneven twists...

hawkthethird

  • Guest
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
             Falzheim replied in equally low tones, shifting only slightly closer to the princess.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 06:45:19 PM by hawkthethird »

Offline Shae Dravenmore

  • Master Procrastinator
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Count/Countess
  • *
  • Posts: 2312
  • Karma: 12
  • Gender: Female
  • Life is an open beta test.
  • Awards NaNoWriMo Participant Has made 2,000+ posts Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Awards
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 09:32:24 PM »
She gasped softly as he spoke.  On the grounds...  Then no where was safe.  A part of her had hoped, perhaps foolishly, that there would be only one, and that any others watching would be simply observing to assure that the deed was done.  If there were more than one already here, then whoever had send these dogs had wanted to be very certain that she was dead.  Arani weighed his words carefully.  More patrols would be the most prudent, were this but a normal assassin.  Little as she knew of the Underdark, she knew their assassins were brutal and effective.  But if the one to confront them was Drow, then most likely so was the other that sat concealed.  The guard would be strengthened, patrols moving in greater numbers, but first, they would have to survive this attack...  It seemed her wisdom in summoning the Massive was even greater than she had known.  Who better to fight against the dark elves than one who had left their fold?
Falzheim's report of a third troubled her, and her eyes went immediately to the small window across the room.  There were only three access points into the reception hall; the door Laohs and Falzheim had entered through, the door she had entered, and the window from the hall, which allowed her guard to keep tabs on the happenings within.  If a third had penetrated this far into the castle, then she could only assume at this point that the guards between here and the entry were dead.

She moved from Falzheim to the nearest of her Elite, and gestured with her chin to the window.  "Another, in the hall, watching.  Quickly now, go!"  His eyes traveled to the window as well, and in a matter of moments an entire conversation had been had between he and his superior, and the others around him with small hand motions and soft whispers of sound.  Seven broke from the armored wall and the others readjusted, and they moved quickly through the door they had entered through, before the watcher in the hall could lift herself up to look again.  They collected others of the general guard as they went, moving quickly around through the halls to catch the intruder.  In fact, they would be arriving in that hallway about the same time as the patrol reached the doorway.

Lone Wolf Jigaru

  • Guest
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 10:33:33 PM »
Elghinn was, indeed, taken entirely by surprise. It was rare to find another with such a finely tuned talent for manipulating the energies of the very darkness itself so adeptly...and he certainly had not expected such a thing here. The cuts all contacted his form, the force of the blows causing him to grunt and stagger slightly, even drop to one knee after the flurry ended. He flexed his muscles experimentally...despite the many contacts, there were no cuts to be seen. Slowly, he rose again. "I applaud your skill...you caught me entirely by surprise. However...you are not the only one with magical trinkets." He darted forward, his body shifting into a translucent form, katana held out to the side...the rush was quick, performed in the Astral Plane, and the cut of the blade aimed as though to bisect the opponent drow was meant for one thing...to destroy the man's soul. As the lade finished its swing, his body flickered back into the physical, instantly shifting to slip the katana back into its scabbard as he spun about to face either the husk of his opponent's body, or the new location that his foe had evaded to, eyes glowing as bright as a demon's. This was....wonderful. Still...he hoped his partner would move soon. Fun as this might be, it might just turn into too much for him to handle if the male guarding the princess decided to join in.

Jiik-tai had decided that it was time. She may have stopped scrying, but that did not ensure that her nearness went unnoticed. She would have to make her move a bit earlier than anticipated...seeing as Elghinn hadn't had enough time to kill off one of the guards yet. Still...some problems just couldn't be helped. Such was the nature of chaos. She lifted her staff-blade from the floor, twirling it lightly between her fingers before proceeding to calmly walk down the stairs, humming a soft, cheerful tune. The two guards at the bottom of the stairwell moved to stop her...and failed. A slash and reverse stab from the follow-through left one minus his throat and the other minus his heart. She moved on, smirking slightly. She knew what they would expect...an entrance from the shadows, just like Elghinn, just like her previous kills.
It was time for something new.
Flames whirled from the nearest torch, washing over her body...in an instant, the torch flames were normal, and the only evidence of her passage was the bodies of the two guards. Meanwhile, from a torch behind the princess...a whoosh of flame was all that would be audible as she hurled into the room, touching the floor lightly before executing a feat of acrobatics with an easy pirouette over the ring of guards, landing in a single hand-stand, her left hand touching the floor for an instant before the innate ability manifested itself, bringing up the globe of magical darkness...darkness tied to nothing more than her will, that even drow infravision could not penetrate. But her target had already been sighted and ranged. She let her arm fold, rolling forward to rise, her unique weapon spinning in a slashing movement at the princess' waist, aiming to cut her spinal cord in half. In the brief glimpse that might have been caught of her by the guards, the edges of these blades were seen to possess the same glow as Elghinn's...the enchantment that allowed the blade to rip through even the strongest physical defenses. Only the guards and anyone lucky enough to have glanced back at the princess would know of her appearance prior to the summoning of the darkness...she was fast, and every motion was made in complete silence...thanks to the one-use spell she had used. This situation called for such measures...she was hoping to get the in-and-out kill this time. Surprise...was essential. Still...perhaps the princess could react to the darkness fast enough. Luckily, Jiik's blades weren't poisoned, so a scratch wouldn't do much.

Offline Shae Dravenmore

  • Master Procrastinator
  • Guildmaster/Mistress
  • Count/Countess
  • *
  • Posts: 2312
  • Karma: 12
  • Gender: Female
  • Life is an open beta test.
  • Awards NaNoWriMo Participant Has made 2,000+ posts Has made 1,000+ posts Has made 500+ posts Significant assistance in troubleshooting problems A Founding Member of the Guild A Board Game Master
    • Awards
Re: Shadow Hunter
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 11:20:29 PM »
She never understood what exactly intuition was.  Never knew what force of nature or the mind that tingling of warning was that crept over the back of her neck when danger was imminent.  But neither did she ever ignore it.  Whatever the reason it hadn't shot up her spine when Elghinn appeared, as the torch flared behind her, that warning buzzed in her skin.  An instant later there was absolute darkness, and reflexes send the muscles that had bunched into action, springing her forward from that wicked blade and into the bodies of her guard.  There was a bustling of bodies, an arm wrapped around her waist and jerked her further, and after several quick steps, she and her guard were free from the globe of dark.  She was once more placed to the rear, all eyes trained on that darkness.  Arani touched her back, and scowled as she felt the torn fabric give way to skin, and when she drew her hand back forward, there was a slight smear of blood that corresponded to the sting that ran a few inches from just to the right of her spine.  But still, after that moment of examination, her hands returned to her front, her left again clutching at her skirt, her right on the bottom now, the fingers poking just slightly under one of the folds.  She had not seen the attacker, but knew that, whoever it was, it was more than likely the one that had been watching.

 

Untitled Document

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by Wizards of the Coast LLC. FARPWG - The Guild may use the trademarks and other intellectual property of Wizards of the Coast LLC, which is permitted under Wizards' Fan Site Policy (Magic site) (D&D site). For example, MAGIC: THE GATHERING®, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS®, D&D®, PLAYER'S HANDBOOK 2®, and DUNGEON MASTER'S GUIDE® are trademark[s] of Wizards of the Coast and D&D® core rules, game mechanics, characters and their distinctive likenesses are the property of the Wizards of the Coast. For more information about Wizards of the Coast or any of Wizards' trademarks or other intellectual property, please visit their website at (www.wizards.com)

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild is not affiliated with, endorsed, sponsored, or specifically approved by any company unless specified. In order to review products Guild Members may reference trademarks and other intellectual property of these companies without intent to violate trademarks or copyrights.

The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild provides forum boards, server space and bandwidth, without compensation, to support Idaho gaming and fandom.

This product is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool. process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your canceled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to ensure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in a well-ventilated are. Keep away from fire or flames. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. No transfers issued until the bus comes to a complete stop. Package sold by weight, not volume. Your mileage may vary. This article does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my cat. Don't quote me on that. Don't quote me on anything. All rights reserved. You may distribute this article freely but you may not make a profit from it. Terms are subject to change without notice. Illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental. Do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law. Hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat. Do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle. No substitutions allowed. For a limited time only. This article is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted. Caveat emptor. Article is provided "as is" without any warranties. Reader assumes full responsibility. An equal opportunity article. No shoes, no shirt, no articles. quantities are limited while supplies last. If any defects are discovered, do not attempt to read them yourself, but return to an authorized service center. Read at your own risk. Parental advisory - explicit lyrics. Text may contain explicit materials some readers may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised. Keep away from sunlight. Keep away from pets and small children. Limit one-per-family please. No money down. No purchase necessary. You need not be present to win. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Instructions are included. Action figures sold separately. No preservatives added. Slippery when wet. Safety goggles may be required during use. Sealed for your protection, do not read if safety seal is broken. Call before you dig. Not liable for damages arising from use or misuse. For external use only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading. Read only with proper ventilation. Avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool dry place. Keep away from open flames. Avoid contact with eyes and skin and avoid inhaling fumes. Do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not place near a flammable or magnetic source. Smoking this article could be hazardous to your health. The best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a condom. No salt, MSG, artificial color or flavoring added. If ingested, do not induce vomiting, and if symptoms persist, consult a physician. Articles are ribbed for your pleasure. Possible penalties for early withdrawal. Offer valid only at participating sites. Slightly higher west of the Rockies. Allow four to six weeks for delivery. must be 18 to read. Disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper reading, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized reading, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom vibrations, customer adjustments that are not covered in this list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB's, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.). Other restrictions may apply. This supersedes all previous notices.

Opinions in articles, posts and podcasts do not necessarily represent the views of The Fantasy Artists, RolePlayers & Writers Guild, aka FARPWG the Guild.

FARPWG The Guild © 2004-2017 Tim Boothby - All Rights are retained by those posting art, lyrics, messages and articles.

* About Me!

 
 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Here?

  • Dot Guests: 34
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Most Recent

Re: The Tamber Saga by Milady Kim
[May 20, 2018, 07:16:39 PM]


Re: The Tamber Saga by Lord Palatine
[May 19, 2018, 09:03:11 PM]


Re: The Tamber Saga by Milady Kim
[May 19, 2018, 08:16:30 AM]


Re: The Tamber Saga by Lord Palatine
[May 19, 2018, 12:47:30 AM]


Re: The Tamber Saga by Milady Kim
[May 19, 2018, 12:32:27 AM]


Re: The Tamber Saga by Lord Palatine
[May 19, 2018, 12:21:34 AM]


Re: The Tamber Saga by Milady Kim
[May 18, 2018, 11:44:55 PM]


Re: The Tamber Saga by Lord Palatine
[May 18, 2018, 11:08:14 PM]


Re: The Tamber Saga by Milady Kim
[May 18, 2018, 09:07:24 PM]


Re: The Tamber Saga by Lord Palatine
[May 17, 2018, 11:48:39 PM]


Re: The Tamber Saga by Milady Kim
[May 17, 2018, 11:38:05 PM]


Re: The Tamber Saga by Lord Palatine
[May 17, 2018, 11:10:44 PM]


Re: The Tamber Saga by Milady Kim
[May 17, 2018, 11:06:29 PM]


Re: The Tamber Saga by Lord Palatine
[May 17, 2018, 10:33:01 PM]


Re: The Tamber Saga by Milady Kim
[May 11, 2018, 09:32:31 PM]

Affiliated Sites

Red Zone Fandom Red Zone Fan Photography Scribe of the Realm Science Fox Serious Lesbian

Red Zone Galleries

Boise Area Conventions

Us Being Social

Guild on Facebook Red Zone Facebook Red Zone Twitter Red Zone Youtube